U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM

4,470 posts, read 6,612,560 times

Advertisements

I also have read many receipe books, watch some cooking shows; then close the book and cook.
Guess it's kinda like having a gift for music, listen and write or play. Me, read and cook!

Tonight, creamed tuna haha..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 02:13 PM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Mostly from my mom, my aunt, and my grandmothers. After that, a lot of experimentation, trial and error, successes, failures and disasters, live and learn, and the help of some friends.

When I was about 7 or so I got a copy of the Betty Crocker's New Boys and Girls Cookbook. I still use recipes out of it, on occasion.

Quote:
quite a few phone calls to my mother
My mom lives for those phone calls! Sometimes, even if I know what I'm doing, I'll call her anyway to ask. Just a small way of making her happy.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:34 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,805,870 times
I started off "helping" my mom and grandma with their baking. I learned how follow a recipe, how to separate egg yolks, the difference between stirring/folding/beating, how to knead and roll out dough, preheating the oven, etc., etc.

Later I helped make salads and learned to do some of the prep work for meals - cutting onions, grating cheese, etc.

When I was old enough, my mom let me start making some simple meals on my own (spaghetti, hamburger helper, meatloaf, etc.).

Old 01-10-2011, 02:45 PM

416 posts, read 536,245 times
From mom and grandma for basics, from recipes and trial & error, and I get tips/ideas from cooking shows.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:09 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,246,067 times
i watched both my parents cooking while growing up, but neither really let me try my hand at anything. i have always loved baking because i love following recipes. when i got married i went through quite a while of eating very basic stuff and trying to cook on my own. after a few barely edible meals, spice wise, something clicked in my brain. i am no chef by any means, but i understand which spices should go together with which foods and have gotten much better. i get compliments all the time from freinds and family.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:14 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,547,418 times
Learned to cook after I was married. When I was living at home till 25-always working and never interested. When I was married then I called my mom and 2nd mom (mil)
Now I still have a lot of their recipes (hand written)but scour the net for low fat recipes as our lifestyle eating has changed.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 PM

10 posts, read 18,805 times
I hated cooking when I was younger. My mantra was, " I don't cook, I re-heat." Then the scale starting going up and up from eating so much fast food, and I finally said enough was enough. So, after many disasters, and almost burning down a kitchen once, I think my cooking is very good. I still have my disasters like anyone else.

I think my mom is loving it when I still call her and ask her questions about a recipe. I will, however, never be able to replicate her potato salad, still the best in the world.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM

21,871 posts, read 12,745,054 times
My parents had restaurants when I was young. I didn't pay any attention. When I was stuck at home by myself, I started watching "Julia Child, The Galloping Gourmet and Justin Wilson" on PBS. Of course as I become older, I read cookbooks, cut articles out of the newspaper and now on the Internet.

I like the idea of cooking items that are from scratch so I can control what is in the recipe and everyone seems to appreciate that things are made from scratch and with love.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,008,285 times
I tend to freestyle and get very creative when I cook, though for specifics I will find something online or in a book if precise measurements are crucial, (like a good batter recipe, I love to fry!)

I look in the kitchen, see what I got to work with, and voila!

I'm actually a better cook than my mother (sorry ma, mean it) she rarely used spices, or even salt!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 PM

10,116 posts, read 16,713,055 times
Reading some of these comments, I realize I need to give credit to some of the chefs on the Food Network for teaching me knife skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink