U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:48 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,294,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I am so not into eating anything that isn't "natural". I am by no means a health food eater but I eat healthy. This just doesn't sound healthy to me. I could be wrong but as said by another poster I don't trust what our Government says--sorry! We will be told just about anything so they can rake in the $$$. Just my personal opinion. I'd rather go vegetarian.
And YES-----take a look at our FDA...do you trust them???
I certainly don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually, though in theory the cloning process produces an identical twin, in reality - as others have mentioned - the resulting animals are indeed prone to having health problems (read about Dolly the sheep: Dolly (sheep) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The reasons for this are not entirely clear - and may be resolved in time, but for now there does seem to be an increased risk of some diseases.

Regarding your statement about the gene pool and animal sperm banks - there will be NO sperm banks, cloning makes them unnecessary. The farming industry will clone directly off the most prized animals - possibly producing hundreds of thousands of copies of those animals with the most desirable traits and consequent cutting from the gene pool the vast majority of the rest.

Ken

This is exactly why I won't eat it. Its the fear of the unknown - your not trying out a new rollercoaster......you putting this stuff into your body! What if you decide to eat it and then in 2 years they say there's some new disease associated with it? I'll wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 AM

21,911 posts, read 20,936,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
I certainly don't!

This is exactly why I won't eat it. Its the fear of the unknown - your not trying out a new rollercoaster......you putting this stuff into your body! What if you decide to eat it and then in 2 years they say there's some new disease associated with it? I'll wait.
Better yet....A new disease the FDA thought up???? Even more $$$ to be made!!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:38 PM

13,155 posts, read 16,904,825 times
Quote:
Actually, though in theory the cloning process produces an identical twin, in reality - as others have mentioned - the resulting animals are indeed prone to having health problems (read about Dolly the sheep: Dolly (sheep) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The reasons for this are not entirely clear - and may be resolved in time, but for now there does seem to be an increased risk of some diseases.

Regarding your statement about the gene pool and animal sperm banks - there will be NO sperm banks, cloning makes them unnecessary. The farming industry will clone directly off the most prized animals - possibly producing hundreds of thousands of copies of those animals with the most desirable traits and consequently cutting from the gene pool the vast majority of the rest.

Ken
Hear! Hear. Ken knows what he's talking about.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:33 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,709,837 times
Quote:

Regarding your statement about the gene pool and animal sperm banks - there will be NO sperm banks, cloning makes them unnecessary. The farming industry will clone directly off the most prized animals - possibly producing hundreds of thousands of copies of those animals with the most desirable traits and consequently cutting from the gene pool the vast majority of the rest.

Ken
No sperm banks? Who says so? I am no geneticist, but even I know enough to see that as an unrealistic statement.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:03 PM

19,008 posts, read 21,975,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
No sperm banks? Who says so? I am no geneticist, but even I know enough to see that as an unrealistic statement.

Ah, cloning doesn't require sperm - that's what makes it different from normal reproduction. Cells are forced into a repoductive mode without genetic mixing - that's why (in theory) you end up with an exact duplicate of the original creature rather than a random mixing of genes from both parents (ie there is only ONE parent). For example, Dolly (the first cloned mammal) was cloned from an udder cell of an adult sheep. As a clone she had NO father - nor even really a mother as we think of it. A clone is not a result of sexual reproduction at all, but rather of asexual reproduction in the same sort of way that individual cells reproduce - only in the case of a clone, an entire individual is reproduced from a single cell - NOT from an egg and a sperm. That's what makes them a clone rather than just an offspring.

Cloning Mammals

Does that help you understand it a bit better?

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 01-18-2008 at 07:28 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 07:27 PM

PS to by RoaminRed -

Think of it this way: If you take a starfish and cut off one or more of it's "arms", the original starfish will grow new "arms" - but more remarkably, each of the severed "arms" will grow into a whole new starfish that looks like the original. Now you suddenly have multiple individuals - all "descended" from the orignal starfish, but without the need for an egg or a sperm.

Now, imagine that your finger was severed, and they could take that finger and create a whole new you from that finger. That would be a clone - an "exact" duplicate of you, a whole new person created without an egg or a sperm. That's what they do in cloning - only they start with a single cell rather than an entire finger - and so they could create thousands of such clones - all of which would look alike because there was no mixing of genes from two different parents, instead they all descended from you and you alone (without the need of 2 parents). Consequently, the new person doesn't really have a father or mother and was created without use of a sperm bank or a donated egg.

Ken

Old 01-19-2008, 12:22 AM

Opps!

I just realized I worded the final statement in the post above incorrectly.

An egg is involved, but it's an egg that's been stripped of it's DNA and is then just a skeletal cell - so it's not truly an egg anymore at that point - nor even really an intact cell anymore. The DNA from the cloned animal is the only DNA involved - hence my statement that there is no sperm or egg. There is an egg involved but at the time it's used, it is no longer really an egg.

I hope that makes sense.

Ken

Old 01-19-2008, 12:22 AM

4,542 posts, read 11,771,485 times
Well.... since the go-ahead has already been given, and the cloned meat won't be labeled, either they'll buy it and not know it OR it will be yet another thing that USA will not be exporting...

It really bothers me that once again, our government decides what we will and will not be told... we are EATING this stuff, feeding it to our children.

DOG AND CAT FOOD needs to be labeled, a mattress or pillow needs a label, yet cloned meat doesn't... there is something very wrong with this picture!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post

I wonder why other countries are saying that they will not be buying cloned products from us??? I wonder why???

Old 01-19-2008, 08:23 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,678,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Well.... since the go-ahead has already been given, and the cloned meat won't be labeled, either they'll buy it and not know it OR it will be yet another thing that USA will not be exporting...

It really bothers me that once again, our government decides what we will and will not be told... we are EATING this stuff, feeding it to our children.

DOG AND CAT FOOD needs to be labeled, a mattress or pillow needs a label, yet cloned meat doesn't... there is something very wrong with this picture!!!
Yes, there is something very wrong with this picture, makes me think there is some kind of hidden agenda at work here, am I the only one?
I think everyone that has posted, or read this thread,and agrees with what has been discussed, should contact their respective congressmen, and protest LOUDLY!

Last edited by kshe95girl; 01-19-2008 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 01-19-2008, 04:57 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,519 posts, read 4,938,981 times
Thumbs up Hello Valerie C!

GREAT POST VALERIE!!

Thank You!

This will definitely hurt our economy even more! If other countries will stop

importing our meat and or cloned products!

Has anyone checked the

value of the DOLLAR lately??? Well, it ain't worth what it used to be!

And the trend will continue lower!

THE GOVERNMENT DECIDING WHAT WE WILL BE TOLD OR NOT, treating us

like children??? On a need to know basis That is truly sad!!

The FDA does not have the man power or money to do the job that they are

supposed to be doing already, and now they are going to watch over CLONED

PRODUCTS???

At the very least they should label it, and it should be up to us, if we decide

to buy or not!

This will probably also increase the price of ORGANIC GRASS FED MEAT,

because this one will NOT have CLONED animals.

And YES VALERIE something is very wrong with this picture, if we have have

a label on our dog food, or pillow, yet our meat will be LABEL FREE!

WHAT WILL BE NEXT???

Thank You VALERIE!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink