Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:06 PM

50,115 posts, read 63,506,690 times

Advertisements

Even though we are thick crust pizza lovers, we had the pizza on low carb, high fiber tortillas tonight and we were happy with the result.
I am fine with most diet food, but I also have to feed the hubby, who has some preconceived notions. As soon as he thinks it is diet food, he feels like he's missing something. When I can slip him some healthy, its a win, win situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 06:27 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,753,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Same here. Perfect texture and flavor, and just the right size for 1 hungry person.
Ooh that is a great idea too. I make garlic naan a lot. Have to set some aside for pizzas next time.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Even though we are thick crust pizza lovers, we had the pizza on low carb, high fiber tortillas tonight and we were happy with the result.
I am fine with most diet food, but I also have to feed the hubby, who has some preconceived notions. As soon as he thinks it is diet food, he feels like he's missing something. When I can slip him some healthy, its a win, win situation.
Yay, yay, YAY!!!!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:14 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,520,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I love pizza. Pizza and sushi are my favorite foods. Okay, and some Thai dishes. And ice cream sandwiches. (Shut up.)

The thing with pizza, though, is that it's so fatty and carby and I feel so guilty about it. But I can't help it -- I love pizza. So I found a healthier way to get my pizza fix, and I do this at least once per week. Okay, at least twice per week. (Shut up.)

And it's also less expensive.

And -- also ALSO! -- you make however much/many you want for that meal, which means that there's no leftover pizza sitting in your fridge that you SAY you're keeping for tomorrow but it never lasts beyond bedtime because, hey!, it's already made and RIGHT THERE!, calling your name.

Okay. I'm babbling. This is what I do/use/whatever:

* Tortilla(s) -- I found that Old El Paso flour, medium size, are the ones with the best consistency; not floppy and not prone to burn. I did research to discover this, so you can trust me.

* Sauce -- In a Tupperware, I mix a tin of plain tomato sauce (whatever brand is cheapest), a tin of tomato paste, and a tablespoon or so (I don't measure) of balsamic vinegar. Stir it all together and use it every time (!!) you make pizza, until it's all used up. Repeat.

* Cheese -- I use Kraft brand "Italiano" shredded cheese, which is a mix of Romano, Mozzarella, Provolone, Emmental. I buy the "light" one, which has 28% less fat. Most pizza places just use Mozzarella, which is so bland. This Italiano stuff is not, especially because of the Provolone. So good! And you don't have to use a lot -- a little goes a long way because it's so flavorful and melts beautifully.

* Toppings -- Do what you want, but I cut up anchovies and place the pieces so that every bite has anchovy goodness. I know, I know, YOU hate anchovies. Put whatever you want on your pizza, though. I won't judge you.

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Put tin foil on a baking sheet. Put your tortilla pizzas on the foil. Bake until the cheese is bubbling. Remove from oven. Eat.
Excellent! I am going to make this! I almost never eat pizza (I've eaten pizza once in the last several years) because it's so unhealthy and fattening. I blow up like a balloon from all the sodium and bad stuff in it.

But this looks pretty good and easy. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:01 PM

23,911 posts, read 32,232,721 times
Good.

But the main reason I eat pizza is because I don't feel like cooking. I find a non greasy thin crust pizza place that is run by an independent mom and pop pizza place - there is one everywhere.

"Cook" and "pizza" are rarely used in the same sentence in my house. It's usually "pizza" and "call" or "pick up" or "delivery".

Gluten in not an issue for my family or for me. But we have "Rise Pies" here in Ohio. They accommodate everyone. Meat eaters. Vegans. Gluten Intolerant. Vegetarians. And the indiscriminate but hungry.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:20 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,264,581 times
To me, the entire POINT of eating pizza is I don't have to make it myself, it's less expensive than dining in a restaurant, and it's more nutritious than other fast foods. If I had time to make pizza, I could make some other meal.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:55 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Good.

But the main reason I eat pizza is because I don't feel like cooking. I find a non greasy thin crust pizza place that is run by an independent mom and pop pizza place - there is one everywhere.

"Cook" and "pizza" are rarely used in the same sentence in my house. It's usually "pizza" and "call" or "pick up" or "delivery".

Gluten in not an issue for my family or for me. But we have "Rise Pies" here in Ohio. They accommodate everyone. Meat eaters. Vegans. Gluten Intolerant. Vegetarians. And the indiscriminate but hungry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
To me, the entire POINT of eating pizza is I don't have to make it myself, it's less expensive than dining in a restaurant, and it's more nutritious than other fast foods. If I had time to make pizza, I could make some other meal.
Okay. I get it. I see what you're saying. I'll come over to both of your houses and make it for you.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:42 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,386,133 times
I like the homemade pizza, have made it w/ boboli thin crust pizza shells, garlic naan bread, even english muffins (yrs ago made it w/ french bread and even on bagels, got away from both of those for some reason), it's pretty good, healthy and you can make it however you like. I dont fuss over it so I can make it pretty fast (as long as I have the basic ingredients, which I usually do, as I dont like too much on it), I even have a couple pizza pans w/ the holes in it (from when our kids lived home and I made it more often). While I wouldnt want it every nite, it's a pretty tasty, inexpensive yet fairly healthy meal (compared to other quick meals).

Old 06-23-2015, 05:53 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,664,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
This. Even if theres carbs and fat in it the fact that all i have to do is either open the box or bake it and take a bite is the selling point. I have a very limited number of food stuff and seasonings/ingredients in the house and any recipe usually requires me to go spend $50 or so on stuff im only going to use 1/8 tsp or so of. completely not worth it imo as i could use that money for gas or something. i dont need to have completely authentic super all natural best there is handmade pizza; a $10 tombstone, digiorno, pizza hut, whatever is good for me.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:47 AM

4,972 posts, read 5,233,885 times
I've been meaning to try pizza made on tortillas, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Purchased pizza crust is around $2 per crust. It really isn't much cheaper if I buy all pre-made ingredients. I've made pizza on miniature bagels as quick snacks. Lately, I've been experimenting with cracker thin crust recipes I've found on-line. I like the taste of jarred pizza sauce so I use it or basil pesto for the sauce. Anything goes for the toppings...bacon, pepperoni, colored bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, olives or anything else on hand. Still experimenting with the cheese. I'm finding less is more. I sprinkle on a little garlic powder for taste. Labor intensive at times, but worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink