Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 06:56 AM

350 posts, read 477,744 times

Advertisements

Since you have your own poultry, you do know that fresh eggs can be stored several weeks without refrigeration ... hard boiled eggs will spoil sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 07:25 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Will you be on undeveloped land with no electric hookup?. Will there be grocery stores?

If you can shop a few times while you are there, just get fresh fruit, veg locally and splurge for a steak or whatever fresh protein once in awhile if you can buy in small portions to cook for 1 meal.

If you are in uncivilized land, Maybe

Dry noodles or pasta to make a salad with cut up veg (make a sauce to toss it like with soy sauce, vinegar, peanut butter, chili)

Canned beans that can be put into salad, make into soup

Potatoes can be cooked in a lot of diff ways - boiled and smashed, fried in skillet, etc
Hi,

You are traveling to my neck of the woods. I will be glad to help you. There are a lot of places to get provisions that aren't on the map but we have a network here of folks that help one another out.

Feel free to DM me. Congrats on your new vacation home and thanks for helping the local economy out!

Old 04-11-2015, 07:51 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Lots of stuff comes in boxes... Zatarain's red beans and rice, Rice-A-Roni. Tuna Helper is easy. Use powdered milk,and butter sprinkles or leave out the butter all together. Beef Jerky can provide meat if you need that. You can buy roast beef and ham in cans. They make decent soups if you don't like them like that straight from the can. You can get pre-cooked bacon either in strips or as bacon pieces in he salad dressing area. I use the real bacon bits as a short cut in my cooking sometimes. You can get the individual packaged cheeses and meats like you see at Christmas that don't require refrigeration until you open them.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:08 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
lol come on down. I can't think of any place here where you can't buy ice.

You have a cooler. If its a good one and you keep it in the shade, it ought to keep things for a day or two. Freeze two or three (whatever your cooler will hold) gallon jugs full of water to begin with. Cold without wet. Clean cold water to drink. You might get someone to keep one in the freezer for you.

Good luck and welcome

Old 04-11-2015, 12:42 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Canned tuna/ham/chicken, some condiments you like, eggs, canned goods from chile to hearty soups. Do not forget the sweet side! Every gas station has ice and junk food
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
PB&J, granola, fruit, beef jerky.
Love it! I will have some cooking ability, with a camp stove. Not used to eating much out of cans (except our home-canned foods), but hey, this is an adventure, no? I sure hope every gas station has ice! They don't all have it up here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Lots of stuff comes in boxes... Zatarain's red beans and rice, Rice-A-Roni. Tuna Helper is easy. Use powdered milk,and butter sprinkles or leave out the butter all together. Beef Jerky can provide meat if you need that. You can buy roast beef and ham in cans. They make decent soups if you don't like them like that straight from the can. You can get pre-cooked bacon either in strips or as bacon pieces in he salad dressing area. I use the real bacon bits as a short cut in my cooking sometimes. You can get the individual packaged cheeses and meats like you see at Christmas that don't require refrigeration until you open them.
This is a great idea. The wife orders that stuff for gifts at Christmas. I'll ask her to get me some, ASAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
lol come on down. I can't think of any place here where you can't buy ice.

You have a cooler. If its a good one and you keep it in the shade, it ought to keep things for a day or two. Freeze two or three (whatever your cooler will hold) gallon jugs full of water to begin with. Cold without wet. Clean cold water to drink. You might get someone to keep one in the freezer for you.

Good luck and welcome
Thanks! I figured we'd like it in TN! And yes, that was my idea to start out with in the cooler -- plastic jugs with water, put into the freezer. You end up with a "block" of ice, rather than ice cubes. Should stay cooler longer!

Old 04-11-2015, 05:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I'd bring a selection of Mountain House freeze-dried foods in small pouches. For living rough you really can't do any better. Your cooking consists solely of boiling water. Their Pasta Primavera is my favorite. Mountain House is the oldest and the best.

My local Walmart carries some entrees; there's a fair selection. You can buy it online from Walmart, Amazon, and others as well.

I'm a regular on the Food forum. There's an extraordinary amount of information related to survival and self-sufficient living. Besides, since I eat every single day I intend to eat things that taste good.

Entrees: Mountain House

Old 04-12-2015, 09:38 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'd bring a selection of Mountain House freeze-dried foods in small pouches. For living rough you really can't do any better. Your cooking consists solely of boiling water. Their Pasta Primavera is my favorite. Mountain House is the oldest and the best.

My local Walmart carries some entrees; there's a fair selection. You can buy it online from Walmart, Amazon, and others as well.

I'm a regular on the Food forum. There's an extraordinary amount of information related to survival and self-sufficient living. Besides, since I eat every single day I intend to eat things that taste good.

Entrees: Mountain House
We actually have a fair selection of Mountain House foods. Most of them are packed away...it never occurred to me to take some out, but what else are we saving them for? That won't be the only food I'll bring, but it will be a great addition! Some other great ideas posted here, too!

I also hang out here a good bit. It's a nice, informative forum where there are hardly ever any 'food fights' and that's a blessing! Sad though, isn't it, that it's easier for me to power up a phone or tablet, than to have fresh meats and other cold-loving foods. Just a commentary on today's priorities...

Old 04-15-2015, 05:20 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I just happened to think of something that would make a great travel food, Steak Tartare; it can be as simple or as complicated as you wish. Just taking a piece in your hand, sprinkling with salt and pepper, and gobbling it down makes a mighty fine treat. As a sandwich it's great with dark rye or pumpernickel. It does need a bit more seasoning when touching bread, however. The best I ever had was called a Cannibal Sandwich at the Cameilla Grill in New Orleans.

Steak Tartare is like meatloaf in that you can add whatever strikes your fancy. Here's a recipe that's a good starting point. I add a 2'' ribbon of anchovy paste and a tsp of MSG for my umami sensors. A tsp of Worcestershireis right. I do not add much if any hot sauce. A tiny bit of fresh garlic is good, but if you're carrying garlic powder or garlic salt go very easy with it.

Original Steak Tartare Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 04-16-2015, 07:37 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
There are also 12v coolers that start at about $50. Some will even freeze and make ice. It may drain your battery if left on long enough but there are ways around that such as a solar charger. Just google for more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink