Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:01 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if the places that raise and sell non-cloned meat will label their meat as such, "non-cloned"? It would make sense as many would rather buy non-cloned so it would make their sales go up--a smart more I'd think?! There is no law saying they can't label their products as non-cloned is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 07:04 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
the frightening thing that I am seeing is that there are no laws at all! At least not that I could find with a google search.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:06 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times
Thumbs up HELLO kshe95girl !

THANK YOU once again for the thread & posts!

I do agree with you! Is there a hidden agenda???

And YES we should STOP being so APATHETIC, and do something about this!

CONTACT YOUR CONGRESSMEN!! Do not wait until its TOO late!!

Thank You,

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Yes, there is something very wrong with this picture, makes me think there is some kind of hidden agenda at work here, am I the only one?
I think everyone that has posted, or read this thread,and agrees with what has been discussed, should contact their respective congressmen, and protest LOUDLY!

Old 01-21-2008, 05:38 PM

19 posts, read 88,034 times
When cloned meat is affordable enough to be found at your neighborhood grocery store, will it still be safe to assume that organic, free-range meat is safe (i.e. clone-free)? It seems that a cloned animal could grow up that way just as easily as a naturally conceived animal. So...do you anticipate that companies will start to advertise their meat as clone-free?

Yes, please contact your congressman. I have no problem with the FDA approving the meat. However, I have a serious problem with the lack of labeling requirement.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:11 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
It seems to me that many of the "organic" farmers would depend on their customers being satisfied with their products and would "want" to advertise "clone-free" just as they do free range and no pesticides. I would think it would really boost their sales. I know I would go that way!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:16 AM

that was my thought also. One would think that sales would increase for the organic farmers.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:48 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Ah, cloning doesn't require sperm - that's what makes it different from normal reproduction. Cells are forced into a repoductive mode without genetic mixing - that's why (in theory) you end up with an exact duplicate of the original creature rather than a random mixing of genes from both parents (ie there is only ONE parent). For example, Dolly (the first cloned mammal) was cloned from an udder cell of an adult sheep. As a clone she had NO father - nor even really a mother as we think of it. A clone is not a result of sexual reproduction at all, but rather of asexual reproduction in the same sort of way that individual cells reproduce - only in the case of a clone, an entire individual is reproduced from a single cell - NOT from an egg and a sperm. That's what makes them a clone rather than just an offspring.

Cloning Mammals

Does that help you understand it a bit better?

Ken
I understand it just fine, and I wasn't claiming that cloning needs sperm banks. I was saying that even if cloning is wide-spread, that there will always be animal sperm banks in order to maintain a generous gene-pool.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:42 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
that was my thought also. One would think that sales would increase for the organic farmers.
Sales are so high now that supply runs out a long time before demand is met. A friend who grows organic raspberries and blackberries has sold out for 2008 already. I don't grow enough to supply the inns and restaurants that want organic local food. People are paying more attention now to what they're eating and how it was raised than they have in decades.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Sales are so high now that supply runs out a long time before demand is met. A friend who grows organic raspberries and blackberries has sold out for 2008 already. I don't grow enough to supply the inns and restaurants that want organic local food. People are paying more attention now to what they're eating and how it was raised than they have in decades.
I grow most of my own produce and herbs, we are looking at cattle to raise organically for ourselves. I hope that other growers will see the demand for organic products, and make the switch. All those nasty pesticides are another thread entirely!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:53 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Label requirements here in the US and the rest of the world, still have way to many "loopholes and "grey areas".
I agree, totally, to toughen that up, to protect the integrity of the product and it's consumers.
Concerning cloning....even though the FDA approved cloned animals for the food chain, it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, because I still don't think, that enough research on it has been done.
What are the long term affects?
What about the labeling?
What about gene defects?
I am maybe a bit old fashioned but, why can't nature be nature...and continue with the "old fashioned method" and way?
Why does everything have to be manipulated, but in the meantime, the consumers are growing aware, demand to concentrate and go back to the "basics" aka "all natural" and organic foods?
People/ consumers certainly are NOT STUPID, by any means, and paying attention.....starting to live by "you ARE what you EAT!"
It's a huge market and growing, emphasizing the all natural and organic way, winning huge popularity......and, as an added benefit, providing me with job security!
Cloning food makes me feel I am in a test laboratory and making me feel uncomfortable......
But, that's just me......

Last edited by MB2; 01-23-2008 at 08:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink