Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:49 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
That's just it, I did grow up on veggies. Just never cared for them. And I have had it prepared in every way. My kids thankfully take after their father and eat them with no issues. It's just me. For me, I think sticking it in various dishes will most likely be the only way I will eat them regularly.

I may know the reason why and I am not trying to be offensive to anyone's preparation of meals.

Mr. CSD is one of 5 boys, Pop worked, Mom stayed home and she fixed good, healthy meals but Mr. CSD was not real fond of cooked vegetables either even though they were at every meal.

The reason was not the vegetable it was the way it was prepared, I don't know for sure but from what he has told me Mom was so busy with all the boys she put supper on the stove to cook and just boiled all of the vegetables until they were mushy.

I do not boil vegetables, never have, I have always steamed them or had them raw so when Mr. CSD started sharing my life I introduced him to steamed and raw vegetables and he loves them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 12:53 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I may know the reason why and I am not trying to be offensive to anyone's preparation of meals.

Mr. CSD is one of 5 boys, Pop worked, Mom stayed home and she fixed good, healthy meals but Mr. CSD was not real fond of cooked vegetables either even though they were at every meal.

The reason was not the vegetable it was the way it was prepared, I don't know for sure but from what he has told me Mom was so busy with all the boys she put supper on the stove to cook and just boiled all of the vegetables until they were mushy.

I do not boil vegetables, never have, I have always steamed them or had them raw so when Mr. CSD started sharing my life I introduced him to steamed and raw vegetables and he loves them.
My mom didn't cook much. I actually had them in various restaurants growing up as Mom made me order a veggie side, especially steakhouses or ethnic mom and pop restaurants. (we ate out 5 nights a week easily) That's why I said I have had them prepared in a huge variety of ways. I did love any cooked leafy greens so I got away with ordering primarily those. My mom thought it was hilarious to buy me several popeye cartoon shirts to wear.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
My mom didn't cook much. I actually had them in various restaurants growing up as Mom made me order a veggie side, especially steakhouses or ethnic mom and pop restaurants. (we ate out 5 nights a week easily) That's why I said I have had them prepared in a huge variety of ways. I did love any cooked leafy greens so I got away with ordering primarily those. My mom thought it was hilarious to buy me several popeye cartoon shirts to wear.

I would still venture to guess it was how they were prepared and the texture of the different preparation.
Restaurants are notorious for overcooking vegetables.

I cannot even fathom eating out that often even now as an adult we don't eat out unless I just don't feel good which usually means Mr. CSD cooks or we order a pizza because I don't feel like going out either.
Otherwise we eat out when we travel but only when we have to and never at fast food.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:59 PM

Just go to the produce section like I do and pick up whatever looks good then take it home and toss it all in a big salad.

The only ingredients that are the same in my salad are ice berg lettuce and romaine, the rest is whatever looks good.
I'll give you a couple examples:

Last week: romaine, ice berg, boston bib lettuce, leaf lettuce, white onions, green pepper, pepperoncini, shredded carrots, sliced celery, fresh sliced beets, sugar snap peas, flat leaf parsley, napa cabbage, bok choy, crimini mushrooms, fennel.

This week: romaine, ice berg, white cabbage, celery, sugar snap peas, white onion.

Next week: who knows but it will start with romaine and ice berg

Old 03-23-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would still venture to guess it was how they were prepared and the texture of the different preparation.
Restaurants are notorious for overcooking vegetables.

I cannot even fathom eating out that often even now as an adult we don't eat out unless I just don't feel good which usually means Mr. CSD cooks or we order a pizza because I don't feel like going out either.
Otherwise we eat out when we travel but only when we have to and never at fast food.
Thankfully the restaurants we went to were mom and pop joints. So "home" cooking but nothing fried or heavy. In fact my favorite place was a Greek place where they knew us by name. I always had the souvlaki with lemon mixed veggies and potatoes on the side. I get what you are saying though, but in my case it's the flavor. Texture doesn't bother me in the least.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:06 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
That's just it, I did grow up on veggies. Just never cared for them. And I have had it prepared in every way. My kids thankfully take after their father and eat them with no issues. It's just me. For me, I think sticking it in various dishes will most likely be the only way I will eat them regularly.
OH, well I guess I am wrong.

But I find almost all veggies are good if grilled properly.

Also there are a lot of videos on Youtube with recipes for everything. I usually know within 30 seconds if the person is someone I can learn from or not. If not I move on fast with extreme prejudice.

Try grilling fresh corn on the cob. YUMMY! While you are at it throw on some asparagus.

I do not have any books but I am going to give you my super secret super easy recipe for squash which I just learned within the last 5 years.

Buy an acorn squash.

They are usually 99 cents a pound at the store. Look for something that feels heavy for its size when you pick it up.

Take it home and wash the outside. Just get some dish or hand soap and wash the outside and rinse.

Now you can use a cutting board or a microwave safe plate for the next part. I accept no liability but if you are unsure just use a cutting board.

Take a pointy knife or even a large fork and poke holes in that sucker until they get into the middle. I like to do it with the little valleys. I do like 3-4 per quarter and then one on top and maybe bottom if it is not too hard.

Now here is the hard part. Put that sucker on a microwave plate and cook it on high for 12-14 minutes. You will get the feel of this with your microwave if you do it a few times. The steam will cook it which is why you want the holes in it, to keep it from exploding.

When it is done take it out and let is sit a few minutes. It will be hot. Now you will need a cutting board and a bigger knife. Carefully slice it from stem to stern until you have two halves. Careful of the steam.

GUT THAT SUCKER! Get out all of those seeds and fibers with a big spoon or a fork. cut out the stem. Now take maybe a little butter or margarine and put some on each side. Then a little salt and a as much fresh ground pepper as you and your family like. You could even pass on the salt and pepper and use some brown sugar if you wish. I like them plain sometimes. Let it all melt on there.

Now you can scoop it out or cut it into smaller pieces. Sometimes I eat the rind and others I do not. I can eat it plain.

You can also use this as a starter for a squash soup or take the halves and brown them in the broiler. Easy Peasy.

I hope it works out for you. Good luck in your search of veggie goodness.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
OH, well I guess I am wrong.

But I find almost all veggies are good if grilled properly.

Also there are a lot of videos on Youtube with recipes for everything. I usually know within 30 seconds if the person is someone I can learn from or not. If not I move on fast with extreme prejudice.

Try grilling fresh corn on the cob. YUMMY! While you are at it throw on some asparagus.

I do not have any books but I am going to give you my super secret super easy recipe for squash which I just learned within the last 5 years.

Buy an acorn squash.

They are usually 99 cents a pound at the store. Look for something that feels heavy for its size when you pick it up.

Take it home and wash the outside. Just get some dish or hand soap and wash the outside and rinse.

Now you can use a cutting board or a microwave safe plate for the next part. I accept no liability but if you are unsure just use a cutting board.

Take a pointy knife or even a large fork and poke holes in that sucker until they get into the middle. I like to do it with the little valleys. I do like 3-4 per quarter and then one on top and maybe bottom if it is not too hard.

Now here is the hard part. Put that sucker on a microwave plate and cook it on high for 12-14 minutes. You will get the feel of this with your microwave if you do it a few times. The steam will cook it which is why you want the holes in it, to keep it from exploding.

When it is done take it out and let is sit a few minutes. It will be hot. Now you will need a cutting board and a bigger knife. Carefully slice it from stem to stern until you have two halves. Careful of the steam.

GUT THAT SUCKER! Get out all of those seeds and fibers with a big spoon or a fork. cut out the stem. Now take maybe a little butter or margarine and put some on each side. Then a little salt and a as much fresh ground pepper as you and your family like. You could even pass on the salt and pepper and use some brown sugar if you wish. I like them plain sometimes. Let it all melt on there.

Now you can scoop it out or cut it into smaller pieces. Sometimes I eat the rind and others I do not. I can eat it plain.

You can also use this as a starter for a squash soup or take the halves and brown them in the broiler. Easy Peasy.

I hope it works out for you. Good luck in your search of veggie goodness.
Thank you! Sounds easy!

Old 03-23-2015, 08:17 PM

3,791 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Anyone can recommend a site or book on what each veggie is good for? I want to learn more about them as well.
Want to know how to cook vegetables? It makes sense to seek the advice of vegetarians!

There is a cookbook by vegetarian* chef Deborah Madison entitled Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. In it, she introduces the reader to a great many vegetables, discusses ways in which they can be used, and presents recipes revolving around those vegetables. It is an excellent cookbook for meat eater and vegetarian alike. It's for Everyone.

*note, I believe that Deborah Madison herself is not actually a vegetarian, but is a chef who has focused her career on vegetarian cooking.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:34 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
I like them by themselves. I eat green peppers like apples. They taste great chopped up in ground beef over rice for a simple dish. I make chicken Florentine a lot which calls for six cups of spinach, which we can't taste because it has so much good stuff in it.

We eat a salad every day and just change up the dressing. Right now we eat Cesar salads, and the dressing and crutons make it tasty.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Want to know how to cook vegetables? It makes sense to seek the advice of vegetarians!

There is a cookbook by vegetarian* chef Deborah Madison entitled Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. In it, she introduces the reader to a great many vegetables, discusses ways in which they can be used, and presents recipes revolving around those vegetables. It is an excellent cookbook for meat eater and vegetarian alike. It's for Everyone.

*note, I believe that Deborah Madison herself is not actually a vegetarian, but is a chef who has focused her career on vegetarian cooking.
Ooh thanks, will check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink