Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:37 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Jumbo shrimp wrapped in proscuitto and panfried in olive oil.

Shrimp scampi broiled with bread crumb topping.

Shrimp cocktail with really hot sauce.

Now you have me missing the East Coast!!!
I like the sounds of the shrimp with proscuitto, I might have to try that.

Now I'm hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 06:10 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I know there is suppose to be a difference in red lobster but is there a difference in taste and quality of Shrimp?
Is there a known state that you gotta have their Shrimp?
Is there a state that serves better shrimp say like North Carolina or Louisana?

Is prawn the same thing as shrimp and if so or not what is it like?

What is your favorite way to eat shrimp?

I love to eat shrimp cocktail with a good sauce cocktail sauce (I hate sauces that are weak)
I like fried popcorn shrimp and good big fantail fried shrimp.
Prawns are freshwater and shrimp are saltwater, this is what I have been told. In my own opinion I don't much care for prawns...they seem a bit mushy not as hard. They just don't have as good a taste ..but..that's just me!! Now shrimp I love, especially those from the Gulf!! My husband cooks them with garlic, cilentro, butter.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:48 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Everyone who described their favorite ways to eat shrimp - let me know when dinner's ready, I'll be over in a flash!

Never would have guessed what a collection of gourmets we have on CD

Old 01-17-2008, 10:07 AM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
All the recipies sound good. When I was in Lousiana they cooked them whole heads and all in the oven with lots of butter and pepper--delicious!

Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 PM

Last night I made some, cooled them and dipped them in blue cheese salad dressing. I didn't have any of the normal cocktail sauce I use.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Last night I made some, cooled them and dipped them in blue cheese salad dressing. I didn't have any of the normal cocktail sauce I use.
Your use of blue cheese dressing sounds good!

I make my cocktail sauce---I always have horseradish and ketchup, after that it can have worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, celery, onion or garlic salt, hot sauce and or pepper and sometimes just a little anchovy. Every thing is optional except the ketchup and horseradish.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Your use of blue cheese dressing sounds good!

I make my cocktail sauce---I always have horseradish and ketchup, after that it can have worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, celery, onion or garlic salt, hot sauce and or pepper and sometimes just a little anchovy. Every thing is optional except the ketchup and horseradish.
Most things taste good with Blue Cheese. I have it in the house for spicey foods and actually thought about adding a dash or two of tabasco to the shrimp but I didn't. I will have to try that next time. Think about it, cook them up in a little salt, butter and tabasco sauce and dip them in Blue Cheese salad dressing. If you want a really wonderful brand, its called Lighthouse and found in the refrigerator section next to the salad fixins.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:58 PM

Default Let the light from the light house shine on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Most things taste good with Blue Cheese. I have it in the house for spicey foods and actually thought about adding a dash or two of tabasco to the shrimp but I didn't. I will have to try that next time. Think about it, cook them up in a little salt, butter and tabasco sauce and dip them in Blue Cheese salad dressing. If you want a really wonderful brand, its called Lighthouse and found in the refrigerator section next to the salad fixins.
I am very familiar with Lighthouse Blue Cheese salad dressing! Yum Yum

Old 01-19-2008, 08:42 AM

859 posts, read 3,321,547 times
I love all good shrimp...but definately been very big into Coconut Shrimp this past year...a lot of nice places to eat seemed to be promoting that big in 2007.

I like jumbo shrimp cocktail, fried shrimp, rock shrimp cooked popcorn style,
prosciutto wrapped shrimp...really anything...

But I don't like Red Lobster's food at all. It's not that it's "bad" and it's not like you will get sick, but the quality just isn't there if you're used to it. I am the daughter of a seafood sales and restaurant owner...so I have been around seafood my whole life and am very spoiled by high quality. People always come to me and my family to ask where is a yay or nay place to order seafood.

Prawns are TECHNICALLY not a shrimp...they look and taste like a shrimp...but in reality is a slightly different creature. In many places people refer to large shrimp as prawns. (They basically are the same thing as a shrimp, but when you get down to science they have different internal structure or something)

Then of shrimp there are a couple of different types rock, pink, brown and there are a few more. The rock are a lot smaller...but with some of the others it's hard to know what kind you're eating unless you ask the chef or you are a seafood addict, b/c they all turn pinkish when cooked anyway. Depending where you live, you are more likely to get certain ones at a fresh seafood place b/c different oceans and coast harbor different kinds.

Last edited by LittleMissSunshine; 01-19-2008 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink