Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 02:28 PM

172 posts, read 177,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
interesting about your price in Germany. We have a totally different situation here. I didn't price them at Aldi's yesterday because we got a dozen at the farmers market: free range for $2.50. I already had about a dozen and 1/2 in the fridge. Of course the ones we get at Aldi's are not free range or cage free.
I have read about the outbreak of the avian flue in the U.S. and the rising egg prices. The wholesale prices for eggs in the European Union are also on the rise, because they export more dried eggs to the U.S. at the moment. But they wrote that the egg prices at grocery stores will be stable for the whole year. Negotiations between the egg producers and the retail industry about the prices take place only once a year. Negotiations for dairy products (with the exception for butter) take place twice a year. So the prices for dairy products at grocery stores change only twice a year. Most food prices in Germany are very stable over a long period. The food prices for the most common products are almost everywhere the same. The prices are very reasonable. But it's difficult to make a real bargain by switching the store. But produce is often cheaper at Aldi or Lidl. But the traditional grocery stores have always weekly sales for meat from the service counter, then they undercut clearly the Aldi and Lidl prices Couponing doesn't exist and there are also no BOGOF. It's seems completely different compared to the U.S.

Aldi is always the first retailer that change their prices, all other major grocery stores adjust their prices within 3 days. It's impossible for the traditional grocery stores to sell 10 ordinary free cage eggs for €1.09, because most Germans would walk to the next discount store, just to save the 10 cents.

Traditional grocery stores normally offer eggs from a local farm. I guess the price per egg is about €0.25 or €0.30. But I am not sure, because I don't buy those eggs. About 10 years ago, when I lived in a more rural small town, I often walked with the dog sunday morning to a nearby small farm, where I took a few eggs. For the payment I had to put the exact amount of money into a honesty box. There was no salesperson.

I don't know what the eggs cost at farmers market. I guess also €0.25 or €0.30 per egg. I normally don't go to farmer markets. They are very common in Germany, but mostly only elderly people use them, mostly because for a social gathering. Farmers market over here seem more like a relict from the time when people don't have a phone to get in contact with other people. It was the place where people get the latest local news and rumors.

10 organic free range eggs at grocery stores cost €2.29. But I don't buy those. The cage system housings were banned in 2009 in Germany.

A further difference is, that eggs are not refrigerated in German grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 03:03 PM

65 posts, read 81,212 times
Riverside Ca Ralphs/Krogers $3.99 doz

Old 06-28-2015, 03:32 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
I just joined the "Eggs Are To Damn High" Politcal Party.

#DontFearTheRooster.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:53 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
$2.99 at Sprouts.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:28 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
I buy them here from one of the local farms...free range at $2.00 a dozen.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:33 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I think I posted here previously, but since I was shopping today I know the price of 18 Eggland's Best eggs has gone up $1.50 this month. I paid $5 for 18 today at Sam's Club. I was STUNNED. At the beginning of the month I paid $3.59 for the same eggs.

I'm going to have to take a drive down a couple of roads I know that often have signs about eggs for sale.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:35 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I just looked on the online ordering website, and it looks like the cage free eggs that I normally get for $2.99 are still $2.99.
Saw this thread was still active, and I knew that I posted more than a couple weeks ago, so I was curious if there was any change. Just checked, and they're still $2.99.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:39 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
$2.39/doz med, at Kroger but we had a coopun for a free dozen.

Eggs have gone up about 25%/doz in the last few months, in my area.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
$2.39/doz med, at Kroger but we had a coopun for a free dozen.

Eggs have gone up about 25%/doz in the last few months, in my area.
Medium eggs? I don't think I've ever seen medium eggs in the supermarket. The eggs I get from my farmer friend are usually a mix of large, extra large, and a couple of oblong jumbos, and once in awhile I open the box and find a medium blue from one of her Araucana or Ameraucana hens (I don't remember which ones she has but they're healthy and kind of pretty, for poultry).

Old 07-01-2015, 06:11 PM

922 posts, read 1,111,898 times
Prices range from $2.50 (that's a super sale, stock up!) to $8 a dozen for the "fancy" eggs here in So Cal. My husband used to do work at chicken farms on their cooling equipment and told me that the "free range" chickens were the ones who got an extra few inches of space, so I don't buy the fancy eggs unless I can get a good price on them.

We're moving to TX in about a month so hopefully eggs will be cheaper there! I would love to buy them off a farmer where the chickens just roam about; our neighbors here kept chickens for a few months and the eggs were so much better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink