Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:11 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times

Advertisements

We are getting married and the venue has a restaurant/catering service we need to use. We like the food a lot, but they won't allow us to take any leftovers... They throw any leftovers away (or maybe give it to their employees)..... Such a waste and very unethical. We are paying for it, why can't we keep what is left. (The catering is buffet style) I've been trying to fight it, but they have been very firm in no exceptions to this policy and I just can't understand why....

Is this something common with catering companies? Why would they just throw the food away instead of letting the people who bought it keep it? Any effective ways I can convince them to let us keep the food. The price we are paying for person is already quite high, so it sucks we can't keep any food that is leftover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 08:28 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
We are getting married and the venue has a restaurant/catering service we need to use. We like the food a lot, but they won't allow us to take any leftovers... They throw any leftovers away (or maybe give it to their employees)..... Such a waste and very unethical. We are paying for it, why can't we keep what is left. (The catering is buffet style) I've been trying to fight it, but they have been very firm in no exceptions to this policy and I just can't understand why....

Is this something common with catering companies? Why would they just throw the food away instead of letting the people who bought it keep it? Any effective ways I can convince them to let us keep the food. The price we are paying for person is already quite high, so it sucks we can't keep any food that is leftover.
We were told that it was because the food had already been left out for so long that unless it was immediately refrigerated it could go bad. Our catering place said that if the meal ends at 7 PM and the party ends at midnight that means that the food is sitting around for at least another five hours with bacteria growing on it. They also said that some people just took the food to their car or hotel room and ate it later many hours later, got sick and then complained to them or even sued them.

Some companies will take left over food immediately after cleanup to a homeless shelter or similar place (if it will be eaten right away) and yes, some do allow employees to take it home. One place that I know will take left over appetizers to the bar area and the bar patrons will eat them right away.

In some cases, you pay by the number of plates used (number of people served) so that means that any leftovers do not belong to you because you did not pay for them.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:30 AM

61,639 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Liability. They are protecting themselves if the food is compromised after it leaves the premises, and someone gets sick, and tries to sue. Buffets and food stations can only be left out for a certain time limit so the food doesn’t enter the danger zone with temperatures. It's pretty much a standard practice to ensure quality food service.
You might be able to negotiate with the catering company to take desserts home. Cake, cookies, fruits and such should be safe to be consumed later on.
However, I would think once you’ve paid for the food, it’s legally yours and you have every right to take it. So, maybe they will allow it after you sign a form protecting the company legally.

Last edited by elnina; 06-11-2015 at 08:39 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 09:54 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Yep as others said, liability. While under their "control" they know the food is safe. Once it leaves, it's all bets off. It's very damaging if not fatal to their livelihood if they have an investigation for food borne illnesses from the health department.

If it bothers you that much, have a sit down service instead of buffet style.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

It might sound strange to you and it does to me, but to call in unethical is a little over the top. I think as others have said liablility is part of the reason, the other has to do with the buffet aspect: actually it is the same: buffet food is kept out longer and in heated deep dishes that do not really keep food all that hot or fresh or all that cold. If it BTW, the price you are paying has little to do with this. It could be $5 a person and the policy would still stick. What makes you think there will be a lot of left over food anyway? Normally a catering company and restaurants has a good idea, based on the number of people you are paying for how much to fix and they do not over fix.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It might sound strange to you and it does to me, but to call in unethical is a little over the top. I think as others have said liablility is part of the reason, the other has to do with the buffet aspect: actually it is the same: buffet food is kept out longer and in heated deep dishes that do not really keep food all that hot or fresh or all that cold. If it BTW, the price you are paying has little to do with this. It could be $5 a person and the policy would still stick. What makes you think there will be a lot of left over food anyway? Normally a catering company and restaurants has a good idea, based on the number of people you are paying for how much to fix and they do not over fix.
Well, usually they try to only make enough based on how many people you said will be coming, but it's buffet style so they have to keep the food supplied unlimited during the time of service. There will almost inevitably be some food leftover. They will throw it away. Throwing away any food that is perfectly fine is very wasteful and unethical to me personally. Plus, the night after our wedding, we would both love not to cook the next day.

I figured the liability thing would come into play. I wonder if we can ask to sign a liability waiver or something in order to keep the food.

We are also considering switching to the sit down/served option because we really would hate to see the food go to waste. We wanted the buffet so everyone can try whatever they like and go back for more if they were still hungry.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:34 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Well, usually they try to only make enough based on how many people you said will be coming, but it's buffet style so they have to keep the food supplied unlimited during the time of service. There will almost inevitably be some food leftover. They will throw it away. Throwing away any food that is perfectly fine is very wasteful and unethical to me personally. Plus, the night after our wedding, we would both love not to cook the next day.

I figured the liability thing would come into play. I wonder if we can ask to sign a liability waiver or something in order to keep the food.

We are also considering switching to the sit down/served option because we really would hate to see the food go to waste. We wanted the buffet so everyone can try whatever they like and go back for more if they were still hungry.
Does it state specifically that the servings on the buffet is unlimited?

Old 06-11-2015, 10:42 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:

I would think twice before hiring them. Why are they so adamant on taking the leftovers unless they're planning to reuse it for another event? Which means, how much of the food at your wedding would actually be leftovers prodded and poked at by strangers from a past event?

Old 06-11-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Does it state specifically that the servings on the buffet is unlimited?
No, not specifically in writing. But we have hounded our sales consultants about this and they assured us that the buffet keeps the food supplied. The only limit is the time. The food is available unlimited for one hour. If something runs out, they said they will absolutely replace it with more fresh food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I would think twice before hiring them. Why are they so adamant on taking the leftovers unless they're planning to reuse it for another event? Which means, how much of the food at your wedding would actually be leftovers prodded and poked at by strangers from a past event?
They said they throw it out. The liability thing people mentioned makes sense, but I'm still in negotiations with them about the food options/style.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:45 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Liability and the fact they provide an estimated amount needed for an estimated about to serve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink