Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 09:11 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

In the Lee Falk's The Phantom book, "The Mystery of the Sea Horse", the femme fatale Laura is in her kitchen cooking in the wee hours when she is called into action.

For many years, the image of blue jeans sprinkled with flour has inspired me to cook, to be creative. But tonight, I got a better insight.

I was commenting earlier in another post of how I was feeling "lost", waking up at 4 in the afternoon, my work shift 8 hours off, and not really sure what to do. Part of the thing of being on the night schedule is that in the evening, when people are winding down, you are winding up......so being among day people is not easy.

So I went down to my much better kitchen and started putting away the day's groceries, putting my flour, tortilla mix, and corn meal into counter jars so I could see how much I had, so I didn't get caught into the sea of flour I experienced when I moved during "Operation: WHIRLWIND". Trying to find a jar to put the last remaining amount of corn meal, I glanced at the recipe for muffins (and I can smell them now as they cook) and decided "why not?".

And with that, I understand Laura better. When you are isolated from the world, it works to find something to occupy your attention, perhaps something solitary, perhaps something in reality.

NOW, if I can just get that repair crew to visit me in my new place to find out why my smoke alarms go off when I am sometimes, not always, but sometimes cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 02:53 PM

On the flip side of things, I just learned to use corn bread mini muffins like croutons.

Mind you, it's not quite a new thing. Way back in grade school, perhaps way, WAY back, I would crush the square of cafeteria corn bread to soak up the gravy on the tray. At the time, it seemed the only thing it was good for.......since it was impossible to keep it together for anything else.

I know in other posts that I have said my pantry is like a fleet submarine going out on patrol, stuffed to the gills (all puns intended) and that I don't need to buy food for a year, but in the twilight hours before this shopping trip, I was reading rerun https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Better_or_For_Worse . I came across a section where Elly was cleaning out the pantry of vegetables past their time.....and observes that with such things, her mother would have made a casserole. Hence the need to add a bag of flour to my current kitchen....and from there, a bag of tortilla mix, a bag of corn meal..........half a dozen open range eggs.

Now, if I can find my cook books, shuffled in the move.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:10 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
im not sure if you love to cook,,,or your state just legalized pot and you made some brownies

Old 06-17-2015, 08:03 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
im not sure if you love to cook,,,or your state just legalized pot and you made some brownies
WowMan, in my best Tommy Chong voice.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:06 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
For the second time tonight...!

Old 06-17-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Hmmmmmm, I think if it had been the latter, the post would have been more like this:
http://www.weeklystorybook.com/.a/6a...79cff91970c-pi

So, it's the former and as someone who likes to cook, it is probably that part of the story, any story, that draws my focus the most.

Funny you should mention brownies, however, for I came home with baker's chocolate, brown sugar, and various kinds of chips such as English Toffee, (the rest of the ingredients I have) and a baking pan as well. I'm going to make myself a pan cookie, my version of brownies...........................

............................it's just as I was checking out did I remember that my Tollhouse cookbook is buried somewhere in the packed boxes. SIGH!......will just have to look up the recipe on the Net for the time being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink