Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 04:45 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times

Advertisements

How about going with an ethnicity? Chinese? Mexican? Japanese?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 07:24 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Make your pork loin, and he can eat leftover boring. I would. My DH used to think there were a lot of foods he didn't like, but it turned out his mom was a terrible cook. She microwaved yellow squash for dinner once when I was over for dinner, and when she opened the casserole dish, I was horrified. The formerly yellow squash was gray, and smelled like petroleum!

Anyway, now he will try foods he didn't like, and now eats many things he used to turn up his nose at. Still doesn't like beets, though.

They say it takes several tastings of a food before a picky person gets used to it enough to actually eat more than a bite. Keep that in mind when you're offering new or formerly disliked foods to your picky menfolk.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:22 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Just because he doesn't like bones doesn't limit you to chicken breasts! We're both not huge fans of red meat or fish so we eat a LOT of chicken, practically all the time except for the occasional pork tenderloin. You can get boneless chicken thighs, I use those a lot. One of my favorite one-pan dinners is season them and roast on a bed of veggies - potatoes, sweet potatoes/yams, carrots, bell peppers, eggplant. At the end, sprinkle some feta cheese or parmesan on top - yum. You can also use them to make pulled chicken in the oven, curries, cacciatore, baked with morroccan spices and served over couscous or shredded into 'shwarma', etc etc.

With breasts you can make all kinds of pastas - I like penne with pesto, cherry tomatoes, and baby spinach; grill them and slice for salads or sandwiches; stir-frys with different sauces and veggies - sweet and sour, teriyaki, sesame, orange-ginger, etc. You can also add pineapples or canned lychees. You can also slice beef thinly and stir fry with broccoli or ginger and green onion. You can stuff chicken breasts with cheese, spinach, red peppers, sun dried tomatoes. You can make soups, with or without meat, blended or chunky...With ground beef you can make Swedish meatballs, stuffed peppers, tacos, shepherd's pie, lasagna, casseroles...So many options out there.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:32 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Chicken: You can make some good Asian marinades and sauces with soy sauce, Korean bulgogi, hoisin, and chili garlic sauce.

I usually mix a combo of 3 of them together and they really spice up chicken and stir fry. The chili garlic sauce is key to balance out any sweetness with that perfect sweet/spicy combo.

Add some garlic, sesame seeds, and ginger, and you can add more depth to the flavours.

Beef: Mexican food has a lot of creative beef dishes. It can be fried with taco seasoning packs and your favorite hot sauces, with onions. Serve with refried frijoles or black beans and Mexican rice. You can quickly fry flour tortillas in some oil and make fast tostadas, tacos, etc.

Sometimes looking at other cultures' foods give me ideas when I get stuck in an "American food" rut. My husband is also a picky eater. I want to tie him to a chair and force feed him till he submits to the food gods

Old 05-08-2015, 11:10 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Pik, I had to laugh when I read your post. My hubby won't eat meat with bones in it either, and I myself don't eat sauces or condiments! I'm more convinced every day that you're my twin!!! I also find myself in a rut fixing mostly the same stuff a lot, but I do some different stuff occasionally.

For instance: try making meatloaf using ground turkey - you won't be able to taste any difference once you add seasonings to it. I like to add Hunt's Meatloaf Sauce to mine, along with onions and cracker crumbs and the eggs. It's moist and he doesn't know it's not ground beef. Also, stir-fry beef and broccoli, and I found a recipe recently on Pinterest for Sweet and Sour Chicken that the chicken was baked but turned out moist and just like you get in a Chinese restaurant. It was great!!! I had to double the sauce but it was easy and really good.

How about using a round steak and making a nice oven Swiss Steak with mashed potatoes and making some gravy off of the drippings? You can add any veggies on the side that you like. Maybe a crockpot of shredded beef (chuck roast) for BBQ or Italian beef sandwiches?

Does he particularly just not like pork or is it for a religious reason that he won't eat it? I understand you missing pork roast in the crock pot. Easy and yummy!!! How about some Beer Brats on the grill, or maybe some Sweet Italian Sausage cut up and browned with onion and peppers, added to marinara sauce and then combined with cooked rigatoni noodles and a salad?

Just some ideas. With warm weather coming salads are easier to pass off as supper (at my house anyway!) and that's ok with me. My hubby could probably live on nothing but burgers or pork chops for the rest of his life but not me. I would much rather have salads or carbs myself (I love pasta and rice). I hope you can figure something out. I feel your pain - and don't you DARE get rid of him!!! Some people on here.....sheesh.....

Old 05-09-2015, 07:56 AM

450 posts, read 597,417 times
How about quick and easy Sausage Alfredo. Slice your favorite sausage into bite size pieces, add a drained can of mushrooms and put some olive oil in a frying pan and heat it up. Boil about four cups pasta in water until it's tender. Now dump the sausage in the fry pan and get it brown. Season to taste. Drain excess oil from the fry pan. Dump in a bottle of your favorite Alfredo sauce (red or white). Fill the empty sauce bottle halfway with milk, shake it and dump that into the fry pan. Add the pasta, heat it up while stirring. A little Parmesan cheese and a bit more seasoning. Remove from heat and let it sit a few minutes and dinner's served.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I feel like we eat the same things all the time. My fiance is picky so I am limited to chicken breast and beef. He doesn't eat pork and doesn't eat meat with bone included. (OMG)

I feel like we live off of chicken breast and ground beef. I do through in different kinds of sausages, even pork and he is ok with that.

I am just tired of having spaghetti, chicken tenderloins and salad, chicken parm, and cauliflower crust pizza ALL THE TIME.

Can you guys through some ideas out at me? I do not really make fried foods or battered foods. I will cook in a little bit of olive oil, but that is about it. Trying to eat as healthily as possible these days.

No one is complaining about dinner but I am sick of the same thing all the time. Thank you!!!

=)
If he's so picky, make him cook 50% of the time.
Then you make whatever you feel like eating the rest of the time.

As for ideas, try some roasts (veggies and meats), Indian food, Mexican food, and Thai food.
Spice it up!

Old 05-09-2015, 08:24 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
Quiche made with the same cauliflower base as your pizza, I love quiche as you can change up the ingredients to suit your own tastes.

Another of my go-to foods is spaghetti squash, I make spaghetti squash filled with an italian spaghetti sauce and hot sausage or you could use ground beef or even ground turkey.
Slice squash in half lenghways (4 mins in microwave first helps soften it)
scoop out seeds and place face up in baking dish, season with a little pepper and I like to spray over a little olive oil.
bake at 400 for around 45 mins or until the squash strings out with a fork.
Meanwhile make your usual italian sauce.
Fill squash with sauce, grate a little mozzarella over the top and put back in the oven for 10 mins or until melted.

Fave chicken dish is Cajun chicken with pasta, you can probably use veggie pasta if you like for this.
prepare pasta / veggie pasta and leave to one side
slice chicken red and green pepper and onion and brown in a little olive oil.
shake over a little cajun seasoning (I like Toni Chacheres) continue cooking until chicken is cooked all the way through
mix a little 1% milk with some cornflower in a cup, add to pan it will thicken immediately so add more milk until it makes a creamy sauce. (This is my way of getting around using cream in recipes and it tastes just as good)
serve creamy chicken over your pasta ... mmmm Delishhhh !!!

Old 05-09-2015, 09:01 AM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Sheesh. I cook just fine. I am over 40 years old! I am just stuck in a rut of making the same things and wanted some ideas of what others are making to get out of my rut. Is that such a terrible thing?

Right now my mind isn't in the greatest way when it comes to new ideas. I have RA and fibro and have to take weekly chemo.

Things are just foggy. When I look at other peoples ideas it is easier for me to get ideas or sitch things around...

I can't be the first person in the world to ask this question.
Sorry about your illnesses. I didn't mean to sound so cranky, but I just open a cookbook and look at pictures for ideas. It is easy to get in a rut, though. I sort of play Chopped every night. I pick a random meat from the freezer, open the fridge and cupboards for inspiration. I usually buy pretty much the same meats and veggies every week, and I do have a lot of condiments and spices, but I think I've come up with a million variations.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:37 AM
6am

276 posts, read 271,367 times
I cook visually Chicken, Beef, Broccoli, Lettuce and various greens are the usual items stock in my fridge. My 3 picky eaters need healthy yet ton of flavors. Some of these dishes I can easily be put together . Mainly Asian influenced dishes.

Lettuce wrap with ground chicken or beef

Lettuce wrap with chicken

Chicken/beef skewer grill - I use my George Foreman grill for this.. really fast.

Steam/Boiled Chicken and rice. It may sound plain but follow the basic steps, the rice is full flavored and chicken soft juicy and delicious.

some name it Hainanese chicken rice,

Chicken/Beef Veggie stir fry serve with Rice Pasta/Noodles - quick and easy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink