Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:01 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,606,489 times

Advertisements

Fry 'em up, with or without batter. Dip in tartar sauce with a squeeze of lime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 04:18 AM

99,541 posts, read 4,490,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
My mother used to eat them in peanut butter sandwiches. Blech!
Very healthy combo I guess...but yuck!

Old 06-24-2015, 07:25 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
I put Worcestershire sauce on them and eat them with cheese and crackers. My wife thinks Im insane and calls it cat food. Probably because everytime I eat them the cats line up and have a staring contest with my hands.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:13 AM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I may be inspired by some of these!

13 Things to Do With Canned Sardines - Test Kitchen Notes - Food News

Some of these sound really tempting!
I'm going to try these. The last one could be a good snack to have in the fridge.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:56 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,283 times
There are a lot of different kinds of sardines out there. You should shop for ones you like first. I think the best way to taste test them is on a good slice of toasted bread with butter or cracker. There is no consensus but I I think Portuguese sardines are usually the best but since Sardines are not all made from the same fish you need to find what you like.

I believe Anthony Bordaine had an excellent show on Sardines where he visited a small shop where they had many varieties.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:01 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I'd be willing to eat them freshly caught. But when DH eats them at home I can't go anywhere near him for the fishy odor. And it does linger as others have mentioned. So it's not a bedtime snack in our house.

DH eats them with cocktail sauce.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:42 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I recently picked up a lot of canned sardines from the store and am looking for ideas on how to eat them.
They're supposed to be good for you but I find them too fishy to be eaten straight out of the can or with crackers. I did make a salad out of one the same way people make tuna salad and that tastes great on a sandwich. Any other idea is welcome.
Are they in a tomato sauce or oil?

You can make a Vietnamese sardine banh mi (one of my favorites):

Saute some shallots (or alternately, minced garlic and onions) until translucent to lightly browned. Add some finely minced tomatoes, a bit of tomato paste, a bit of sugar and continue sautéing until tomato cooked to a mush/sauce. Thin with water or broth as needed. Mix in some fish sauce (can be omitted if you think sardines are already too "fishy"), a few dashes of Maggi sauce and lots of freshly ground black pepper and/or minced hot chilies. Combine in canned sardine and simmer a few minutes.

Serve in crusty baguette with fresh cilantro, or over steamed rice, with pickled veggies.

ETA: You can substitute canned diced tomatoes and/or tomato sauce instead of fresh.

Last edited by mingna; 07-30-2015 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 01:19 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I particularly don't like it BUT hubby likes this recipe:

In sauce pan, saute thinly sliced onions till translucent. Then add a small can of tomato sauce, bring to a bubble. Salt/pepper to taste. Then add sardines. Serve it over rice.

You can season the sauce with creole spices or hot pepper or favorite herbs etc. Hubby liked the creole spices the best.
Yes this is best. Fry sardines with lots of thin sliced onions and tomato chilli sauce, lightly crush sardines into chunks. Then eat it over rice or in hotdog buns fillings with a slice of cheddar cheese

Old 07-31-2015, 10:48 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I just eat them on bread or toast with nonfat mayonnaise.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:17 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I just eat them straight out of the can, YUM.

Sardines from the waters of Alaska or Canada are the best sardines, IMHO.

Sardines from Poland, MEH....Sardines from China, YIKES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink