Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 09:16 AM

49,999 posts, read 63,313,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I totally agree: it is so nice to go into a parking lot and not see carts left everywhere. compare Aldi's to say, WalMart or even the local super market, as you mentioned. We do have one small local independently owned store where the box boys take the groceries to the car: I personally love the service. Again no carts left everywhere. There are cart return locations for those who prefer to wheel their own groceries, but rarely do you see a cart in one.
I have to say that our Publix has cart areas in the parking lot, and you very seldom see a stray cart, unless it is pouring rain. They are very prompt about collecting carts and taking them inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 12:55 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,140,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have to say that our Publix has cart areas in the parking lot, and you very seldom see a stray cart, unless it is pouring rain. They are very prompt about collecting carts and taking them inside.
to me it also shows classy people shop there. I have even been impressed with the parking lot near where our daughter lives in a small town outside of Orlando. She lives in Windermere.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:45 PM

17,455 posts, read 38,850,828 times
Well, as a huge ALDI fan, I welcome it's competition, Lidl! I always love having a new place to shop. I personally never go to places like Whole Foods or Fresh Market, they are way too overpriced. I am not that big a fan of Trader Joe's, either. They aren't really that cheap, and I have purchased WAY too much spoiled food there, even spoiled wine! I have never purchased ANYTHING bad/spoiled at ALDI or Publix (my main store.

Very interesting news about Lidl, if ALDI is any indication they will do well here. I live in a small metro area and ALDI just opened their second location.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,268,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, as a huge ALDI fan, I welcome it's competition, Lidl! I always love having a new place to shop. I personally never go to places like Whole Foods or Fresh Market, they are way too overpriced. I am not that big a fan of Trader Joe's, either. They aren't really that cheap, and I have purchased WAY too much spoiled food there, even spoiled wine!
I have gotten bread from TJ's too many times that grew mold within a day or two of purchase, well before the sell-by date. I also have opened sealed yogurt with green flecks of mold.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:16 PM

16,356 posts, read 30,063,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have gotten bread from TJ's too many times that grew mold within a day or two of purchase, well before the sell-by date. I also have opened sealed yogurt with green flecks of mold.
In you local supermarkets in Chicagoland, the bread travels 20-50 miles at the most. At Trader Joe's, MOST of the bread is shipped in from the Boston area. The time of transit for all of their fresh products is far too long to do what they are doing.

Personally, if they were interested in having Midwestern stores, they should have opened a warehouse in the Chicago area to service the entire region. They could source a lot of their product locally and not deal with the logistics issues that they have.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
wow: I have been shopping at both TJs and Aldis for years and have never gotten a thing that was spoiled. When anyone we know is going near TJs I have them bring us 2 loaves of wheat sour dough bread, even though it has almost no preservatives it lasts for a week of so. The second loaf I keep in the freezer until we are ready to eat it. Are they cheap? Well I think it depends on what you purchase. The bread I am talking about is less than $3 a loaf and I don't know anywhere I can get quality bread for the price, but some things are more expensive. I just happen to have my favorite items.

This is the reason we have so many choices: what works for one person doesn't for someone else. This is why I will continue to pray TJs opens up here, we have so many transplants and people are begging for one.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In you local supermarkets in Chicagoland, the bread travels 20-50 miles at the most. At Trader Joe's, MOST of the bread is shipped in from the Boston area. The time of transit for all of their fresh products is far too long to do what they are doing.

Personally, if they were interested in having Midwestern stores, they should have opened a warehouse in the Chicago area to service the entire region. They could source a lot of their product locally and not deal with the logistics issues that they have.
My impression was, they do have warehouses within a certain number of miles from all stores. I know that is what kept them out of Texas for so long; then they moved in and yes, have a warehouse. maybe I was wrong?.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:08 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,106,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I agree with you completely.

One question about Aldi in Germany. Are they still offering the hot "in the store" baked bread or was that eventually shut down by the German bakery union?

There was a long dispute between Aldi-Süd and the German bakery trade union. They have settled down the dispute last year. The baked good vending machines are still in operation. But Aldi-Süd has announced that they will replace the vending machines with an other concept. Probably similar to the one at Lidl or like the ones at Aldi (Hofer) in Austria.

The installation of those baked good vending machines were probably the biggest misinvestment of Aldi-Süd. It was a more hygienic concept but the selection is rather limited (up to 15 different products). And customers normally want to choose which speciifc croissant or roll they want to buy (e.g. the brighter or the darker one).

Lidl has expanded their stores a little bit to install a larger and more appealing baked good section. It's surely the main reason why Lidl has stronger growth rates in the last couple of years compared to Aldi.

Baked good vening machines at Aldi-Süd in Germany:

Baked good section at Hofer (Aldi) in Austria:

Old 06-19-2016, 07:19 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,106,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have never been to Germany, but I have heard that store workers in Germany have a very contemptuous, "take it or leave it" attitude toward customers. If a store worker treated me that way I would not shop there.

We have a different mindset here. My favorite store, before I moved, had a conveyor system in which the groceries were sent outside and the customer drove up and they were loaded into their car. So nice, and I have never seen this system anywhere else.

Here, I go to a store where the workers are very friendly and helpful, and always offer to push the cart to my car and load the groceries. Sometimes I say yes, and sometimes I don't, but I appreciate the offer. I will pay more for this kind of ambiance.

There are stores which are very popular, in which the lazy cashiers expect me to put my own bags into my cart, and of course there is no help outside the store. I do not go to these stores very often.

Germany, especially compared to the U.S., is often considered a "Service-Wüste" (service desert)

It's a very different mindset. It's very unlikely that a store worker in Germany would say "hello" (with the exception of the cashier) or ask "can I help you". Most Germans would consider this annoying. We also don't have this small talk thing. For most of us it would be very awkward if a store employee would accompany us to the car. What should I talk with him?
A store worker in Germany operating with a lifting cart would just shout "Watch out!" and it's expected that the customers step aside. And it would be strange if the store worker would say "thank you" to you for stepping aside. And if a customer delay such operations other customers would consider this customer as reckless

Germans are rather thrifty and most people, no matter how rich, wouldn't like to pay for services that seem to be redundant. That's probably the reason why discount stores are so popular over here.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,268,292 times
I'm not German-born, and I find "May I help you," when I haven't approached someone for assistance to be annoying. "Hello," is always appropriate, however. I find greetings to be basic etiquette, not small talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink