Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:16 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times

Advertisements

I have always been afraid of preparing skirt steak (don't know why) I guess I was concerned it would turn out terribly tough and even the dogs would walk away from it...

Well, I bought one (about 2 lbs) from our local butcher (real butcher with slaughterhouse out back, cows walk in, but come out wrapped in paper...)

Looked up internet instructions/recipes for reference.

Trimmed the SS of most fat and cut into manageable pieces.

Made my own marinade. Let SS soak about 4 hours.

Didnt feel like making a fire in the grill, so I used the broiler.

Let it cool and then cut as instructed.

Texted Louise: "We are having skirt steak tonight!" To which she replied: "Oooo, sounds DIRTY!" (gotta love her )

When wife came home, I stir fried veggies and re browned the meat in cast iron.

Served with corn and flour tortillas, salsa and sour cream.

Also Basmatti rice and corn on the cob on the side.

Don't be afraif of the SS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 09:23 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
We pay a premium price for skirt steak here because of the popularity of beef fajitas. Buy this spice on line...it will tenderize and season them perfectly. Grill and then cut across grain and you will love it. Smoked with mesquite is best for flavor. Serve with lime and pico-de-gallo. Flour tortillas.

You must marinade or use the recommended spice with tenderizer and slice correctly or it will be tough as a boot.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:26 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Not a fan of Skirt Steak in our home, we prefer other steaks for Fajita's which I rarely make anyway.
We are more Tacos, Taco salad, Chimichanga, Beans, Salsa and Guacamole here.

Otherwise we grilled whatever meat we are having that particular day or I put something in the slow cooker.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:30 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
there's an inside and outside skirt....

one is the diaphragm muscle,,,has a thick outer skin to it,,ive cut these for decades....

they are tasty,,,but I do prefer bottom sirloin flap meat )

Old 05-01-2015, 04:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Skirt steak is my favorite!!
Quick grill on each side and it's done!
Marinate or just salt it, hmm.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
We pay a premium price for skirt steak here because of the popularity of beef fajitas. Buy this spice on line...it will tenderize and season them perfectly. Grill and then cut across grain and you will love it. Smoked with mesquite is best for flavor. Serve with lime and pico-de-gallo. Flour tortillas.

You must marinade or use the recommended spice with tenderizer and slice correctly or it will be tough as a boot.

Why NOT just use ACCENT (MSG) as it is the main ingredient in the Fiesta Fajita seasoning?? It is probably cheaper.

From the label:

INGREDIENTS

Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Spices, Garlic, Onion, Calcium Stearate (Free-Flow Agent) and Tenderizer (Proteolytic Enzyme derived from Aspergillus Flavus Oryaze and from Papaya).

https://www.fiestaspices.com/fajita-...jita-seasoning

Old 05-01-2015, 06:17 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
We don't like skirt steak either. Not because it's tough, it isn't, but because it has a greasy taste that just doesn't work for us.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:12 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Why NOT just use ACCENT (MSG) as it is the main ingredient in the Fiesta Fajita seasoning?? It is probably cheaper.

From the label:

INGREDIENTS

Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Spices, Garlic, Onion, Calcium Stearate (Free-Flow Agent) and Tenderizer (Proteolytic Enzyme derived from Aspergillus Flavus Oryaze and from Papaya).

https://www.fiestaspices.com/fajita-...jita-seasoning
Why not just use salt since most spice mixes are predominately salt. If you don't like msg choose your own concoction.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:25 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I like skirt steak and had it recently where I marinated it in Mojo. Still tough and we were using dental floss for a while, lol.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:29 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
I read where marinating is not recommended for this thin cut of meat.....just some dry rub spices before it hits the grill.
I love this cut of meat. Not too many ways one can screw up this piece no matter how long you grill it.
I'm also a milanesia fan. ( probably spelled that wrong)
It's the main thing I order at Los barrios (San antonio)
Besides the margaritas! !!
I recently bought skirt steak at a carnecia, just to compare the tastes.....i loved the thin cut but not their spices..
I use my spices at home. Fajita mix, garlic, cumin, chili, salt, pepper, onion powder, and rub it all in with lime juice.
30 minutes later it's seared on the grill.
I prefer to either pound it a little to break up the toughness, or attempt to butterfly the piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink