U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,888,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
My new year's resolution is to learn to cook better and to cook more often. I can do the basics pretty well and I can make some pretty good stuff (beef stew, fajitas, stir fry - good, but not too fancy or complex), but I really want to take my cooking to the next level if that makes sense. I was looking at the meatball thread in the recipes section, and thinking wow, I wish I could make homemade meatballs, and sauce...I'm guilty of usually using sauce from a jar, which is not the same as homemade. I'd like to learn to bake pies from scratch, make homemade sauce, etc.! My question for those of you who cook a lot and are really good at it is - how did you learn? Did you take a class, did someone teach you, did you experiment on your own? What is your best advice for learning to be a better cook?

Oh, and just for fun, I am curious what is the fanciest thing you make? The thing you're most proud of? You know, the thing you'd make if the Queen came over for dinner?
When I started getting addicted to cooking shows it took my cooking to another level since I followed those recipes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 AM

118,677 posts, read 13,639,494 times
I learned how to cook on my own,once I had my own place. I learned from books and once I got married my sweetest DH became my Guinea pig . Everything I tried on him and practice made perfect, now I am at least I think I am a very good cook. As told from people, I excel in East Indian Cuisine, Italian Cuisine and German Cuisine.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 AM

13,019 posts, read 7,196,376 times
I had an older friend that was an excellent cook. She taught me some basics but I learned by trial and error. I have a Filipino friend that shared her recipe for soup that calls for spinach. It's my fiendish plan to get more leafy greens in hubbies diet. It worked too, he loves the soup. As a matter of fact we're eating it right now.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM

6,056 posts, read 7,956,243 times
Thanks everyone!! I loved reading your responses! I am inspired to be better!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 PM

451 posts, read 615,103 times
A combination of Mom, Home Ec in Junior High, and wanting to learn how to cook healthy...thankful for websites like Cooking Light and Skinnytaste...my husband is very grateful..and happy!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:56 PM

69,273 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
When I started getting addicted to cooking shows it took my cooking to another level since I followed those recipes.
Even at my age, I still love to experiment with recipes I get from cooking shows and I get the Foodnet magazine. It has a wealth of information. We are never to old to learn and change how we do things. At least I hope we are not..

Nita

Old 03-16-2013, 04:44 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,592,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
haven't read the whole thread and maybe somebody has already suggested this. don't be insulted but there are some great kids cook books out there with great pictures, suggestions. A few years ago I bought 2 different cook books for my 2 daughters. I found some great recipes which have turned out to be family recipes.

tivo cooks country on PBS. Great show with good explanations and even experiments. it is a wealth of information.

good luck
Sorry that I never replied to you sooner.

What are the name of those two kid books? Haha. It wouldn't hurt to help out in my current progress.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM

21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post

What are the name of those two kid books? Haha. It wouldn't hurt to help out in my current progress.
Tell us what you've learned to cook!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,574,424 times
haven't read whole thread yet, but just start off with a good cookbook with home style recipes. HIGHLY recommend this Thomas Keller (probably the greatest American chef of all time) book:

Many of the recipes are easily doable, taste fantastic, and can impress company easily. Julia Child is also a must own for almost anyone.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post

Three cookbooks I got off our shelf without much searching (there are others I'll look for later)

William Sonoma The kids' cookbook

Southern Living kids cookbook

The everything Kids's cookbook

Those are a great start and we have many family favorites from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink