U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 11:58 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,594,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
No, there is no way to detect the salmonella without lab testing
So you're saying that none of these are true?

how to detect salmonella - Google Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 12:46 PM

8,095 posts, read 12,743,355 times
Just glancing at the list, it seems all of those are done with laboratory equipment.

If they've discovered a way for a consumer to get an egg out of their refrigerator and irrevocably prove it does or doesn't have SE, I think that would make the news ... SE doesn't have obvious signs like taste, color or smell.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM

682 posts, read 2,047,359 times
Back to the original post -- I also suggest Betty Crocker or Better Homes and Gardens. Both are simple, easy, and have all of the basics you need to learn to cook.

I would also suggest that you learn how to make a basic "white sauce" or "bechamel sauce."
White Sauce or Bechamel Sauce Recipe at Epicurious.com

This can be used as the base for any creamed food or soup.

Soups:
Cream of broccoli - bechamel, broccoli, cheddar cheese
Cream of potato - bechamel, potatoes, onion, cheese
Clam Chowder - bechamel, clams, potatoes, onions, etc...you get the idea.

Gravy:
-brown sausage and use the drippings in place of butter for your bechamel, serve with biscuits.
-brown hamburger, add to bechamel, serve over mashed potatoes

Mac & Cheese
-bechamel, cheese, paprika, powdered mustard, etc.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:38 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,669,768 times
Something a good cook will find helpful, since few kitchens have every ingredient called for in every recipe, is a good RECIPE SUBSTITUTION GUIDE. Sort of like this one...

The Great Substitution Guide A to Z

Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Something a good cook will find helpful, since few kitchens have every ingredient called for in every recipe, is a good RECIPE SUBSTITUTION GUIDE. Sort of like this one...

what a great idea. I don't know how many times I have wondered how to sub this for that or if I don't like a particular herb or spice, what else can I use? Thank God for the internet. We ran into this just a couple days ago. While making our strawberry jam we realized the recipes we were using all called for liquid pectin and I never use it. I get the powdered at the Mannenite store for about 60% less than the grocery stores. You would think as long as I have been doing jam I would know what I am doing, but I always worry about it not setting up or setting up too much, so I still glance at the recipe..We found out the substiution chart and the difference in how to use the two. It seems to have set perfectally....At first we thought it was going to be like syrup, nope, two days later, it is just perfect...

Old 07-02-2012, 08:14 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:

what a great idea. I don't know how many times I have wondered how to sub this for that or if I don't like a particular herb or spice, what else can I use? Thank God for the internet. We ran into this just a couple days ago. While making our strawberry jam we realized the recipes we were using all called for liquid pectin and I never use it. I get the powdered at the Mannenite store for about 60% less than the grocery stores. You would think as long as I have been doing jam I would know what I am doing, but I always worry about it not setting up or setting up too much, so I still glance at the recipe..We found out the substiution chart and the difference in how to use the two. It seems to have set perfectally....At first we thought it was going to be like syrup, nope, two days later, it is just perfect...

Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,669,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I also know several people that use lemon juice, rather than pectin, to thicken up jams and jellies.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 PM

42,220 posts, read 49,768,169 times
One great thing to do is when you eat something you really like at a restaurant, look up the recipe and try to recreate. That's a good place to start.

Watch cooking shows like Barefoot Contessa. Because she will SHOW you how to do things. Step by step.

I get a lot of recipes from foodnetwork.com

Old 07-04-2012, 01:33 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,594,074 times
Quote:

Awesome link. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times
haven't read the whole thread and maybe somebody has already suggested this. don't be insulted but there are some great kids cook books out there with great pictures, suggestions. A few years ago I bought 2 different cook books for my 2 daughters. I found some great recipes which have turned out to be family recipes.

tivo cooks country on PBS. Great show with good explanations and even experiments. it is a wealth of information.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink