Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:51 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,130,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL - and therein lies the problem. If the "Organic" label really provides a guarantee of "healthier" food I shouldn't have to "read labels." The "organic" straw man just can't stand up on its own merits.

BTW - "Organic" doesn't mean it doesn't contain synthetic chemicals either.
Sometimes the "organic" food is grown in a plot of land that has not been sprayed with chemicals, but the soil has been contaminated by pesticide runoff from other properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 08:51 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
I have 2 piles of apples here. One pile is 100% natural and organic, the other is from an orchard that sprays Round Up on everything, along with fungicides, pesticides, injects trees with systematic chemicals, etc. etc.

1. Who will purposely choose the apples that have been sprayed multiple times with multiple chemicals, when given a choice? You? Why?

2. If you prefer to eat the chemically sprayed apples, why do you direct hate and judgment at those who choose to not eat chemically sprayed foods?

Negative comments towards people who prefer natural foods is a huge trend online that makes no sense at all.
First, if they sprayed Roundup on the apple trees, the trees would be dead; thus, no apples.
Second, I hope they sprayed insecticide, because otherwise, I will be eating little worms inside my apples. (What worse than finding a worm in an apple? Finding 1/2 a worm.)
Third, trees need fertilizer, which is plant food. I fertilize my home garden with Miracle Grow every 10 days throughout the summer.

Chemicals are not all bad.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:52 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,193,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
First, if they sprayed Roundup on the apple trees, the trees would be dead; thus, no apples.
Second, I hope they sprayed insecticide, because otherwise, I will be eating little worms inside my apples. (What worse than finding a worm in an apple? Finding 1/2 a worm.)
Third, trees need fertilizer, which is plant food. I fertilize my home garden with Miracle Grow every 10 days throughout the summer.

Read post 57. I already addressed this...

I never ate an apple with worms. I did not realize all apples had worms unless you sprayed chemicals on them. I only buy unsprayed apples...

Old 07-17-2015, 08:57 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,130,719 times
Quote:
I have 2 piles of apples here. One pile is 100% natural and organic, the other is from an orchard that sprays Round Up on everything, along with fungicides, pesticides, injects trees with systematic chemicals, etc. etc.

1. Who will purposely choose the apples that have been sprayed multiple times with multiple chemicals, when given a choice? You? Why?

2. If you prefer to eat the chemically sprayed apples, why do you direct hate and judgment at those who choose to not eat chemically sprayed foods?

Negative comments towards people who prefer natural foods is a huge trend online that makes no sense at all.
Organically grown fruits and vegetables do taste a lot better. I don't care for shiny waxy apples that taste mealy inside. I don't like giant-size strawberries with no flavor, just a terrible sour tartness that dries out your whole mouth. Especially with strawberries, I would prefer the organic because they are sweeter and yes, they look like like a 1/3 of the size of a regular strawberry but they are tastier and full of flavor. That said, buying organic is very expensive and I choose certain fruits to buy organic, like strawberries because they absorb more chemicals.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:11 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,732,547 times
The variety of apple often determines the mealiness....."Red Delicious" are not delicious, but usually mealy. "Sweet Tango" and "Honey Crisp" are my preferred apples. "McIntosh" are awesome. "Cortland" aren't bad. I usually get strawberries either from my garden, Sam's Club, or from my local "pick your own" patch.

I do not buy organic produce in the grocery store, simply because it is usually moldy, starting to decompose, is smaller than others, and is twice the price.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:19 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,118,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I think the facebook page post was paud for by Walmart. I raise humane cage free organic duck eggs BTW.
Actually Walmart is moving into organic in a big way. They already have quite a few canned organics that are little more expensive than regular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
A regional grocery story has a very active Facebook page with many people requesting that the stores carry this or that.

So today someone requested they carry non-organic fire roasted tomatoes because "I don't buy organic." It got several thumbs up from other customers.

Is this a "thing?" Is there now a problem with organic food?
No one would say that just because of the price difference because there are way more conventional options to begin with.

Canned tomatoes are one of the few things that can be better if conventional ..... Hunt's Fire Roasted and steam cooked tomatoes taste better than organic, which lacks character and is a bit mushy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think the "problem" with organic food lies in the cost differential and the fact that the term is basically meaningless and unregulated.
No, it's "Natural" that is meaningless and unregulated. "Organic" is highly regulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Big agribusiness saw the opportunity in the label "organic" but they really couldn't meet accepted requirements and produce on scale like they do. So they paid the politicians and the FDA to define what "Organic" means and the regulations to be able to sell something as organic. Surprise, surprise the regulations for Organic now include lots of lovely pesticides and fertilizers that were against the whole original organic movement. You have to hand it to them. So "Organic" does not mean "grown the way our grandparents did" or "no pesticides". They are currently produced much like all the other veggies out there. They just have to use one of the approved pesticides and fertilizers to do it.

TLDR

Your organic stuff still gets sprayed with chemicals
I was worried about that possibility, knowing how easy it is for lobbyists to manipulate politicians and the FDA. That's why I prefer Oregon or California Organic to USDA or foreign, when possible, but that's getting harder to find. Do you have specific examples or links?

Old 07-17-2015, 09:54 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,118,692 times
Quote:
I raised my own flock also, and there is a massive difference.

Factory eggs are pale and washed out, pale yellow yolks with little nutrition and thin shells. My eggs had ultra hard healthy thick shells, and super dark orange, rich yolks. My birds ate a high protein diet rich in insects and raw plants, and free from chemicals. They were not drugged, fed gmo grain, and raised on a 100% unnatural vegetarian grain diet like store bought eggs. I knew a woman who owned a commercial egg farm and when I asked her if she was bothered by flies with all those poultry barns on her property, she said " Nah, we feed the bird drugs so when they poop, the flies aren't attracted to it." I can assure you that my personal eggs did not have commercial fly repellant in them either.
Yes ..... I wouldn't call it a massive difference, but there is a difference in flavor between factory-farmed and free-range organic. The organic is a bit sturdier and more complex, which translates into slightly better fried eggs and omelets, but seems to be a little worse for hard boiled. Nutritionally, true free-range with lots of time outdoor results in eggs that are higher in vitamins A and D, and omega 3s.

However I don't generally buy organic for the taste (with the exception of heirloom tomatoes and strawberries). It's more about compassion: for the environment and for our bodies. It's sustainable for the soil structure and doesn't introduce a lot of odd chemicals into the environment (odd in the sense of having molecules that are chemically different than the food chemicals we are adapted to by evolution). Some like Organic Valley add a social benefit as they are co-ops which pay the farmers the amount they individually need, instead of privately- owned farmers who often go out of business because of low prices. That's why Organic Valley is more expensive than factory-farm organic corporations.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:55 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,672,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
That is absolute nonsense. Your body most DEFINITELY knows when it consumes pesticides.
But organic as it us currently used doesn't mean pesticide free...

Old 07-17-2015, 09:56 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,672,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

Food is chemicals....something some want to forget (I'll be nice as assume the understand that.)

Old 07-17-2015, 09:56 PM

22,601 posts, read 24,418,850 times
Price, organic is usually more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink