Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 12:27 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times

Advertisements

They always have decaf espresso. If you want a brewed decaf, they'll make you one. You shouldn't feel bad about asking for a product that is on their menu - that's why the employee is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 05:54 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
No, no she did not. I verified there was NO coffee being brewed. They had the food items, they would brew tea on demand because that's just a bag they stick in a pitcher, any of the refreshers, anything else. But NO coffee. 100%.

Now maybe they were violating something but if they're franchised then I believe it's up to them what they will and won't serve. Don't know much about the chain, all I can tell you is that no coffee is to be had at that Starbucks after 4pm.
I use to be a supervisor at Starbucks. Pikes Place is the default coffee and is to be brewed as long as the store is open. She did lie because they were supposed to have coffee brewed. Starbucks does not franchise. It does partnerships with other corporations, target for example, but all other store are company owned. The only time Starbucks stops brewing all coffee is when the brewer stops working or they are under a boil water alert. Even then they will either offer you an americano at the coffee price or use the verisimo to make coffee with bottled water. If they are refusing to serve you coffee at any time they can be written up and fired. I did work at a Starbucks downtown once where the employess were refusing to sell coffee at certain times. This was because they were lazy and wanted to go home as soon as possible. They didn't want to clean the brewer after closing the store so they would lie to the customer.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:31 PM

348 posts, read 416,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
I use to be a supervisor at Starbucks. Pikes Place is the default coffee and is to be brewed as long as the store is open. She did lie because they were supposed to have coffee brewed. Starbucks does not franchise. It does partnerships with other corporations, target for example, but all other store are company owned. The only time Starbucks stops brewing all coffee is when the brewer stops working or they are under a boil water alert. Even then they will either offer you an americano at the coffee price or use the verisimo to make coffee with bottled water. If they are refusing to serve you coffee at any time they can be written up and fired. I did work at a Starbucks downtown once where the employess were refusing to sell coffee at certain times. This was because they were lazy and wanted to go home as soon as possible. They didn't want to clean the brewer after closing the store so they would lie to the customer.
You've had some really helpful info posted in this thread. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, on the partnership / franchise point, I didn't quite get the distinction at first. I'd go to a store and see the mermaid and think, "Oh hey, it's a Starbucks." But no...upon closer inspection, it would say something like, "Proudly brewing Starbucks coffee". So the little "Starbucks store" inside the Target...they will actually swipe my Starbucks gold card, but I think my receipt is a Target receipt. Was just trying to find my last one to confirm, but of course I can't.

-T.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:00 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
What, exactly, is "bold" when it pertains to coffee?
Darker, richer flavor... but, I suspect you already knew that.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
So the little "Starbucks store" inside the Target...they will actually swipe my Starbucks gold card, but I think my receipt is a Target receipt.
You're correct, I had this conversation recently with baristas at my local Target. Target employees operate the SB space, which is why they cannot accept tips, because Target doesn't allow it. I was told the same by SB workers at one of the markets in San Diego... I forget which one it was now (Ralph's or Von's?)

Old 05-14-2015, 11:38 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
I normally order decaf because I am highly sensitive to caffeine. One cup can keep me up till 5 am a nervous wreck, and stay in my system for days.

The state I used to live in always made me wait a very long time for my decaf, the Starbucks where I am now seems to get it made pretty fast. Not sure what the difference is between the 2 stores. Used the drive through in both places.

I've had issues at Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds with decaf never being available/long waits, even at night when I think most people want decaf.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
I've had issues at Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds with decaf never being available/long waits, even at night when I think most people want decaf.
I would initially think many would want decaf in the evening, as well, but as has been said, it's supply & demand. I'm also a big believer in speaking up (in person or via email) to let the mngr know about your wait times & desire for decaf, because I do believe many want the same as you, but tell no one & leave (which I've done when the suggestion is to pay for a pricier drink with $1.35+/ea shots, when all I want is a tall dark brew... I'm not paying $4+ for a small cup of coffee anywhere), take a pour over (I don't care for the taste & don't want to wait 15-min more when I've been in line for 15-min already) or take anything available (I'm paying for it, so I want to drink something I want, not what they want to serve me), so it won't change.

I'm also wondering if decaf not being available and/or people not drinking it speaks more to a 24/7 workplace being more common today? 15-yrs ago, when I worked 2nd then 3rd shift, I brought 2 thermoses of coffee to work in order to feel peppier, as there were fewer people, so human interaction was infrequent. Possibly many SB purchases in the evenings are from those headed to work?

Old 05-15-2015, 07:09 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Darker, richer flavor... but, I suspect you already knew that.
No, I didn't. That's why I was asking, your royal smugness.

"Darker" I can understand. Lots of people grew up thinking french roast was somehow "exotic" or "better", although it's simply roasting to a point where the carbon notes overtake the fruitiness/acidity. Although a well roasted darker roast will lead to decent chocolate/caramel notes.

"Richer" flavor, IMO, would come from a Kenyan or Ethiopian, or maybe a very good El Salvador or estate PNG, all roasted to medium. Lots going on in the cup with those. So I never got the point of someone suggesting that "bold" was indeed "richer", when the roast level takes a complex cup and simplifies it down to a couple of common flavor profiles.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
What is "bold" and what is "rich" is going to vary by palate. The labels are used like there's a standard, but it's really something that's pretty subjective.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:46 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
If they are refusing to serve you coffee at any time they can be written up and fired. I did work at a Starbucks downtown once where the employess were refusing to sell coffee at certain times. This was because they were lazy and wanted to go home as soon as possible. They didn't want to clean the brewer after closing the store so they would lie to the customer.
Welp, if the manager (who I did ask about such an odd rule) tells me that they're not brewing after 4pm, there will be no write up or firing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink