Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:19 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,710,702 times

Advertisements

We have all of the traditional food items and enough to feed a large army all for our small family (us, family of 4, one set of grandparents, one other grandparent, two each aunt & uncle, one cousin and their spouse and one child and my sis and her husband).

We LOVE deep fried turkey. It is sooooooooo moist and juicy. And I don't have to cook it which is even better.
Ham
Tamales - homemade (not by me but I wish I knew how)
Cornbread dressin
Mashed potatoes (although I have cheated the last few years and made them the night before then that morning add sour cream, butter, grated cheese, bacon bits and then bake them. YUMMMMMIIIIIIEEEEEEE).
Homemade creamed corn
Green bean casserole
Canned green beans from the summer garden
fruit salad
baked sweet potatoes (there is a recipe that can make it hard to drive after eating them )
rolls
and butter along w/ sweet iced tea

For dessert on Thanksgiving:
pumpkin pie w/ real whipped cream to top it
pecan pie
chocolate pecan pie
pumpkin roulade w/ the yummy cream cheese filling
homemade coconut cream pie
homemade coconut cake
and anything else that we feel like making

For dessert on Christmas:
all of the above along w/
Red Velvet Cake - from scratch w/ a YUMMY icing that is NOT the cream cheese variety

LOL!!! Are we a bunch of pigs or what.
Then top it all off w/ a nap while the Cowboys play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 05:20 PM

Oh, and all of the Christmas candies that we all make.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:33 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,080,783 times
We're veggie.
I do a wicked potato leek pie for the holiday.
The meal is rounded out by plenty of traditional sides (green beans, corn, homemade cranberry sauce...). I don't like pumpkin pie, but I love pumpkin soup (go figure...) so we start with that. We finish with my SO's cheescake (not so traditional, eh?) and everything is washed down with Champagne. I love Champagne. I think of T-day through New Year's as "Champagne season".

Old 11-09-2006, 05:44 PM

Oh lord, how could I forget the cranberry.... My head would be on the chopping block if I forgot the cranberry sauce. Even my kids LOVE the stuff. Of course they all like that jellied kind that comes straight out of the can then sliced. I also buy the whole cranberries in the can. I like the dried ones in green salads and they make it so pretty colorful. Add some chopped pecans or walnuts, crumbled gorgonzola cheese and a rasberry vinigrette dressing.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:49 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,080,783 times
Quote:
I like the dried ones in green salads and they make it so pretty colorful. Add some chopped pecans or walnuts, crumbled gorgonzola cheese and a rasberry vinigrette dressing.
Ok, NOW I'm hungry. Off to the kitchen....

Old 11-09-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Ok, NOW I'm hungry. Off to the kitchen....
LOL!!! In the summer use fresh strawberries and slice them and I like to use Romaine lettuce as it is the deeper green color (besides it is my favorite type of lettuce, that and spinach). Or better yet I do like to mix the romaine and spinach.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:15 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,327,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
We LOVE deep fried turkey. It is sooooooooo moist and juicy. And I don't have to cook it which is even better.
I know--I had to cut a lot to get to this one sentence. That's quite a menu, but it sounds delicious!

My neighbors in Ohio always deep fried their turkey. I've never tried it, but I've always heard very good reviews.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:32 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,327,240 times
Just moving this thread back up because I like to hear about everyone's menus.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:52 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,582,289 times
By the way if anyone is going to serve turducken please count me in. I've been meaning to order one for Thanksgiving for quite a few years and always forget. If you happen to be serving seafood stuffed turducken I'll be your best friend for life!

Old 11-10-2006, 06:58 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,961,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Just moving this thread back up because I like to hear about everyone's menus.
I know what you mean. I'm thinking of hiring a private investigator and showing up at momof2dfw's house for din-din...Darn, that menu has got me losing sleep with food lust! I could always show up and if they look too different from me...just say that I'm the redheaded stepchild who's come home for Thanksgiving dinner
Oops...I forgot...can't do that this year I'm hosting Thanksgiving myself this year and my kitchen is going to be crowded, plus three kids running around and one friend who's coming wants to do a Pork Loin Roast as well on my smoke/grill and smoke it. We did it once this past summer...yumilicious! But I'm doing a full Turkey, stuffing (with none of that nasty organ meat stuff..ick and NO raisins or plums in it...ick!), steamed green beans with bacon and white onions, garlic mashed potatoes in a HUMONGOUS bowl, sliced Cranberry sauce, black olives, sweet yams with brown sugar glaze, bacon-wrapped pineapple squares on toothpics baked until the bacon is crisp (OMG good!), sauteed mushrooms with chopped garlic and butter. Then dessert... I've decided to do Isabella's Flan recipe I've seen on here. I love flan, but never made it. A custard pie with drizzled caramel over it, chocolate cake with buttercreme frosting, vanilla cake with vanilla buttercreme frosting, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, pecan pie, apple pie, and a chocolate pudding pie. The other thing I'll have are homemade cream puffs. There will be champagne ( I like Freixenet Cordon Negro as it's relatively inexpensive but really good sparkling wine), red Merlots and Cabernet Sauvignons from California, and maybe Blue Nun white wine.

Last edited by MoMark; 11-10-2006 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink