Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 05:49 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Good for you! Since we must eat, make it interesting and fun and healthy. As said by previous poster, there are many books & websites to try out. One of my favorites, that can tell you how to boil water & on up to creme brulee etc. is:

allrecipes.com

Tips on ingredients, kitchen tools, basic up to difficult recipes, specialty recipes ie from India and question threads where you can ask questions and get recipe recommendations.

My mom did not cook at all unless you call buying cans of veggies, opening, and heating/serving. So, no experience necessary. I taught myself with books and a LOT of practice. It is fun and enjoyable and relaxing to me.

Hope you find so too.
Agreed on allrecipes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 07:07 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
You can definitely find excellent guidance from cookbooks, the internet and all those cooking shows, and certainly a lot of folks learn very successfully that way. I have a 1940s-vintage cookbook that I inherited from my mother that I have used again and again as a resource, and I still go back and re-read it often.

One of the things to watch for is that there are a lot of recipes and cookbooks out there that are written for cooks who are already very, very experienced, and they tend to leave steps out - sometimes a lot of steps - because "everyone knows" them. Well, no, everyone DOESN'T know them, and to make that assumption creates a lot of frustration (to say nothing of a lot of wasted food) when those left-out steps get skipped by a novice cook.

If you can possibly find a cooking buddy, someone who cooks the way you'd like to and who will work alongside you in the kitchen, I think that is the *BEST* way to learn. There's just something about having someone say to me "the way that dough feels is still a little too sticky, it should be kneaded a little more," or "when you're sauteing the onions, you want to add the mushrooms right about when they look and smell like this," or "see, you're holding the mallet at an angle, so you're bashing holes in the cutlets instead of pounding them flat" that I find so much more helpful than reading about it in a book. Even the shows on TV (which my spouse watches, though I do not) can't convey smell or feel of the food as it comes together, and honestly, cooking is as much about gauging smell and feel as it is about the appearance of the food as it cooks. And at least for me, cooking is as much a social thing as it is about the food itself; there is something so companionable about collaborating over meal preparation with a good friend, and it just seems to make the food taste better when all is said and done.

Oh, one other suggestion that you might consider is to pick up a copy of Cooks' Illustrated magazine. Some of their stuff is a little over the top, but they also cover subjects as basic as the perfect pot roast or a simple tomato soup, and the way they take you along the process of how they developed the recipe offers a lot of good food science that can be applicable to other recipes as well. We enjoy their work a great deal.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
The Better Homes and Gardens classic cookbook with the red and white gingham plaid print cover is basically a Bible of cookery. It's a classic, and has been updated to be increasingly useful. To some, The Joy of Cooking is their go-to tome, but to me, BH&G is where it's at.

It is old-school cooking basics, though, not so much by way of shortcuts and convenience food prep. For shortcuts, there's a decent book out there called "Where's Mom Now that I Need Her," which has not only cooking/recipe tips, it's an all-around good reference guide for living on your own as a young adult...basic life skills for when you're newly out on your own.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Another great book is called Joy of Cooking. I hear newer editions aren't great compared to the older ones (I only have one copy, a '64 edition).
I researched that topic, and found the 1997 edition is much maligned, but the newest edition seems to be as beloved as the earlier ones.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,224 times
I second midwesternbookworm's recommendation for Cook's Illustrated magazine. The have 2 cooking shows on PBS, America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country. They explain the science of food very well.
I really owe my current culinary skills to Cook's Illustrated.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Could you write about what your favorite foods/ingredients are? I guess if you start by cooking what you like to eat, you can make great progress from there.
Actually, I am just looking for the basics for now. If that is okay.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:24 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Of course it's okay! That's the best place to start; I've known folks who figured they'd start out cooking by trying to make chicken cordon bleu or a perfect cheesecake, and they never understand why their efforts don't come out the way they expected.

So I dug out something I compiled for our younger kid when he went off to his second year of college insisting that he wanted to save the food service costs and do his own cooking, and I'll copy and paste it here. For what it's worth, he now cooks at least as well and sometimes better than his parents, including a lot of quite complicated dishes that we've certainly never taught him.

Easy Recipes for One Person

Shopping list: the basic kitchen essentials
Garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!)
Onion powder (NOT onion salt!)
Dried oregano
Dried basil
Dried sage
Black pepper
Worcestershire sauce
White wine Worcestershire sauce
Parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper

When buying herbs and spices to use in cooking for one person, don’t get the huge size containers. The spices may be less expensive per ounce that way, but they’ll lose their flavor and aroma long before you finish them. The ingredient referred to as “Pasta Sprinkle” is a mixture of basic Italian-style herb seasonings that comes from Penzey’s Spices; you can substitute a shake of oregano, basil and garlic powder and get pretty much the same effect.

Learn to read labels and cooking directions! Some pasta brands and shapes cook in five minutes, others take twelve; always look at the box or package for cooking tips.

Single-Serving Chicken Imperial
1 pc. chicken, thawed - can be boneless or bone-in, with or without skin
1 T. butter or margarine
Sprinkle of black pepper
Sprinkle of garlic powder
2 good pinches Parmesan cheese
1 T. bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350, and line an oven-safe pan with foil.

Put the butter or margarine in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap (leaving a vent) and microwave on Defrost for 20-30 seconds.

Coat the chicken in the melted butter and lay in the foil-lined pan. Sprinkle black pepper, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs (in that order) over the chicken.

Bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hour.

Vary the seasonings by trying rubbed sage, Penzey’s Pasta Sprinkle or onion powder either along with or instead of the garlic powder and/or black pepper.

Make this into a more substantial meal by scrubbing up a potato, poking it with a fork or knifepoint 3 or 4 times and baking it along with the chicken. (ALWAYS poke a few holes in a potato before baking, or you'll wind up cleaning potato off the inside of your oven!)

Ways to liven up noodles
After cooking and draining, add a tablespoon or two of butter and a shake of Pasta Sprinkle, and toss until the butter is melted. Alternative: use olive oil instead of butter. In addition to or instead of the Pasta Sprinkle, try garlic powder, onion powder or half-sharp paprika.

After cooking and draining, shake a fair bit of Parmesan or Romano cheese over the noodles, then add a tablespoon or two of sour cream. Toss together until the sour cream coats the noodles and the cheese starts to melt. Top with a good shake of black pepper. If you don’t have sour cream, use butter instead.

Cut up a strip or two of bacon and fry the bits up crisp in a skillet while the pasta cooks. Drain the pasta and dump it into the skillet with the bacon bits and bacon grease. Pour a couple of beaten eggs over the pasta and bacon, add a good shake of Parmesan cheese, and stir just until the eggs are set. Can add cooked peas to this for added color/texture.

Home-made mac-n-cheese:
After cooking and draining the noodles, dump an 8 oz. package of grated cheddar cheese over them, then add a bit of milk. Stir over low heat until cheese is melted, adding more milk if necessary. If desired, add a sprinkle of onion powder, Cayenne or half-sharp paprika to liven up the flavor. You can also stir in cut-up cooked ham or a cut-up cooked hotdog.

Adding meat to tomato sauce:
Over medium heat, brown a half-pound of ground beef or bulk sausage, breaking it up into small bits with a spoon as it cooks. Drain off excess fat (use an empty tin can, then refrigerate until congealed and put in the trash, not recycling). Add pasta sauce and stir until hot.

Cut up an Italian sausage into 1” chunks and put in a skillet with ½ cup water. Cover and cook over medium low, checking regularly. When the water has cooked off, take the lid off and brown the sausage pieces. Drain any excess fat, add pasta sauce and stir until hot.

Thaw a boneless, skinless chicken breast. Put a skillet on a medium burner until the pan is hot, then pour in about 1 tablespoon of oil. Carefully slide the chicken breast into the pan (don’t flop it in, hot oil spatters easily). Cook about 5 minutes on a side, and check for doneness by poking a knifepoint into the thickest part of the chicken. If the juices are clear and not pink, it’s done. At this point, you can either add the pasta sauce and stir until it’s hot, or you can pull out the chicken breast, slice it up into bite-size chunks, and put it back in the pan with the sauce to heat.

Alternatives to pasta sauce: use a can of tomato soup with garlic powder and Pasta Sprinkle. You’ll need to add some water to get it the right consistency. This won’t be the same consistency or as flavorful as commercial pasta sauce, but is a decent alternative in a pinch.

Noodles & Tuna
After cooking and draining the noodles, put them back in the pan. Add 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1 or 2 cans of drained tuna. Stir over low until heated through.

Alternative: use 1 can cream of chicken soup and 1 or 2 cans of white meat chicken (which you’ll find in the same general area of the grocery store as tuna).

Another alternative: add a 10-oz. box of frozen peas, green beans or mixed vegetables when you’re cooking the noodles.

Juicy Baked Chicken
Put a single piece of thawed chicken in a small, oven-safe casserole dish with a lid. Add any of the following that you have on hand and feel like using:
¼ cup white wine
Good splash of white wine Worcestershire sauce
A good shake of onion powder OR half an onion chopped
A good shake of garlic powder OR a mashed clove of garlic
A shake of black pepper
A pinch of rubbed sage

Put the lid on the casserole dish and bake in a 350 oven for an hour to an hour and a quarter.

Chicken Sesame
Thawed chicken pieces (coating will cover 3-4 pieces)
1 cup of corn flakes (any brand)
1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
Miracle Whip salad dressing

Put the corn flakes in a wide shallow bowl and crush them into crumbs. Add the sesame seeds and seasonings and mix well. Scoop out a couple of spoons full of Miracle Whip into a separate bowl. Line an oven-safe pan with foil.

Take a piece of chicken and coat it with the Miracle Whip; fingers work best, and it’s very messy. Dip the coated chicken into the crumb mixture, then lay it in the foil-lined pan. Repeat for the rest of the chicken pieces. Bake in a 350 oven for an hour.

Meatloaf Basics
1 lb. Ground beef (optional: use half ground beef and half pork sausage)
½ cup of either bread crumbs, cracker crumbs or dry oatmeal
1 raw egg
1-2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
Either a half-cup of chopped onion or a good shake of onion powder
Either a mashed clove of garlic or a good shake of garlic powder

Mix all ingredients thoroughly; hands will work best. Pack into an oven-safe pan (loaf-shape is traditional but any shape will work, including a cast-iron skillet) and drizzle a little tomato catsup over the top. Bake in a 350 oven for an hour to an hour and a half. Eat what you’re hungry for, then refrigerate the rest and slice it down to make sandwiches. Multiply the basic recipe to make a larger meatloaf to feed a crowd (plan for longer cooking time if you do this). Play with the seasonings to get the balance that you like.

Once you’re comfortable with the seasoning mix, you can experiment with other combinations. Leave out the Worcestershire sauce and add a teaspoon or two of chili powder and some ground cumin, with picante sauce instead of catsup on top, to make a Mexican-flavored meatloaf.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:13 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
allrecipes.com (as others said)
myrecipes.com
simpledailyrecipes.com
cookingchanneltv.com (and search for Kelsey's essentials, she teaches basic cooking and has great ideas)

Old 06-29-2011, 09:49 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
If you want to keep it simple, get "America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook".

It lists pantry basics, necessary cookware, and explains things very well.
And the recipes are good!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Another great book is called Joy of Cooking. I hear newer editions aren't great compared to the older ones (I only have one copy, a '64 edition).

Start watching Food and Cook channels. PBS also has some great cooking shows.

If you come upon a technique or "chef code" word, simply google it and you will find answers on the first 5 results or so.
Great ideas, I had forgotten about "Joy of Cooking" I am a huge fan of the food Network, but am not crazy, so far, over the other food channel.

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink