Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 11:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

I don't know where to begin as it varies and I have so many to choose from. I guess at the top of the list are the ones that come from churches or other organizations putting them together, using recipes from members. They are usually fully tested. But also I love the internet. No matter what I want to make, if I need a recipe I enter the food I want to make and out comes several choices. My older books, though often not used are just fun to brouse through and remember when your mom made that or when you used that recipe when first married, even if it isn't something you still cook regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 11:32 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I have most of the books listed by other posters as well as collection of Polish, Italian, Indian, and Mexican books.

A word of advice if you need to educate your S/O, just tell him/her that if they like to eat good food they must not complain about your reading material as it is very foolish and they will go hungry.

Time marches on and now I have to wonder what I will do with them as it is getting harder spend a lot of time cooking. I feel like I'm throwing away old friends.

I am currently looking forward to getting the new America's Test Kitchen Pressure Cooker book so I can master my pot and save some time. If you like Indian food, you must have a pressure cooker and the new ones are very safe...believe me, I scortched my mine three times before learning how to use it.
They have a pressure cooker book? OMG, I want it - just got a pressure cooker as a gift and still have to use it yet. Thanks for the heads up!

If you're looking to get rid of your cookbooks, donate them to Goodwill. People are always looking for cookbooks there.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:24 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
They have a pressure cooker book? OMG, I want it - just got a pressure cooker as a gift and still have to use it yet. Thanks for the heads up!

If you're looking to get rid of your cookbooks, donate them to Goodwill. People are always looking for cookbooks there.
My pressure cooker is one from Switzerland as I read some reviews for other brands where the handles have come off. When I first got my pot, it sat on the stove for a few days while I read everything I could but still just didn't know what to do. In one of my books it said that for people like me who were terrified to start by just boiling some water in the pot. It worked and slowly gained confidence.

Check your library for the America's Test Kitchen Pressure Cooker book - my library has five but there is a
reserve list for it. As their books go, this one is fairly cheap. Lorna Sass also has some good books out there.

I gave my crockpot and related books to a great lady who works at Goodwill. It is sometimes hard to accept that my best cooking days are probably behind me now and to pass along my old friends. I watched J. Pepin today on PBS and he looks like he isn't as spry in the kitchen either.

Everyone, have a great weekend and eat well!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:28 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything

Old 04-24-2015, 01:54 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Mark Bittman here, too.

I got rid of most of my cookbooks. I hadn't opened some of them in years, decades. I gave a few to friends and donated the rest. I hope that The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, The Silver Palate Cookbook and Vineyard Seasons--among others--found a good home.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:47 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Mine is: "America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook".
That's a good one. I also like Alice Waters' The Art of Simple Food.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:08 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything
He also has another one: How to Cook Everything Vegetarian...both are very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink