Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:33 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
There seems to be a movement that anything labeled "organic" must be just a marketing ploy. If something is labeled as "organic" there is, actually, regulation that must be followed. It is illegal to just stamp something as organic unless the grower has followed the regulation.

It really seems to be people who are conservative minded and therefore reject anything that might smack of progressiveness, environmentalism, liberalism, new ager philosophy, etc.

Quite frankly I don't understand the antagonism of the anti-organic movement. It's the way food was raised years ago, it is the way our grandparents took care of their kitchen gardens. Why would you think spraying chemicals all over food is a good thing? Especially when the sprayers are supposed to wear suits, gloves, and masks so they don't get it on their skin! Stop and think about that for a minute.
Big agribusiness saw the opportunity in the label "organic" but they really couldn't meet accepted requirements and produce on scale like they do. So they paid the politicians and the FDA to define what "Organic" means and the regulations to be able to sell something as organic. Surprise, surprise the regulations for Organic now include lots of lovely pesticides and fertilizers that were against the whole original organic movement. You have to hand it to them. So "Organic" does not mean "grown the way our grandparents did" or "no pesticides". They are currently produced much like all the other veggies out there. They just have to use one of the approved pesticides and fertilizers to do it.

TLDR

Your organic stuff still gets sprayed with chemicals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 11:36 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
Has any one though about how a crop/farm is certified organic and the field 10 feet away is not organic?

Food for thought.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:46 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
I only eat organic, that is why people confuse me 20 years younger

Old 07-17-2015, 11:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
I only eat organic, that is why people confuse me 20 years younger
Or it's your genes.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:32 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
How about "organic" as a regulated, legal definition?...
How about USDA Organic not being the only "Organic" label?

How about some of the other "Organic" labels allowing certain food additives for preservation and shelf life?

How about my original statement: "Some of us can actually discern "organic" as a sales ploy from "organic" as a concept?"

How about the attitudes of folks pushing the "Organic" agenda being more of a problem than the "Organic" concept?

^^^^That's what's wrong with organic food.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:36 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
A regional grocery story has a very active Facebook page with many people requesting that the stores carry this or that.

So today someone requested they carry non-organic fire roasted tomatoes because "I don't buy organic." It got several thumbs up from other customers.

Is this a "thing?" Is there now a problem with organic food?
FYI anyone can put a label on a food product that say it is "Organic". Usually the price of "organic" labelled products is significantly higher. Unscrupulous sellers use the label to increase products. So do you trust the seller enough to pay a premium price? Unless you know for sure you are probably getting screwed. Good intentions may cost you.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:38 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
There is nothing wrong with organic. Everything that comes out of my vegetable garden and berry patch is organic, mostly because I'm a plant it and leave it kind of gal.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Yes, I don't think the problem is with food being produced organically, it's with the mentality that it being produced organically must necessarily come at a premium cost.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:41 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Well Organic Free Range Chicken vs. industrial cooped chicken.
Same for eggs.

Straightforward where the preference is and in the case of the meat, the taste. I can even tell the difference on some eggs. Have bought the el cheapo 2 dozen vs. organic ones and do note a difference in the taste. The latter are better.

Regarding veggies and fruit cannot tell.

Last edited by Felix C; 07-17-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 07-17-2015, 02:44 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Well Organic Free Range Chicken vs. industrial copped chicken.
Same for eggs.

Straightforward where the preference is and in the case of the meat, the taste. I can even tell the difference on some eggs. Have bought the el cheapo 2 dozen vs. organic ones and do note a difference in the taste. The latter are better.

Regarding veggies and fruit cannot tell.
I agree with you there, I prefer the "air" cooled chicken than the regular slithery chicken sitting in all their "juices". The taste and texture of the chicken tastes vastly different too. Luckily for me the air cooled/smart chicken comes in regular and organic. Regular for me is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink