U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:05 AM

28,227 posts, read 19,221,030 times

Advertisements

I basically learned out of survival. My mother was and still is a terrible cook and my grandmother was average but bland. Never was a clove of garlic allowed to cross the threshold. Roast beef was cooked to consistency of shoe leather.

When I was 13, my mother got a job from 3-11PM-so my job after school was watching my 3 younger siblings (one an infant) and cooking dinner. I started making things up in my head and making them. Boy was my Dad happy.

A couple of years later, my best friend's Mom-who was a wonderful cook, found me watching her every move in the kitchen. I credit her with my love of food and experimentation.

I enjoy watching cooking shows on TV-especially Lidia Bastianich and Barefoot Contessa.

So what's your story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 10:06 AM

21,902 posts, read 20,911,959 times
Trial and error!!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:40 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,153,888 times
I love food. I picked up some cookbooks, and started experimenting

Old 01-19-2008, 11:05 AM

3,746 posts, read 4,504,488 times
I started when I was 10yrs old making
pancakes before the TV went off at midinght

When I was 13 I started washing dishes at a fine
dining night club American/Italian,I was taken under the wing of the owner and running the
kitchen and Sunday Buffet by the time I turned
seventeen

The only down fall to this it's makes it hard to
eat out

Old 01-19-2008, 11:58 AM

20,799 posts, read 8,535,706 times
Experimenting.....if I wanted to create something I had in a restaurant I would get what ingredients I thought was in something, as I cooked it I would write down what I put in it...if we liked it, we saved it and voila, a new recipe.
I love the combination of different spices and a lot of my cooking is that combination.
I will take a recipe, throw out what doesn't look good, add things that I think will and again something new. I haven't had too many complaints except my kids used to say "Mom, can't we just have a hot dog"?

Old 01-19-2008, 02:13 PM

514 posts, read 1,471,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Experimenting.....if I wanted to create something I had in a restaurant I would get what ingredients I thought was in something, as I cooked it I would write down what I put in it...if we liked it, we saved it and voila, a new recipe.
I love the combination of different spices and a lot of my cooking is that combination.
I will take a recipe, throw out what doesn't look good, add things that I think will and again something new.
Same as posted above, plus I learned alot from my Mom. I use alot of her recipes, some of which were my great grandmothers. You cant beat a recipe for gravy thats been in the family that long. God Bless them old Italians

Old 01-19-2008, 02:22 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,221,030 times
Machinist-so glad you called it "gravy". On-going arguement with hubby-he says "sauce"-not when it's loaded with sausage,pork, meatballs, braciole-now that's gravy. (And I'm not even Italian).

Old 01-19-2008, 02:23 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,175,621 times
I learned a lot from my mom. She was an adventurous cook.
I still have her Joy of Cooking, which had belonged to her own mom--it has notes from both penciled in about this or that recipe. ("Terrible!" "Sauce too runny.")
There were a few failed cakes and disastrous dinners during the Cooking Education of Cil.
One time I forgot about the eggs I was boiling and they exploded onto the ceiling. Good times.
When I went off to college, my grandma sent me a book called the College Cookbook, it was recipes and money-saving strategies culled from college kids all over the USA.
It emboldened me to try all kinds of food, all sorts of techniques.
Then when I got married and had kids, I became a bit more domestic, our hours were more regulated, and I had to please a husband who needed more calories than I did, so this was yet another learning experience.
I'm still learning all the time.
Since I've been living in Florida, I've been eating a lot more fresh seafood than I ever had in Colorado.
Cooking is still fun for me.
It's just dirty dishes that are laborious.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:26 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,630,597 times
My mom taught me quite a bit. But she also let me experiment. I learned ALOT by doing that. I had 3 younger siblings as my taste testers. My kids are little, but they help me in the kitchen. They both love to help and I hope they will enjoy it later on.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:50 PM

116 posts, read 403,458 times
I learned cooking from my mom and some cooking and baking from my dad,but I didn't learn to REALLY cook until I had kids and had no choice but to learn to cook everything. Over the years I now know what I am doing and teaching both of my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink