U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 01:48 AM

1,034 posts, read 980,102 times

Advertisements

I do have a very small garden, in fact most would laugh when they see it, but I like to grow tomato, sage, onion, thyme, and snap peas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 06:23 AM

11,689 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Tomatoes, lots of peppers, beets, lettuce, chard, onions, cucumbers, beans, an assortment of herbs.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:32 AM

6,939 posts, read 7,654,041 times
We grow the type of stuff that we'd otherwise spend the most money on --

Potatoes
Onions
Carrots
Squash
Tomatoes
Peppers

We use all of these most heavily in cooking, and put special emphasis on tomatoes, of which we grow literally hundreds of pounds. These items either go into our root cellar, or get canned in marathon outdoor canning sessions (esp. tomato sauce). The onions that don't go into root storage are chopped (as are peppers) and frozen for use in recipes or on the griddle.

Herbs are more my wife's department, but I know she grows basil, celery leaf, marjoram and oregano, among others (like lemon mint), but not sure what they all are.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:36 AM

34,526 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
We grow the type of stuff that we'd otherwise spend the most money on --

Potatoes
Onions
Carrots
Squash
Tomatoes
Peppers

We use all of these most heavily in cooking, and put special emphasis on tomatoes, of which we grow literally hundreds of pounds. These items either go into our root cellar, or get canned in marathon outdoor canning sessions (esp. tomato sauce). The onions that don't go into root storage are chopped (as are peppers) and frozen for use in recipes or on the griddle.

Herbs are more my wife's department, but I know she grows basil, celery leaf, marjoram and oregano, among others (like lemon mint), but not sure what they all are.
Most people would think that a southern garden would be more productive than a New England one, but as a transplanted northerner, I think it is much harder to get good vegetables to grow in the south. They really do better with nice cool night temperatures. Not to mention that nice rich soil.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:53 AM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times
For the first time, I have two tomato plants in containers on my back deck. If they produce, I'll have plenty of maters for the Summer. If not, oh, well.

Now if I could figure out how to grow cannoli...

Old 05-29-2015, 12:41 PM

7,568 posts, read 10,383,833 times
Parsley, chives, oregano and basil in a container.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:40 PM

5,496 posts, read 3,352,872 times
We grow vegetables all year round, but right now the cool season vegetables (lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes, beets) are on the way out. I might get another 2-3 weeks out of them depending on the weather. For the summer, I've put in two tomatoes, three cucumbers, one zucchini (one is enough--already getting lots of zucchini!), two bell peppers, and pole beans.

I have a rosemary plant that does wonderfully, and two bay trees in pots. Other than that I'm not fond of growing herbs. Most of them, I don't use enough to make it worthwhile. They just end up going to seed unused. The ones I do use are so cheap anyway. A big bunch of cilantro is only 50 cents at the store, so I don't bother trying to grow it.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:54 AM

27,425 posts, read 17,619,243 times
This is my first garden at the new house, so I'm still learning what will do well and where. I have:

rosemary
sage
thyme
oregano
dill
parsley
cilantro
basil
4 types of chili peppers
garlic chives
chives
green onions
romaine lettuce (bolted super quick due to heat)
2 types of chard
collard greens
kale
2 types mint
manoa lettuce
arugla
spinach
2 types of tomatoes
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-30-2015, 11:38 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,272,723 times
I have two tomato plants (while both are flowering, only the one that gets the most sunlight is actually producing fruit so far . . . I imagine that the other plant won't be too far behind), basil, and thyme. I had rosemary, but it didn't take too kindly to being re-potted.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:30 PM

3,876 posts, read 4,571,964 times
Unfortunately for me, anything I grow that's edible gets eaten before I can harvest it. So, I grow squirrel food. Oh, and okra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink