U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:09 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,618,996 times

Advertisements

Sorry, couldnt get my link to work!
The FDA has approved the sale of cloned animal meat and other products for sale, saying it is safe.
I would like to know how everyone else feels about this.
I was not even sure if this would be the right forum, but since we are going to end up ingesting said products, let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,287,727 times
I think I will stop eating meat if they don't find a way to mark it as such. Its creepy to me. No one knows the side effects - if any - and although it makes sense why they would want to do this, I just don't think I will be able to get past the "not known" factor.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:03 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,697,610 times
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Besides, cloned meat is too expensive for the consumer market right now anyway. Animal cloning is mostly used for research and for reproducing animals that are superior in some way -- for instance cloning a dairy cow that is a very high volume producer.

Cloned meat is simply not something I'd worry about, but hey...bird flu is getting old and busted so the masses have to be afraid of something, right?

Old 01-16-2008, 09:09 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,689,364 times
Meat is meat. The DNA in the cells doesn't matter after I cook it up--it breaks down into simpler protein chains.

Don't eat much meat, anyway.

Honestly, I'm fine with cloned, GM, or otherwise improved foods. It's the processing, sugars, pesticides, herbicides, and preservatives that'll kill ya. I like GM foods because they tend to be disease-resistant and hardier, requiring less chemicals during their growth, thus putting fewer chemicals in my body. Plus they're bigger and cheaper.

If cloned meat will someday require fewer growth hormones, etc, injected into the animals, I'll gladly eat that over the dead flesh of some steroid-filled critter.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:42 AM

3,704 posts, read 4,143,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
I think I will stop eating meat if they don't find a way to mark it as such. Its creepy to me. No one knows the side effects - if any - and although it makes sense why they would want to do this, I just don't think I will be able to get past the "not known" factor.
Biologically it is the same as any other animal, it just happens to share the exact same genetic code as another animal. Think of it as a younger identical twin.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Same here.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,230,832 times
It costs to much to clone animals for now it the meat will be the off spring of the clone animals making it no different than non clone animals

I just wish they would use the clone technology on endangered wildlife

Old 01-16-2008, 11:46 AM

to me the whole thing is a slippery ethical slope we are venturing down, the ramifications are rather frightening if one stops to ponder it.
I agree with the poster that said we should use cloning for endangered wildlife.
As for me,I will NOT be spending $$$ on cloned products, for the same reason I will not eat veal, or buy chickens and eggs that are not free range, etc.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:56 AM

3,704 posts, read 4,143,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
to me the whole thing is a slippery ethical slope we are venturing down, the ramifications are rather frightening if one stops to ponder it.
I agree with the poster that said we should use cloning for endangered wildlife.
As for me,I will NOT be spending $$$ on cloned products, for the same reason I will not eat veal, or buy chickens and eggs that are not free range, etc.
But you haven't addressed the issue of what exactly is wrong with meat from cloned animals other than what appears to be a knee-jerk reaction. Cloned don't mean mistreated.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
But you haven't addressed the issue of what exactly is wrong with meat from cloned animals other than what appears to be a knee-jerk reaction. Cloned don't mean mistreated.
I started this thread to generate a thoughtful discussion. If one stops to think about how cloning has the possibility to narrow the gene pool of all these animals, it cannot be a good thing!
My last paragraph was my ethical statement, not a knee-jerk reaction. I dont believe I have ever had one of those in my life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink