Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 05:13 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times

Advertisements

I love watermelons!! They keep you on the skinny train too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:16 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,138,191 times
Watermelon means summer! I usually buy the pre-cut chunks at Kroger just for convenience. And I eat it with salt on it.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:51 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
English pancakes are served on Shrove Tuesday. They're like crepes, sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice, and rolled up.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:02 PM

175 posts, read 261,064 times
I love the watermelon soup that Royal Caribbean cruise lines serve. Ive been trying to find a recipe but can't find one quite like theirs. Pure goodness.
I wish I could grow them in my garden, but I hear they are fussy.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:05 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
English pancakes are served on Shrove Tuesday. They're like crepes, sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice, and rolled up.
LOL - wait a minute, I thought I was in the pancake thread - just ignore me.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I love Watermelons but they don't love me because of my Diabetes,
Work it into your daily consumption or walk a few miles then have the watermelon.

Original poster: I never use any artificial sweetner and especially on fruit.

IF you want fruit to be sweeter a wee bit of salt will bring out the sweetness of the fruit but just a wee bit.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:54 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolts' Probie View Post
I love the watermelon soup that Royal Caribbean cruise lines serve. Ive been trying to find a recipe but can't find one quite like theirs. Pure goodness.
I wish I could grow them in my garden, but I hear they are fussy.
I did post this earlier in the thread and some missed it. It is a Gazpacho made from watermelon. A Gazpacho is a cold soup and it is delicious. I just made some this past weekend and have one bowl a day.
This cold soup is typically made with tomato but this version is even better. The red wine vinegar balances the sweetness of it.

Watermelon Gazpacho Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com

Old 06-24-2015, 08:33 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,125 times
Saccharin? I remember this sweetener when I was a kid. The FDA (USA) issued warnings about it. This was back in the 70s.

I guess in some countries it is still used.

In my opinion (everyone has one, right?) if your watermelon needs a sweetener, you need to find a ripe melon...

Old 11-23-2015, 11:46 AM

5,152 posts, read 1,415,156 times
Default Nine Ways to Tell if Your Watermelon Is Ripe

From the Old Farmer's Almanac:

NORTH, SOUTH, East, or West, wherever you grow your watermelon, this summer you'll face the daunting task of determining its ripeness. We've heard all sorts of advice, including the fact that a ripe melon, when thumped, will feel more like a human head than a human chest. Dr. Bill Rhodes, professor of horticulture at Clemson University, offers the following but warns that for the past 20 years, he's been hoping for better insight.

1. Thump it. If the watermelon sounds hollow, it's ripe. This is difficult for less-gifted ears.

2. Look at the color on the top. The watermelon is ripe when there is little contrast between the stripes.

3. Look at the color on the bottom. A green watermelon will have a white bottom; a ripe melon will have a cream- or yellow-colored bottom.

4. Press on it. If the watermelon sounds like it gives a little, it's ripe. (Rhodes doesn't like this method because it can ruin the quality of the fruit.)

5. Check the tendril. If it's half-dead, it could mean that the watermelon is nearly ripe or ripe. If the tendril is fully dead, it could mean that anthracnose or some other fungus killed the melon, or that it's ripe or overripe. If the tendril is green, you should wait to pick the melon.

6. Count the number of days from anthesis (flowering) or the number of days from planting. This works pretty well if you know the variety of watermelon and how many days it's supposed to take for that variety to ripen under normal temperature and fertilizer regimes.

7. Check the size. It's not necessarily true that when a watermelon is big enough, it's ready; but under good conditions, it should be normal size. If it's not, you're probably too anxious.

8. Crack a few. You've got a whole field of watermelons, and you can practice a little, right?

9. Is the vine dead or dying? Well, the watermelon is not going to get any riper, so you might as well pick it.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:53 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
I use #4 and I do not like it give a little. It has to not give which means its still firm which means it will last a good while in the fridge. If it gives it's too ripe (for me). The melon will ripen over time even in the fridge so if it's already too ripe to begin with it will be mush real soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink