Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 06:59 PM

84 posts, read 123,746 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to drink more tea recently. Green tea, chamomile, etc mostly to help with stress and to sleep better. I see a lot of people praising tea and many seem to swear to by it. I was just wondering from your personal experiences if you actually saw the benefits you wanted with tea. If you drink tea for anything other than just taste or enjoyment, what do you drink it for and how successful has it been for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 07:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Chamomile tea is known for helping with sleep. Valerian root tea is known as a de-stresser, if you can get past the stress of enduring the taste of it (it's rather unpleasant).

However, neither are useful for sleep if you're drinking it too close to bedtime, because you end up waking up in the middle of the night needing to go to the bathroom

Old 05-30-2015, 10:05 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
I drink black tea often, but I always usually add cinnamon, cloves, and/or star anise with milk and sugar or honey. It's probably not making me feel any better, but I just like the taste. I would like to start drinking straight tea more seriously over coffee eventually, I just find it harder to enjoy although I'm coming around more all the time.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:49 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
I drink a lot of tea. I find its one of the best things to soothe me when I'm having an anxiety attack. Black or green tea usually, no milk or sugar. Chamomile in the evenings sometimes. But just tea, any kind, at any point in the day, relaxes you, soothes you, it makes you sit down and take some time. Its like getting a warm hug from the inside

Old 05-31-2015, 07:38 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
However, neither are useful for sleep if you're drinking it too close to bedtime, because you end up waking up in the middle of the night needing to go to the bathroom
Tea is a diuretic naturally, and will do this to you. Also check out how much caffiene is in the tea you drink; black teas often have more caffiene that coffee does. Not good for sleep!

To the OP: I once ate something that had gone bad, and got violently ill from it. This was some 20 years ago. I literally could not hold a thing on my stomach. For two days I ate and drank nothing. On the third day, my wife was brewing some black tea (she's a heavy tea drinker). She handed me a cup, black. Surprise! By drinking it slowly, I was able to get the whole cup down. I couldn't even drink plain water!

Old 05-31-2015, 07:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
So many teas,so little time.I love trying new tea flavors
Teas A-Z: shop our wide selection of high-quality loose-leaf teas from classic Earl Grey to exotic Yerba Mate.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Like a lot of people I went to tea when I gave up coffee. Now, several years later, I drink one cup of tea in the morning just to have something hot, and that's it. Don't even finish it most of the time. I'm not a big fan of tea in general. Not enough flavor to be interesting.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Tea doesn't sit right in my stomach, and also makes me thirsty. Certain teas I do like, once in a blue moon:

1. Whatever is the "standard" tea they serve you at Chinese restaurants. Yes I know it's Chinese tea :O but I have no idea which variety. When I'm dining in at a Chinese restaurant, I always have one of their little teacups with tea, black, 1 sugar.

2. Earl Grey. In a normal sized teacup, black, 1 or 2 sugars depending on my mood.

3. Cardomom tea. This is actually normal orange pekoe, with a tiny pinch of powdered cardamom mixed into it. Black, no sugar. It's the only hot beverage I will drink unsweetened.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:39 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Tea is a diuretic naturally, and will do this to you. Also check out how much caffiene is in the tea you drink; black teas often have more caffiene that coffee does. Not good for sleep!

To the OP: I once ate something that had gone bad, and got violently ill from it. This was some 20 years ago. I literally could not hold a thing on my stomach. For two days I ate and drank nothing. On the third day, my wife was brewing some black tea (she's a heavy tea drinker). She handed me a cup, black. Surprise! By drinking it slowly, I was able to get the whole cup down. I couldn't even drink plain water!
My mom was a big believer in hot plain tea and dry toast for tummy upsets.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:56 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
I like dandelion tea for liver cleansing.

I love my Osmanthus Oolong tea, oolong, jasmine, white, and green tea.. all cold brewed. Just stick in refrig with tea bag or loose tea, and you get 10 folds the amount of antioxidents.

Rooibos is delish too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink