Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 11:31 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times

Advertisements

Support your LOCAL grocers! Not the mega-corporations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 12:50 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Lidl isn't associated with Aldi's or Trader Joe's. It is a competitor of Aldis as it is also a German discount grocery store with a similar concept. But two different companies.
I guess you didn't read my entire post. I mentioned I realize they are not part of the same family. You might want to go back and read what I said.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I can't find the link now of course but Lidl bought warehouse space here in my city. I did find this article though:

RetailWire Discussion: Lidl follows Aldi to the U.S.

I found another article titled: Is Lisl an Aldi killer? Yikes, they take the competition between those two seriously!
Thanks, I wonder how long it will take them to come to NWA? I love stores that compete with each other. BTW, we just got back from shopping at Aldi's. Wow, did we get some good deals.

NATSQU: I can not comment on Lidi's as I have never been to one, but just because you were not impressed with Aldi's on a few occassions and in UK, doesn't mean those in the USA are not outstanding? Even here, our small one, which is soon to be remodeled we are told, needs a face lift and enlarging. There is a new one, about 20 miles away that, from reports, is absolutely wonderful. I have seen a couple of Trader Joe's that totally disappointed me, but most are nice, well organized and very friendly.

Last edited by nmnita; 06-27-2015 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-27-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianD View Post
Trader Joe's was bought by Aldi-Nord in 1979.

Aldi was founded by two brothers. In 1961 they devided the company into Aldi-Nord and Aldi-Süd.

Aldi-Nord operates in:
Northern and Eastern Germany
The Netherlands
Belgium
Luxembourg
France
Spain
Portugal
Poland
Denmark
And as Trader Joe's in the U.S.

Aldi-Süd operates in:
Western and Southern Germany
Austria (under the name Hofer)
Slovenia (under the name Hofer)
UK
Ireland
Hungary
Australia
Switzerland
USA (as Aldi)

Both brothers died a few years ago. Both companies are owned by family foundations.

Aldi-Süd is much more successful than Aldi-Nord. Therefore it's astonishing that Trader Joe's is doing well.

Lidl is part of the Schwarz-Gruppe. It was founded by Dieter Schwarz. The Group is also owned by a family foundation. The Schwarz-Gruppe is meanwhile the largest food retailer in Europe. Beside about 10,000 Lidl stores, the group also operates about 1,300 Kaufland stores (compact hypermarkets).

Lidl operates in 26 European countries and is particularly successful in markets where Aldi-Süd don't operate. Lidl is far better than Aldi-Nord but is still somewhat behind Aldi-Süd, but seems to be catching up in recent years.
Thanks, I wasn't aware the brother who owned Aldi's had also died. I did know the history or the stores and the buy out of the original Trader Joe's.

I have a feeling and have for years, we are about to see the end of the large, national super market chains. I think we are going to see more Aldi,Lidi and Trader Joes as well as Whole Food types of stores and more specialty stores. It is like the enclosed shopping malls. In many places they are becoming the thing of the past. I guess progress and attitudes reflect our habits more than we realize.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Who/where are these local grocers?

Old 06-27-2015, 01:22 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Who/where are these local grocers?
We have Harris Teeter that used to be local but now bought out by Krogers or whatever it's called...so that's not local anymore.

Do such a thing even exist? I always try to shop locally when I can. It's one of the main reasons why I shop at Asian markets as they get their meats and produce from local farmers. I also like shopping at Aldi's because of it's small footprint and minimal fuss/staff etc. I don't want to be accosted by a million employees by the time I am done.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:35 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Local grocers? It's a quaint idea, but the reality is in many markets locally owned supermarkets don't exist. Or they seem local or regional, but are owned by Albertson's or Ahold or A&P or Kroger.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:38 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Quote:
I try, but the local grocery store here literally charges 50% more for EVERYTHING, and the meat and produce always look horrible. I go there for pantry staples sometimes (even though the expiration dates are always almost out of date!) because I like to support local businesses but cannot bring myself to purchase their horrible-looking meat or produce. Yuck.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:04 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I try, but the local grocery store here literally charges 50% more for EVERYTHING, and the meat and produce always look horrible. I go there for pantry staples sometimes (even though the expiration dates are always almost out of date!) because I like to support local businesses but cannot bring myself to purchase their horrible-looking meat or produce. Yuck.
I don't think I ever seen one recently, what is the name of this store?

Old 06-27-2015, 02:37 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I don't think I ever seen one recently, what is the name of this store?
It's called Joyner's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink