U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,887,652 times

Advertisements

I bought some Campbell's cookbook when I was 21 but didn't use it until a couple of years later. I started cooking from that. I also started watching the FoodNetwork back in the day. I became addicted to cookbooks and websites like allrecipes and learned everything on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 PM

3,844 posts, read 5,103,670 times
I learned much from my first mother in law. I think the woman made her own crackers; just amazing.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:02 PM

2,256 posts, read 5,901,941 times
Is it just me or anyone who can't cook just can't seem to follow directions or have the ability to look up and find out things for themselves when they don't understand what a recipe calls for?

Old 01-11-2011, 01:39 AM

2,060 posts, read 4,908,108 times
First from my grandmother who I used to spend my summers with as a child (although interestingly she never taught my mother how to cook), then books and tv shows. It started with shows like BBC Good Food and Delia Smith, and progressed to Jamie Oliver's Naked Chef and Nigella Lawson (I grew up in Europe). I remember when we went to Canada on vacation I was glued to Food Network, I watched it for hours every morning while battling jetlag.

Food Network and now the Cooking Channel are the two most watched stations on my tv still. I also have a significant cookbook collection.

Although I also have to give credit to my old Sicilian roommate who taught me how to cook pasta and risotto properly.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:46 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,992,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Is it just me or anyone who can't cook just can't seem to follow directions or have the ability to look up and find out things for themselves when they don't understand what a recipe calls for?
I dont think it's just you.. it seems that there are some people that cant follow a recipe.. I'd name them, but then I would be picking on my Mom.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,838,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Mostly from my mom, my aunt, and my grandmothers. After that, a lot of experimentation, trial and error, successes, failures and disasters, live and learn, and the help of some friends.

When I was about 7 or so I got a copy of the Betty Crocker's New Boys and Girls Cookbook. I still use recipes out of it, on occasion.

My mom lives for those phone calls! Sometimes, even if I know what I'm doing, I'll call her anyway to ask. Just a small way of making her happy.
I had the same cookbook. I loved that thing and wish I still had it.

I mainly taught myself to cook. I started reading cookbooks as a kid, and wishing my mom would cook some of the yummy sounding things in them. My mom is not really much of a cook at all. Growing up, if it didn't come out of a box, can or bag, we didn't eat it. As a housewife in the 60's she saw herself as a modern women, and to her, cooking from scratch was old fashioned. I learned more from my grandmother, although I didn't get to spend enough time with her to learn much. My parents still comment on what a good cook I turned out to be, and my dad always comments on how I cook like his mom. I also have some of my MIL's and her moms cookbooks and hand written recipes and notes. They have been invaluable to me. I still love to read cookbooks and experiment with recipes. I also love the Food Network, and give credit to some of their chefs for some my families favorite meals. I always laugh at my kids, because I do have a few recipes from my mom. Some of them are family favorites here, but my kids hate it when they eat the same thing at my parents house, because they say Grammy just can't cook.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
When I got married, one of our most useful gifts was the Betty Crocker Cookbook--the one with the red and white plaid cover--do you know it? That really helped me a lot.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:05 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Mom.
Cookbooks.
Some friends.
Experimenting on my own <-----this is the most important!!! This is definitely one of those skills that has to be practiced repeatedly.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,838,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
When I got married, one of our most useful gifts was the Betty Crocker Cookbook--the one with the red and white plaid cover--do you know it? That really helped me a lot.
Know it well. I actually have another addition of it. Mine has an orange cover with a photo montage on the front. It's the same book, but I think it was some kind of special addition or something. Got it when I married and it has been the cornerstone of my cookbook library. After 27 years I still rely on it.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
I learned to cook from my grandmother. Who was one terrific cook. She had a farm, was very old world, and got up at 5am every day to make the bread. The big meal was eaten at the middle of the day. I sat on a stool in her kitchen and we talked while she prepared the meals. Everything was from scratch. And she canned all her own fruits and veggies. What she didn't grow she got from neighbors. I'd sit and peel potatos, snap beans, whatever. And I watched everything she was doing.

I can close my eyes and still taste her simmered chicken. She should have had a restaurant. A lot of neighbors managed to "stop by for a minute" at mealtimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink