U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:38 AM

502 posts, read 2,122,257 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone.
http://bestsmileys.com/thanksgiving/1.gif (broken link)
What are you making for Thanksgiving Dinner?

I always have the traditional dishes and then add some of my Latin dishes. We usually have turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, candied yams, ham, pumpkin pie, apple pie and coconut custard. Then we will of course have rice and beans, fried yucca, pernil (roast pork) and Flan. I will add my flan recipe and then maybe you can share one of your own.

Flan Recipe
2 cans evaporated milk
2 cans condensed milk
12 whole eggs (yes I know it is a lot - you can do 6 egg whites & 6 whole eggs
2 tsp vanilla

Caramel
2 cups of brown sugar
Ground Cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla

First you make the Stove Top Caramel Melt 2 cups of brown sugar in a non-stick pan, over low heat. Add a few drops of Vanilla and ground Cinnamon. Keep your eye on it. Sometimes I add a little bit of water. As soon as your sugar has caramelized, pour the caramel into your baking pan and swirl it around to cover the bottom and sides of the pan. Your have do this quickly because once the caramel starts to cool, it hardens and you won't be able to swirl it around. Set the pan aside, turn the oven on to 350º and start mixing the ingredients for the Flan.

Flan
Blend all the flan ingredients in a blender and pour the flan mixture right into the caramelized pan. Now place the pan inside a larger pan and fill the larger pan half way with hot water. This is what we call baño de María. Bake the flan at 350º. Check it every 30 minutes to check to see if it's getting too brown on top - if so cover loosely with foil. Test the flan after 1 hour to see if it's done by inserting a knife in the center. If the flan is still soft, let it cook longer until a knife inserted again comes out clean. Remove from the oven carefully and let it sit on the counter until it cools. Then cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

To serve the flan, lay a cake plate on top of the pan then carefully flip it over and slide the pan off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 10:06 AM

21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
When my mother was able to cook we had a FEAST, but now we all go out to eat. It's good and bad, it's good no one has to cook, but I kind of miss the left overs.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,082,441 times
We have pretty traditional dishes. Turkey, dressing, (stuffing, for you Northerners ), mashed potatos and gravy, corn, green beans w/bacon, rolls, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, black and green olives, baby carrots, celery, (some with cream cheese, some with peanut butter). And, for dessert, pumpkin pie w/whipped cream (cool whip, for those who prefer it), and cherry pie, both made from scratch, (no frozen pies here!).

My daughter makes much of the same thing, however, since she married a Puerto Rican boy, she also has learned to make some of the dishes his mama makes. I just wish she wasn't living in Germany, right now, (he's in the Air Force), so we could share a Thanksgiving. Haven't done that in a few years, now.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:04 AM

3,314 posts, read 12,255,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Hello Everyone.
http://bestsmileys.com/thanksgiving/1.gif (broken link)
What are you making for Thanksgiving Dinner?

I always have the traditional dishes and then add some of my Latin dishes. We usually have turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, candied yams, ham, pumpkin pie, apple pie and coconut custard. Then we will of course have rice and beans, fried yucca, pernil (roast pork) and Flan. I will add my flan recipe and then maybe you can share one of your own.

Flan Recipe
2 cans evaporated milk
2 cans condensed milk
12 whole eggs (yes I know it is a lot - you can do 6 egg whites & 6 whole eggs
2 tsp vanilla

Caramel
2 cups of brown sugar
Ground Cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla

First you make the Stove Top Caramel Melt 2 cups of brown sugar in a non-stick pan, over low heat. Add a few drops of Vanilla and ground Cinnamon. Keep your eye on it. Sometimes I add a little bit of water. As soon as your sugar has caramelized, pour the caramel into your baking pan and swirl it around to cover the bottom and sides of the pan. Your have do this quickly because once the caramel starts to cool, it hardens and you won't be able to swirl it around. Set the pan aside, turn the oven on to 350º and start mixing the ingredients for the Flan.

Flan
Blend all the flan ingredients in a blender and pour the flan mixture right into the caramelized pan. Now place the pan inside a larger pan and fill the larger pan half way with hot water. This is what we call baño de María. Bake the flan at 350º. Check it every 30 minutes to check to see if it's getting too brown on top - if so cover loosely with foil. Test the flan after 1 hour to see if it's done by inserting a knife in the center. If the flan is still soft, let it cook longer until a knife inserted again comes out clean. Remove from the oven carefully and let it sit on the counter until it cools. Then cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

To serve the flan, lay a cake plate on top of the pan then carefully flip it over and slide the pan off.
Hey Isabella gues who's comming to dinner. ME! I'll pass on the traditional American items but love the Latin. My grandmother (off the boat from Italy) used to make classic Italian dishes on Thanksgiving (manicotti, lasagne, braccioli etc.) and the typical seafood feast on Christmas eve. She would make a Turkey on Thanksgiving as well as a Ham on Christmas but all I can remember is her cutting them up and the rest of the family taking them home as leftovers. So anyway I'll be over at about 2:00 and I'll bring some nice bottles of wine and frozen sorbets for desert!

coma bien, la salud buena y goce

Old 11-09-2006, 11:43 AM

8,191 posts, read 27,455,458 times
This will be my first Thanksgiving where I have to do any cooking. I have been practicing on turkey and gravy, so this does not worry me. However, if someone has a a good way to make the sweet potato dish with the brown sugar and marshmallows PLEASE, OH PLEASE, share it with me!

I will share the Broccoli Salad that we always have:

1 lb bacon, cooked & crumbled
1 head broccoli, sliced from bottom of stem all the way up to florets
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup sugar
8 oz (small jar) mayonaise
2 TBS white vinegar

In a large mixing bowl, combine bacon, broccoli, raisins, and onion. Toss well.

In a seperate bowl combine sugar, mayo, and vinegar. Stir until well blended. Mixture will be gritty.

Pour mayo mixture over broccoli mixture. Toss well.

Cover and refrigerate overnight. Toss before serving.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:53 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
This will be my first Thanksgiving where I have to do any cooking. I have been practicing on turkey and gravy, so this does not worry me. However, if someone has a a good way to make the sweet potato dish with the brown sugar and marshmallows PLEASE, OH PLEASE, share it with me!

I will share the Broccoli Salad that we always have:

1 lb bacon, cooked & crumbled
1 head broccoli, sliced from bottom of stem all the way up to florets
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup sugar
8 oz (small jar) mayonaise
2 TBS white vinegar

In a large mixing bowl, combine bacon, broccoli, raisins, and onion. Toss well.

In a seperate bowl combine sugar, mayo, and vinegar. Stir until well blended. Mixture will be gritty.

Pour mayo mixture over broccoli mixture. Toss well.

Cover and refrigerate overnight. Toss before serving.
I have had this same salad with white grapes added to it, really good

Old 11-09-2006, 01:48 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,058,254 times
So it's set? Dinner at Isabella's!
CelticLady--you bring the pies, Evey--you bring the salad and Pixie--can you bring some lasagna? My husband's family always served lasagna along with the traditional turkey.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
So it's set? Dinner at Isabella's!
CelticLady--you bring the pies, Evey--you bring the salad and Pixie--can you bring some lasagna? My husband's family always served lasagna along with the traditional turkey.
Yeeeeeeeeees, BRING ITALIAN FOOD!! I have a friend that is half Puerto Rican and Italian and her house is heaven on Thanksgiving and Christmas because of the latin and Italian dishes. You can gain about 10 pounds in one night.

Everyone is welcomed! We can have an International Thanksgiving Day. Evey, I will post my candied yams dish here later!

Old 11-09-2006, 02:47 PM

Default For Evey, Candied Yams

sweet potatoes
butter
brown sugar
ground cinnamon
ground nutmeg
vanilla
mini marshmallows
You can add Walnuts or chopped pecans if you like
Some people also add orange juice or pineapple juice

Boil peeled yams until cooked then smash them with the butter, brown sugar vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. I eyeball everything so I don't know how helpful this is to you.
Once the potatoes are smooth and taste sweet enough , I place the mixture in a baking dish and Bake it for about 10 minutes at 325°F. Then add mini marshmallows on top and cover it loosely with aluminum foil so that the marshmallows don't turn too dark and bake for another 20.
It is a very easy dish to make and you are basically adding ingredients to taste. Do all the steps up to pouring it in baking dish but then refrigerate it. Then the next day when you place it in the oven without the marshmallows, bake it a little longer (about 20 min) since is so cold. Then add the Marshmallows as described above and bake it for 10 -15 minutes longer.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:19 PM

8,191 posts, read 27,455,458 times
Thanks Isabella! My husband loves sweetpotatoes, but I have never touched one before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink