U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 05:52 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,109,412 times

Advertisements

Like Mike,

Just Do It.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 06:41 AM

33,136 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Learning to cook can take a bit of time and can benefit from some creativity,by constantly doing it you'll get better and better at it and enjoy the fruits of your labor more and more.
Heres a few recipes that are made with the beginner in mind.=
Cooking & Recipes - For Dummies

Old 04-19-2015, 07:29 AM

2,600 posts, read 1,488,402 times
I taught myself from cookbooks starting when I was around 8 years old. Back then that's all we had to learn with. There was some trial and error due to not being able to fully visualize what was being described in the books but by the time I was 12, I was making souffles, and by the time I was in high school, I was preparing whole Chinese meals from scratch with a wok I bought by mail order. All just from cookbooks--if I had had access to all the cooking shows they have now (and YouTube) I would have been in heaven.

Get a basic cookbook. Take a few out of the library until you find one you like and then buy it. Don't be too proud to take a look at a book for children or teens--it's a good way to learn basic techniques and terms.

It's okay to go online for recipes once you have your cooking legs under you, but IMO sometimes they aren't as well tested as the recipes in a book. If you come across a technique you don't understand, YouTube it and there will undoubtedly be several videos you can watch.

Also don't be too hard on yourself if something doesn't turn out--have you ever seen the size of the garbage cans in a restaurant kitchen? And they are professionals.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:42 AM

3,717 posts, read 4,494,215 times
I learned the basics from watching Mom and holiday's with the family

At thirteen I started washing dishes at a fine dining night club, by the time
I was seventeen I was the broiler chef calling orders for an extensive Italian
American menu.

I'd really suggest with some semi home made meal until you get comfortable
for example, P.F. Changs orange chicken for two in the freezer section
follow the directions, but add in a few other things like I do unsalted peanuts
just before serving, or some fresh veggies that are not included in the package.

Another quick favorite is Tuna Helper, except use fresh shrimp instead then add
some asparagus and cheery tomatoes also add in a bit of garlic & oregano

There will be mistakes, but you have to start somewhere

Good Luck !

Old 04-19-2015, 07:54 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,608,567 times
When my daughter and son were growing up and I was preparing food for my husband and the 2 children, I accumulated many easy recipes. When son went to college, he began learning how to cook. He hated eating out or even in the cafeteria, so his solution was to prepare it himself, which he did. We were often on the phone with him wanting to know the recipes for various foods he liked growing up.

Since he chose a bachelor's life, he ended up cooking many meals. All you have to do is cook a few meals and you'll feel like an old hand at cooking. I taught myself because my mother didn't want me under her feet in the kitchen. She was territorial and that included me.

Later when my son married, if he arrived home from work before his wife, he headed to the kitchen to prepare the evening meal. It was a job they easily shared. He's now back to being single and by now I think he's a better cook than I am.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:07 AM

11,697 posts, read 16,443,612 times
You will need some basic tools and some basic pantry items. I would start with a good non stick pan and lid.
Scrambled eggs (the stuff in the carton in the cooler section of the grocery store which has no yolks), cubed ham, mushrooms - on a bagel, in a tortilla. Next!

Old 04-19-2015, 08:15 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,633,860 times
Start every meal with a salad. Buy a bag of salad greens and cut up into it a bit of onion, carrot, green pepper, cucumber, or whatever you like. You can add croutons, raisins, nuts, cottage cheese, and fruit too.

Get a crockpot. Add an inch of broth from a can or box to whatever meat, poultry, or pork cut you like and sprinkle on top with a little bit of one of those seasoning packets appropriate to what you want to make. You could add steak seasoning, bbq sauce, teriyaki, or even one of the many kinds of salad dressings during cooking or afterwards. --I have a three section one I love, one section for meat, one for cut up potatoes with butter and sometimes cheese, and another for canned fruit, add a dash of cinnamon. Be aware that crockpot cooking can take much longer than oven time.

You can use your dutch oven both on top of the stove and in the oven in place of a roasting pan. Add onions and/or garlic, salt and pepper. Poultry seasoning, steak seasoning.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 AM

34,539 posts, read 42,708,506 times
All you need is the desire and you will do great! Get good quality, basic equipment. Browse a bookstore cookbook section and buy one you feel is simple enough to follow.

Start simple. Google instructions and watch some cooking shows. Buy plain, fresh ingredients. Teach yourself to cook a perfect steak, fry a perfect egg, make a baked or mashed potato, make a nice salad, throw together a decent pasta sauce. Steam in a bag frozen vegetables are fine, and so is bottled salad dressing at first, although both are easy to make from scratch. Baby steps.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:52 AM

6,488 posts, read 6,598,773 times
I learned from my mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:04 AM

7,310 posts, read 4,675,318 times
I've always loved to cook, and grew up watching my grandma and mom cooking. I learned a few basic tricks from them, but didn't really start cooking (following new recipes) until a few years ago.

If I feel intimidated by a new recipe, I will search youtube videos in order to find it and watch it being done in real time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink