Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 04:15 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,441,759 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a longer visit to my home-country (which is somewhere in South-Eastern Europe) and I am downright frustrated with the quality of basic ingredients that I can buy here as opposed to what is available at home.

There is no comparison under the sun between one basic tomato there and one here. Or any other vegetable. Cabbage, celery, carrots. You name it. I am not even going to get to the meats part.

Those are not only very fragrant compared to what I can find but one other thing I noticed is that when you cut them they leave in their juices right away. For example, my mom makes a basic cabbage salad which involves cutting a small cabbage head in very thin slices, adding some salt, pepper, olive oil and fresh lemon juice and mixing.
The raw cabbage starts leaving its juices in almost immediately and the result is phenomenal. I could stuff myself with that salad without one single "healthy eating" intention. It is just darn good and the goodness clearly comes from the ingredient itself (the cabbage) and not any kind of amazing recipe or cooking technique. Most such veggies come from the local farmers' markets and the farmers are all small producers and not giant agro-businesses. .

If I repeat the same thing here, I get cardboard. Period. The cabbage or any other vegetable I work with doesn't leave its juices in. My mom makes very simple recipes and generally uses very little salt and sugar - and few herbs...yet the results are fantastic. Same applies to food at restaurants and in other people's houses; so it's not my mom - it's clearly the darn local ingredients.

It is pretty clear by now that in the US the vast majority of vegetables (including the touted "organics" and all sorts of high-qual "Whole Foods" produce) are engineered to stay hard and NOT leave any of their natural juices in. This is most probably done for transportation and shelf-life reasons and I often wonder at what price to our health. There is no way these clearly un-natural, tempered-with vegetables ensure the same level of health as those I ate at home.
I always cook from scratch and we eat lots of fruits and veggies in general (including raw) - but all in all, I am afraid we eat much less healthy than we think we do, because of these cardboard "veggie" jokes.

[Now, before you kindly advise me to "move back home if I don't like it here", I will add the disclaimer that this is not possible because this is where my job is. So it would be nice if we didn't go this route. ]

Instead, would anyone be able to suggest a place where I can ROUTINELY buy better vegetables - the kind that leave their juices in and act like the perishable products they are supposed to be, instead of bricks to last through all eternity?

Unfortunately, I do not have any local farmers' market handy and the idea of driving forever just to get some basic, day-to-day ingredients is not a viable one for me. Let alone that I was never terribly impressed even with the products I bought at certain farmers' markets in the past, when I had the chance.

I live in a suburb of Atlanta considered "nice" and the stores I have closest to me are Kroger and Publix. WF and Trader Joe's are about 15 minutes drive which is not always handy for me - but still doable often enough.

In the summer, there is a guy who supposedly sells some local vegetables somewhere on the side of the road - but I cannot rely on that because he closes early, has few choices, and he is only available a small part of the year.

What would you suggest as a solution?
Try to buy mainly from WF? And if yes, will I truly be able to tell a difference in the quality of the meals simply by paying to WF what they are (largely shamelessly) asking? The few products I buy there occasionally (such as celery root) didn't strike me as the kind of veggies I am looking for either. They are hard too.
I am talking about basics for cooking such as onions, peppers, carrots, celery, tomatoes, cabbage, brussel sprouts, eggplant, zucchini, etc.

Is Publix any better than Kroger? Would it help if I bought fresh produce that is open as opposed to those packaged? For example, Kroger sells an organic brand of celery sticks wrapped in a plastic bag. Organic or not, they suck because they are hard, leave no juices and don't have much flavor.
Again, engineered against perishability when God clearly intended these things to be highly perishable and with juices in them. Whole Foods has some that are open (no plastic bag). Maybe those would be better? Same with the carrots. Will those open and with leaves on be softer than those that come in plastic bags?

Any suggestions are appreciated (minus the one about "going back home" or growing my own vegetables ).

Whether I go home or not, America needs to get an actual agriculture soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 04:34 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Yeah get back to us when your "homeland" gets this little problem worked out.

European Food and Nutritional Action Plan 2015-2020

Interesting that your working here instead of in your "homeland" since it's such a wonderful place with such wonderful access to fresh veggies.

No where else in the world can your find the kind of access to fresh quality and variety of food that you have here in the US.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:55 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,602,631 times
Join a CSA. you buy a share or shares of a local farmer's produce and he brings it to town once a week, whatever is in season then. The farmer typically has a number of drop-off points (few deliver directly to every customer but some do) and there should be one relatively close to you. It may be too late to join a CSA this season but you can sign up for next season. Sometimes they also offer eggs. You can good CSA for your zip code or county and see what comes up.

It's good for the farmer b/c he knows he has buyers for what he grows before the growing season starts, and the customers know they're getting good, local fresh in-season produce.

I have a friend who lives near Emory U and has been a CSA member for two nears now and says that she is almost a vegetarian now so that she's able to use up her delivery without stuff going bad. She also says she loves it.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Yeah get back to us when your "homeland" gets this little problem worked out.

European Food and Nutritional Action Plan 2015-2020

Interesting that your working here instead of in your "homeland" since it's such a wonderful place with such wonderful access to fresh veggies.

No where else in the world can your find the kind of access to fresh quality and variety of food that you have here in the US.
I am not even interested in clicking on your reported "little problem" because you are clearly politicizing things.

What part of "cardboard" you don't understand?

As for your last line - it lands somewhere between laughable and absurd.
If the cardboard at grocery stores like Kroger (which is what most people have access to) amounts to "fresh quality food" for you, then there is nothing to discuss here.
I never questioned the "amount" or the "variety". Yes, in the US you can find all sorts of exotic nonsense which where I come from you are less likely to find. So?

I questioned the quality of basic produce used on a regular basis in home-cooked dishes.
Bright red, big, shiny or seedless does not mean real quality in the world of produce.

Flavor and juiciness is what I am looking for.

Going by these standards, I am yet to find any decent vegetable that can be accessed easily and on a regular basis (in grocery stores). Farmers' markets seem to be placed millions of miles apart to the point where they are inaccessible on a daily basis for most people.

If fresh quality produce was so easily accessible to most Americans (close-by, flavorful and affordable), then most Americans would consume large amounts of such things.
Yet Americans are famous for avoiding vegetables and for eating from boxes on a regular basis.

What Percent of Americans Eat Their Fruits and Vegetables?

But I do wish you were right.

Last edited by syracusa; 07-18-2015 at 07:47 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Join a CSA. you buy a share or shares of a local farmer's produce and he brings it to town once a week, whatever is in season then. The farmer typically has a number of drop-off points (few deliver directly to every customer but some do) and there should be one relatively close to you. It may be too late to join a CSA this season but you can sign up for next season. Sometimes they also offer eggs. You can good CSA for your zip code or county and see what comes up.

It's good for the farmer b/c he knows he has buyers for what he grows before the growing season starts, and the customers know they're getting good, local fresh in-season produce.

I have a friend who lives near Emory U and has been a CSA member for two nears now and says that she is almost a vegetarian now so that she's able to use up her delivery without stuff going bad. She also says she loves it.

I thought about it - I just never knew where to start or whether it is even affordable.
If you typically end up paying significantly more than if you were buying the aforementioned cardboard at Kroger...then this might be a major disincentive.

I will look into it though - thank you for the reminder.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:46 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Atlanta had some great Asian markets there with good looking produce. Try there? That's where I get mine in my city. The produce tend to be local since the stores aren't franchised. Or as others suggest, CSA. There are farms all around that will deliver to pick up points in Atlanta. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2015, 08:11 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I thought about it - I just never knew where to start or whether it is even affordable.
If you typically end up paying significantly more than if you were buying the aforementioned cardboard at Kroger...then this might be a major disincentive.

I will look into it though - thank you for the reminder.
Then it's your issue not buying the same ingredients....either buy fresh and local or stop complaining and go back to your mother's house.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Then it's your issue not buying the same ingredients....either buy fresh and local or stop complaining and go back to your mother's house.
"Fresh and local" will generally be bought if "fresh and local" is easily accessible.
Quit pretending this is just about a simple choice people can make or fail to make.
People should not have to do acrobatics to find decent regular, basic produce.

Sure, if all else fails I (which it does), I will consider the acrobatics too, given how terrible those cardboard vegetables are and how fed up I am to spend hours in the kitchen only to get sub-mediocre meals because of horrible basic ingredients.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Atlanta had some great Asian markets there with good looking produce. Try there? That's where I get mine in my city. The produce tend to be local since the stores aren't franchised. Or as others suggest, CSA. There are farms all around that will deliver to pick up points in Atlanta. Good luck!

I remember one when we used to live in a different area.
I am not aware of any in the area I live. Most of us are sold to Kroger and Publix around here - or WF if you don't mind paying the WP.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:38 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
"Fresh and local" will generally be bought if "fresh and local" is easily accessible.
Quit pretending this is just about a simple choice people can make or fail to make.
People should not have to do acrobatics to find decent regular, basic produce.

Sure, if all else fails I (which it does), I will consider the acrobatics too, given how terrible those cardboard vegetables are and how fed up I am to spend hours in the kitchen only to get sub-mediocre meals because of horrible basic ingredients.
If you are living near Atlanta and have enough money to travel out of the country...you can buy fresh and local and learn what varieties of commercial produce will get you the results you want.

It sounds like you don't want to make that effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink