Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:48 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times

Advertisements

I know I read an article on the amount of water that's added to chicken a couple years ago, but I never really bought chicken before last year, so I really haven't anything to compare it to.

I do know when whole chickens go on sale for less than $1/lb, I buy about a 5 pound chicken and cook it in the crock pot. I'll season it some and then just stuff the chicken in the crock pot breast side down with absolutely nothing else in there (oh, I suppose I could add potatoes if I wanted to). I turn the crock pot to low and then I let the chicken cook for 8 or 9 hours. All that water in the chicken comes out and after about 4 hours, my chicken is sitting in a chicken water bath right up to the top of the crock pot. The skin isn't edible when the chicken is done, but as I peel the skin off anyway and don't eat it, that doesn't bother me. The rest of the chicken is fall off the bone tender. In fact, if you take it out and aren't real careful, it'll fall to pieces on you before you can get it to a plate.

One of these days I'm going to end up buying a chicken with no added water and scald the poor thing when I go to cook it like that in the crock pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 08:27 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
I think the thread got side tracked a bit. This is about pre-packaged chicken breast. This does not apply to leg quarters or whole chicken. Even though it is disclosed that they inject the meat with a liquid it is in small print and deceptive. Also, the packaging will often affect the weight which in turn affects what you pay per pound.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:01 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We pretty much buy local chickens from Hutterite colonies or other local sources. It's a hair more expensive but there is NO injection of any kind and the meat is 100% tastier than Purdue or other commercial operations. Huge, huge difference in taste.

I have never understood what someone's religion has to do with their ability to produce a good food product.

I have worked with and sold calves and steers to the Amish over the years and been on many of the farms. There are quite a few of them that I would NOT purchase products from as I do not like the way the product is handled on the way to the market. I would NOT pay a premium for most of the product.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
If they disclose the practice on the label.. How are they ripping you off? You have a choice as to whether or not you want to buy it. If people don't read the label.. It's pretty much on the, wouldn't you say?
we have a BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great answer..

here are some buzz-word definitions used in poultry ,

http://www.nationalchickencouncil.or...kopedia/#eight

Old 04-18-2015, 01:21 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
You may have a choice as to buying it or not, but if there is no other chicken offered that doesn't have water, where is the choice, besides not to buy at all?

Old 04-24-2015, 10:30 PM

18 posts, read 23,663 times
I am really concerned about the safety of my food. i heard that they actually use metal separators to filter out metal pieces in the food.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:12 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You may have a choice as to buying it or not, but if there is no other chicken offered that doesn't have water, where is the choice, besides not to buy at all?
Buy it from somewhere else. I was actually thinking about this thread earlier as I was trimming some chicken breasts and putting them into freezer bags. I checked the label and there was no mention of any added or injected water into the chicken.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:00 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litebrite View Post
I am really concerned about the safety of my food. i heard that they actually use metal separators to filter out metal pieces in the food.
and I have heard that aliens are abducting carrots, the greys love carrots, in fact, sometimes they find mutilated carrots on crop circles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink