Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 05:13 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

First, a bit of history. When I was a kid, on special occasions we gathered at a relative's house and one of the items that was always on the buffet was crab salad on snowflake rolls. Even my young, unsophisticated, palate LOVED the crab salad. This was in New England.
Fast forward to now, when I have lived in the Midwest and the South, and no matter where I live, I cannot get what the fuss is about with crab. I have never, since I was a child with the crab salad, ever had any type of crab that was at all good.
I make crab cakes once in awhile, using various recipes, but I can't taste the crab at all, so I am never making it again.
What do you think I am missing?
PS: I love lobster and clams and most other crustaceans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 05:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I like crab but have not had many crab cakes I like. They seem to be mostly cheap bread crumbs and little shreddy bits of crab. A restaurant called Scott's in Costa Mesa makes them with large chunks of crabmeat and a very good remoulade, but they are quite pricey. Usually they are disappointing, I agree.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:35 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I agree. It can be quite difficult to find a good crab cake. I rarely order them. The good ones are made with lump crab meat and have very little filler, binder.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:36 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
I love crab, but have never had a crab cake that I can eat more that a few bites of. This includes any kind of fish cake. I'd rather have a little pile of crab or whatever without the breadcrumbs.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:39 PM

37,614 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
First, a bit of history. When I was a kid, on special occasions we gathered at a relative's house and one of the items that was always on the buffet was crab salad on snowflake rolls. Even my young, unsophisticated, palate LOVED the crab salad. This was in New England.
Fast forward to now, when I have lived in the Midwest and the South, and no matter where I live, I cannot get what the fuss is about with crab. I have never, since I was a child with the crab salad, ever had any type of crab that was at all good.
I make crab cakes once in awhile, using various recipes, but I can't taste the crab at all, so I am never making it again.
What do you think I am missing?
PS: I love lobster and clams and most other crustaceans.
I can't stand any shellfish at all. I did try ONE crabcake at a very fancy restaurant, once, that I liked alright.. But not enough to get another one.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
You have to make them with the jumbo lump crab meat. And use very little binder--you have to gently fold in the crab, so it doesn't break up. I'm not a fan of Dungeness crab cakes, as I think the meat is too stringy & doesn't stay in large lumps very well.

I make fantastic crab cakes.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:04 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
While I do like crab cakes, I've had a lot more bad ones than good. I don't even order it anymore and just make it. I make mine with just cracker meal, lhere's the recipe I use. I sub out the mayo for homemade aioli.

Baltimore-Style Crab Cakes Recipe -Andrew Zimmern | Food & Wine

Old 06-12-2015, 07:17 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I make my own using jumbo lump crab meat, usually from Costco. Our local farmer's market also carries it at sometimes at a better price. The key is not to use very much filler. We are lucky that we also have a local place called Henretty's that makes their own, which are delicious. Most places put too much filler to save money and the filler really hides the taste of crab. Interestingly, I don't like anything else with crab--just my homemade crab cakes.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:52 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
What kind of crab are you using? Great crab is sweet, buttery and tender. Fresh lumps of buttery claw meat... YUM!!! Great crab cakes are almost entirely crab (the good, fresh, lump crab meat), so there's really no way to not taste the crab if they're made properly. Maybe some new recipes and new crab sources (get some from your New England roots!) are in order! If you are using the yucky stuff out of the can (like canned tuna vs. seared ahi...) or something similar (jarred in liquid or sitting in a grocery case for days...), yes, bleck, forget about it. I'm spoiled and grew up eating fresh-caught Dungeness in the Pacific Northwest, so maybe take a trip to, say, Cutters in Seattle to order crab cakes before you judge for certain. I'm a seafood lover though, so that helps.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:09 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Fresh out of the shell Dungeness only for me. I dont even make them anymore as once I start cracking and lumping the cooked crab it gets devoured.

Brought home 10 fresh caught dungeness this season. Didnt make it till next morning because of the raiding hoards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink