U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:03 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,449,698 times

Advertisements

I have another one for Chicken in the crock pot (from prevention magazine)

1 small onion minced
1 Tbl worschetershire (spelling?)
1 Tbl brown sugar
1 can tomato soup or sauce (like hunts) either works
1 tsp basil
3/4 cup vinegar
Mix above together in a bowl.

Place drumsticks and thighs in crockpot. Pour above mixture over chicken. Cook 6-8 hours on low.

The meat literally falls off the bones.

If you are looking for healthy, Prevention magazine sometimes puts out little cookbooks by the cash register at the grocery store. Alot of them are simple recipes with a few ingredients, they even have one just for crockpots too.

I also agree with the above poster about staying away from packaged mixed food. I hardly ever cook with that stuff anymore. I find that I feel lousy when I do. Like tonight I am making chicken patties and fries. It is an easy meal but the preservatives are going to wreck havoc with me tommorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 03:05 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,286,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh, kiddo, you and your husband need a new attitude. Food is such a wonderful adventure, if you are open to new things. If you are not, then perhaps you are doomed to failure.

If you want to cook healthy, quit using any prepackaged mixes. They are full of chemicals and sodium. Stay on the outside edge of your grocery store..meat, fish, fruits and vegetables. Don't buy any bread or cereals unless they have high fiber content. Use olive oil whenever you can, and something like Smart Balance or Olivio. Use skim or 1% milk only. Cheese is very high in fat, so try the lowfat kind if you can stand it.

high fiber, olive oil, and low fat cheese...got it. I already only buy 1% so I'm good there. Low fat cheese - hmm I'll try it.

I want to try new things...but I don't like anything even remotely spicey - so this poses an issue for me....I know I'm very picky. Hubby will try anything - and my daughter will too...my son...fights over everything but hey he's 5 so ...he'll eat what I give him LOL.

When can't I use olive oil? And what should I use in its place? I made the chicken parm with extra virgin olive oil...that came out pretty good.

Thank you all so much for all your advice. It really means a lot to me. I want to be a better role model for my kids so I'm trying here....if it was up to me I'd eat Mac n cheese every night ...yes Kraft!

Old 01-16-2008, 03:07 PM

3,568 posts, read 3,365,992 times
The fresher the better - I love the farmer markets. Everything tastes sooooo much better. Real food tastes the best and your body deals with it better.

Something easy I do is pasta under crab, shrimp & broccoli with a pesto sauce (no pine nuts) and REAL Parmesan.

And breakfast for dinner is the BEST!

Old 01-16-2008, 03:07 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,210,597 times
Nic you can always use olive oil-use the light olive oil for cooking and the extra virgin for salads, adding a little extra flavor prior to serving soups.

With a crock pot you can do a lot.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
high fiber, olive oil, and low fat cheese...got it. I already only buy 1% so I'm good there. Low fat cheese - hmm I'll try it.

I want to try new things...but I don't like anything even remotely spicey - so this poses an issue for me....I know I'm very picky. Hubby will try anything - and my daughter will too...my son...fights over everything but hey he's 5 so ...he'll eat what I give him LOL.

When can't I use olive oil? And what should I use in its place? I made the chicken parm with extra virgin olive oil...that came out pretty good.

Thank you all so much for all your advice. It really means a lot to me. I want to be a better role model for my kids so I'm trying here....if it was up to me I'd eat Mac n cheese every night ...yes Kraft!
Read labels - if you don't understand what the ingredients are - don't eat them. Soy oil is decent. And I use Olive oil in everything but baked goods - the olive taste lingers (I use first press olive oil). You can get lighter presses that don't taste as strong.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:13 PM

You don't need to totally cut out the fat just limit it. Let the food taste like the food. As far as cheese. Boy do I love cheese and low fat is no substitute. Just cut down your portions.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:25 PM

This is great - Thank you all so much!

I'm off to go home now.....so I probably won't see any new posts until tomorrow, but I'm already excited!

Old 01-16-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
You don't need to totally cut out the fat just limit it. Let the food taste like the food. As far as cheese. Boy do I love cheese and low fat is no substitute. Just cut down your portions.
Hoorah! Moderation is key.

She never mentioned if they are soda drinkers. Those and the "energy" drinks are loaded with sugar. And double latte's with tons of syrup...

I am a wine junkie. I love my red wine but I have watch it, or I sugar gain.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
Hoorah! Moderation is key.

She never mentioned if they are soda drinkers. Those and the "energy" drinks are loaded with sugar. And double latte's with tons of syrup...

I am a wine junkie. I love my red wine but I have watch it, or I sugar gain.

No we are not soda drinkers at all.....and we're not fast food junkies or sweets people either. I do love chips and cheese doodles etc. My problem....is carbs.......I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!! Who needs meat when you can have a whole plate of mashed potatoes! I love pasta - I love rice - I love bread! Here lies my problem.

But, as for getting healthy - I don't know - is chicken parm healthy cooked in olive oil?

Baked Ziti? Pasta with meatballs (Mama Lucia) and garlic bread?

When I make pork chops I use shake n bake - i don't know if that is healthy

I know fruits and veggies - can't say we eat them much but I can work on that

I heard you should limit red meat......but I am finding a lot read meat recipes

Is meat loaf healthy?

You see my dilemma here? LOL

Listen, when I was a kid, my most favorite thing was my mom and I going to 7-11 for a bologna sandwich for dinner - she didn't cook either. And no - I don't blame her for me being fat so don't think that - I'm just saying - she didn't know - I don't know - I want to know - I want my kids to know.

Does that makes sense?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 AM

For me and I am not a nutritionist or health food expert I find that moderation is the key. When I try to cut out all the bad stuff, sugar, fat, starch etc... I can make it a week then I go back and binge. Not good.

My family doesn't eat a lot of red meat. My husband will only eat poultry and seafood. So when he is not home we get our "red meat nights". Woo hoo. So I have learned to do alot with chicken and turkey. It is lower fat than the red meat.

To start off slow, cut your portion sizes, try not to cook for an army, that way you won't feel the need to overeat. I always have tons of fruits and veggies with the meal. So say you are going to have chicken, an example of my meal is a chicken breast, a mixed vegtable and fruit for dessert. If I am having potatos I won't put out bread. (already have one starch) I try to balance what is on the plate leaning more heavily on the vegtables side. Less meat more veggies. See.

I don't think red meat is bad exactly but I don't think you want to be eating it every night either. One or two meals a week isn't going to hurt you, just offer alot of vegtables as a side. Again moderation.

As far as pork chops, baking is better than frying. Less oil (fat). But if every once in awhile you fry one up it isn't going to hurt you either.

This is just my opinion. This is what I try to do when I cook during the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink