Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:05 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,191,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I was getting whatever was on sale cheap up until around a year ago when I met a woman who has a farm and sells eggs from her free-range hens. They have a coop they "live" in at night (there are predator animals in the area so not a good idea to let them roam free 24/7), and a fenced-in grazing area. I discovered the yolks were this amazing deep reddish-yellow color, and realized I hadn't ever seen eggs like this before. They cooked up much tastier than the cheap white eggs.

So now at the supermarket I pay a premium for cage-free eggs, and when I see my friend at the local farmer's market, I get a dozen or two from her instead. Hers are expensive - $8/dozen. But these eggs really are spectacular. Different colors too because they come from a variety of hens. She also has duck eggs but they're too big for my needs.

At the supermarket I pay around $4 for a dozen of Nancy's Cage-Free.

It's worth it to me because they just plain taste better when I make omelets.

This is what a true free range egg is like. I really miss my flock since I moved. Mine were true free range on many acres running loose. My yolks were dark orange and packed full of nutrients.

The natural diet of a hen includes lots of live insects for protein. "Cage free" and "free range" eggs in the grocery are mostly a rip-off, and eggs listed as "vegetarian" are even worse, this totally goes against the natural and species appropriate diet of a laying hen. They are mostly fed grain based gmo feed. A hen called "free range" under labelling laws usually only has a small period outside in a pen where there are no bugs, weeds, and grasses to eat. It's comparable to shoving them out the door a few minutes on a bare dirt floor in order to slap on a fancier label and increase the price 2.00 per carton - same unhealthy eggs.

Chickens are by nature nasty at times and maintain a pecking order. Weaker submissive chickens will get bullied and pecked to death by stronger birds when left to their own devices. This is going to go on at "cage free" and "free range" facilities. They even go after each other when left to roam 100% free on a farm.

Egg labels and increased pricing on factory farmed eggs are very deceptive. I only pay more for an egg if I know it's eating a true free range diet on an actual family farm. I'm in the city now, but I do plan on setting up 2 laying hens in the next year or so. There is nothing better, and 1 hen will normally yield 1 egg per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 04:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
$1.69 a dozen at Aldi, up 40 cents from a few weeks ago.
They were up to $2.50 at our ALDI yesterday, along with a large sign of apology noting how much their wholesale cost had gone up.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
I grew up with free range eggs on our family farm. Fresh (just gathered that day) eggs are richer, have darker yolks, taste better, etc. Will I pay grocery store markup for them? HELL, no.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,192,543 times
Ditto. I miss having fresh eggs from my chickens. Eggland's Best are a pretty close second, but nothing beats freshly eggs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I grew up with free range eggs on our family farm. Fresh (just gathered that day) eggs are richer, have darker yolks, taste better, etc. Will I pay grocery store markup for them? HELL, no.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:47 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,446,772 times
Last I remember, high point was $3.99 for a dozen.

On sale most recently was $2.89

Old 06-14-2015, 06:11 PM

50,068 posts, read 63,428,947 times
If I had my druthers, I'd buy Sam's Club 18 cage free brown eggs for about $3.50. I haven't been there since the egg shortage, so I don't know if the price has gone up. I want cage free, and I want them to be brown, just because our eggs were always brown when I was a kid, so I think they're better.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,659,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
This is what a true free range egg is like. I really miss my flock since I moved. Mine were true free range on many acres running loose. My yolks were dark orange and packed full of nutrients.

The natural diet of a hen includes lots of live insects for protein. "Cage free" and "free range" eggs in the grocery are mostly a rip-off, and eggs listed as "vegetarian" are even worse, this totally goes against the natural and species appropriate diet of a laying hen. They are mostly fed grain based gmo feed. A hen called "free range" under labelling laws usually only has a small period outside in a pen where there are no bugs, weeds, and grasses to eat. It's comparable to shoving them out the door a few minutes on a bare dirt floor in order to slap on a fancier label and increase the price 2.00 per carton - same unhealthy eggs.

Chickens are by nature nasty at times and maintain a pecking order. Weaker submissive chickens will get bullied and pecked to death by stronger birds when left to their own devices. This is going to go on at "cage free" and "free range" facilities. They even go after each other when left to roam 100% free on a farm.

Egg labels and increased pricing on factory farmed eggs are very deceptive. I only pay more for an egg if I know it's eating a true free range diet on an actual family farm. I'm in the city now, but I do plan on setting up 2 laying hens in the next year or so. There is nothing better, and 1 hen will normally yield 1 egg per day.
I'm learning this about eggs. My friend's eggs don't come with labels on the cartons. They're just generic cartons, with nothing written on them at all. You never know what she'll give you til you open the carton, and they ALL have to be rinsed off before you crack them open. The last dozen she sold me had two blue eggs in it, and I'm pretty sure one of the bigger eggs was actually a small duck egg she'd put in there by mistake. They ranged from what you'd consider "medium" in a supermarket egg, to a super-jumbo-plus that barely fit in its niche in the carton.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:46 PM

484 posts, read 1,940,314 times
At Trader Joe's, which has the cheapest eggs in town, a dozen eggs were $2.99 last week. At Rite Aid, which is usually comparable, they were $3.79. I haven't looked at my local supermarket.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:07 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,212,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Is that a metric dozen?
A metric handful

Old 06-15-2015, 09:30 AM

2,322 posts, read 919,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Yeah 40 million is lots of chickens.

Washington (AFP) - US farmers have been forced to kill almost 40 million chickens and other birds, causing egg prices to soar as a deadly version of the avian flu attacks the poultry industry.

Read more: US egg prices soar as avian flu batters poultry industry - Business Insider
This might explain why yesterday I paid $3.69 for 18 Smith's Large Grade AA eggs, when for the past few months I was paying $2.79. I actually did a double take when I picked up the eggs and saw the price. I stood there thinking that maybe it was a misprint

Thanks for sharing the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink