U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 05:37 PM

4,527 posts, read 3,166,825 times

Advertisements

Collard greens. The perfect crop. Plant in fall and pick Collards all winter. The leaves are well of the ground at easy picking height, consequently are clean and don't require a lot of washing. Some good cornbread , big slice of onion and some good pepper sauce and I'm happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 06:22 PM

17,357 posts, read 3,537,755 times
This yr., it will be common vegetables...tomatoes, heirloom and cherry, cucumbers, zucchini, peppers, okra, squash, lettuce, carrots, spinach, snow peas

and fresh herbs....basil, thyme, chives, tarragon if I can find a transplant, coriander...and dill

Old 04-18-2018, 08:48 PM

183,827 posts, read 74,970,778 times
I'm still learning how to adapt to this TN high altitude and different sandstone soil. Normally I'll grow most everything down the alphabet from Asparagus to zucchini with few exceptions. Swiss chard being one of them and rutabagas the other. Never have grown artichokes and know nothing about growing them. Okra is a must along with southern peas. Normally the emphasis is on things that are not available in the supermarkets at a known quality or decent price.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:34 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
This year will be a lot less than in years past. First of all, I had much better luck in other places, like NM. Here my main problem along with not being able to bend like I used to has been squash bugs, both on the squash and the cukes. I have decided I will depend on the small local farmers markets them my squash type plants. add to that, the crappy spring we have had with nothing but cold weather and lost plants this year it is mostly tomatoes. Will be planting them, (not from seed) this weekend. Also we already have some herbs ready to go: basil, thia basil, mint and rosemary. The green beans will be planted this week end as well,followed by okra in about a week or so. That is it unless I decide to do a few pepper plants.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:29 AM

34,538 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I’m down to patio tomatoes, which are doing well so far, and some herbs in the failed garden bed...rosemary, oregano, and thyme.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:21 AM

10,119 posts, read 16,716,797 times
I container garden mostly, but I have two large raised garden beds among them. I made the big box an herb garden this year, it has last Spring’s giant mutant Italian parsley plant on one end, and new transplants of basil, thyme, and dill. Growing in the other corner I have spearmint, which I yank back regularly to prevent it taking over. The square foot garden has some lettuce and radish, 1 volunteer potato plant, 1 cherry tomato, and 2 garlic chives. I also have lavender, 2 other tomatoes and jalapeños and Serranos in pots.

My neighbor farms like Jim in this thread. Too much work for me!

Old 04-19-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This year will be a lot less than in years past. First of all, I had much better luck in other places, like NM. Here my main problem along with not being able to bend like I used to has been squash bugs, both on the squash and the cukes. I have decided I will depend on the small local farmers markets them my squash type plants. add to that, the crappy spring we have had with nothing but cold weather and lost plants this year it is mostly tomatoes. Will be planting them, (not from seed) this weekend. Also we already have some herbs ready to go: basil, thia basil, mint and rosemary. The green beans will be planted this week end as well,followed by okra in about a week or so. That is it unless I decide to do a few pepper plants.

If you don't mind pesticide....Sevin powder controls squash bugs....

Old 04-19-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
If you don't mind pesticide....Sevin powder controls squash bugs....
True but misapplied it is very lethal to bees in the garden.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
True but misapplied it is very lethal to bees in the garden.
This is true....I literally use a small paintbrush to apply powder and avoid flowers....hoping that does the trick.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
This is true....I literally use a small paintbrush to apply powder and avoid flowers....hoping that does the trick.
Best to use right before dark around the stems near the ground with a liquid seven when the bees are gone for the day. Same for cantaloupes and other flowering vegetables that bees are highly attracted too. Now I grow squash in large patio containers so I don't bend so much. Bending translates to pain and bad meds so... Containers here I come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink