U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 9,918 times

Advertisements

Some mincemeat pies still have meat in them. Even if they don't have meat, often they still have suet (Beef or lamb fat) Borden Foods None Such® mincemeat pie filling - INGREDIENTS: WATER, CORN SYRUP, RAISINS, DRIED APPLES, MOLASSES, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, DISTILLED VINEGAR, DRIED CITRUS PEEL, SALT, SPICES, BEEF, BITTERS, PECTIN. Better read the label
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 05:06 AM

367 posts, read 1,510,069 times
The only way to have mince pies is to make the mincemeat yourself and do not include meat in it. Its really an English thing, unless your kids were brought up with it, or you were, it's unlikely you will eat it. Bit like that awful red cake they seem to have here in FL - what is up with that? When I make them, they don't last a few minutes and I have managed to convert quite a few (adult) friends to them at Christmas. Too rich in taste for the children though.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,582,076 times
Growing up in New England, mince pies were always part of the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays right a long with pumpkin and apple pies.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:04 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
Another New Englander's .02 cents - mincemeat pies are on the table at Thanksgiving and Christmas and the mince isn't missing the meat. If you don't make it yourself you can still buy it here with meat.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:12 AM

25,573 posts, read 23,769,893 times
Just the name is enough to make me lose it. Never had it and not sure Id ever wanna try it.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:36 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,108,791 times
Mince pies and fresh cream - oh heaven

Old 12-23-2008, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,412 times
Default Don't Buy Mincemeat Pie

Thank you for not buying mincemeat pie. There seems to be a shortage on them in some areas. I was lucky enough to find one at Kroger this week, but could not find any the last several times I looked.

Most people do not like the name and should steer clear of the pies in both the fresh and frozen areas. Making one from scratch, like my mom used to do or getting the canned mincemeat and pouring it into the homemade pie crust was especially good, but too much for me.

Spumoni ice cream is another thing you should probably not try

Merry Christmas & Thanks for leaving the pies on the shelf for me,
John

Old 12-23-2008, 07:07 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,184,827 times
hmmm....well there's some stuff I never expected to learn!

We have mince pies here all the time in Oz at Christmas. My Nan makes them for us every year and you can buy them ready made at all good bakeries and in supermarkets BUT they don't have meat in them!!! Bleurk!!!

It's fruit mince, which has all kinds of dried fruits and spices and a slosh of grog. They're really yummy with ice cream or cream or custard OR all three! You can buy them as little pies too, which are nice with coffee.

As to mince meat pies well we have those here in Australia too, it's sort of one of the national dishes. Meat pie and sauce!
Nothing like a 4 n' 20 with dead horse on a cold winter day!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:51 PM
bjh

26,095 posts, read 22,785,932 times
They were originally a way to use up all the little bits and pieces of otherwise unusable meat after doing the autumn butchering.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:24 PM

13,498 posts, read 29,444,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The Other Day I Bought A Buy One Get One Free On Pies And One Of Them I Purchased Was Mince Pie.

I Just Read The Definition And Now I Am Scared LOL

What Does It Taste Like?

Do You Like It?
They're nasty! There's a reason they were "buy 1 get 1 free", it's because nobody else bought them and the store was desperate to get rid of them. I fell for that trap one time myself. I ended up throwing them out in the woods for the animals to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink