U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:31 PM

5,949 posts, read 12,769,952 times

Advertisements

I would really like to know if all you skim milk haters out there are drinking organic grass-fed milk or regular conventional milk?

I dare you to try a good quality skim milk - Organic Valley is a very good brand to try. Or find a Whole Foods and ask the dairy buyer for a sample of her highest quality skim milk. Prepare to be astounded at the difference.

Not all organic milks are the same. For example - Horizon brand organic milk is AWFUL. Seek out someone in the know and request a sample. You don't even have to buy it, just try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 11:14 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,886,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I would really like to know if all you skim milk haters out there are drinking organic grass-fed milk or regular conventional milk?

I dare you to try a good quality skim milk - Organic Valley is a very good brand to try. Or find a Whole Foods and ask the dairy buyer for a sample of her highest quality skim milk. Prepare to be astounded at the difference.

Not all organic milks are the same. For example - Horizon brand organic milk is AWFUL. Seek out someone in the know and request a sample. You don't even have to buy it, just try it.
I totally agree. A good organic skim milk, like Organic Valley is really good.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:57 PM

5,585 posts, read 804,813 times
DH drinks skimmed milk & I drink 2%, prob. not much of a difference, but to me there is enough of a difference that I continue to drink 2%. I've drank fresh cows milk, & don't much care for it. Never had almond milk,,, sure would love to try it, I will check in the grocery next time for it & give it a try.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:35 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,495,958 times
I've totally given up 2%, 1%, fat-free, no-taste milk.

I'm letting my inner-Amish express itself.

Heaven.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:49 PM

15,628 posts, read 29,385,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
There's a ton of milk in the fridge at work, which gets replenished every day to keep the denizens happy. I mostly make my coffee with skimmed milk and the last three days I've been tasting undisturbed whole milk, with all the fat in it.

And the verdict is it tastes so much better and more satisfying.

So I'm thinking, what's society's obsession with skimmed milk anyway, though it tastes like crap. I mean come on, 60 to 70 cals of fat per serving is NOT gonna make anyone obese.

But I am wondering what the verdict here is? Would you recommend whole milk for any other reason other than the taste?

I grew up drinking directly from the cows in our farms. So, whole milk here is not even that close, but it's getting there.
Not a milk drinker. But if I were, I would only drink 100 percent raw milk. If I could not find cow's milk then I would drink goat milk.

That grocery store stuff is crap.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-21-2011, 03:54 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,642,985 times
My husband and son drink milk with almost every meal and they drink 1%. I drink maybe two glasses a week. If I want non-black coffee I use whole cream!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:41 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,075,557 times
Almond milk is pretty good.

Coffee w/ sweetened condensed milk is grrrrrreat! lol

Old 08-23-2011, 10:08 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,784,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Not a milk drinker. But if I were, I would only drink 100 percent raw milk. If I could not find cow's milk then I would drink goat milk.

That grocery store stuff is crap.

20yrsinBranson
I've been doing whole milk the last month. Haven't got any fat. In fact, I'm at the fittest state in my life at the moment And frankly, whole milk feels like the cow milk I grew up drinking. I used to squeeze the cow udder directly into my mouth. Good times.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:23 AM

20,071 posts, read 13,828,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
There's a ton of milk in the fridge at work, which gets replenished every day to keep the denizens happy. I mostly make my coffee with skimmed milk and the last three days I've been tasting undisturbed whole milk, with all the fat in it.

And the verdict is it tastes so much better and more satisfying.

So I'm thinking, what's society's obsession with skimmed milk anyway, though it tastes like crap. I mean come on, 60 to 70 cals of fat per serving is NOT gonna make anyone obese.

But I am wondering what the verdict here is? Would you recommend whole milk for any other reason other than the taste?

I grew up drinking directly from the cows in our farms. So, whole milk here is not even that close, but it's getting there.
I always drink whole milk or 2%. I consider skim to be EXPENSIVE water.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:24 PM

5,901 posts, read 8,001,230 times
Im opposite to all you. I cant eat whole milk, but i LOVE skimmed one, I drink glasses of skimmed milk alone everyday and i love it. Whole milk taste its too fatty for me, i cant stand it.

Of course that if its in a cake or any sweet goods I eat it, but i dont buy it (i dont cook sweets cause i wanna stay in shape) and most people here dont buy the whole milk either, must people buy skimmed one.

Maybe what we call "skimmed" milk here is what you call 1% or 2% or whatever, cause it says "parcially uncreamed milk" not totally uncreamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or