Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 01:20 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Yeah, our country has Monsanto.......and jobs.

When a good job in your country is cabbage grower you better have some good cabbages.

Welcome to the American Internet. Let me know when your country lands someone on the moon, something the United States did over 40 years ago.
They built Parthenon when Americans (and their ancestors) were... well... how to say it politely... almost savages. It was 447 B.C. And Greeks and Romans called them Barbarians back then ). So technically, US is well behind. My ancestors were probably wearing animal skins, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 01:26 PM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My MIL loves okra. I can tolerate it, but it's definitely not something I would go out of my way to acquire. I think it appeals mostly to those south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Only pickled and surrounded by a large martini
Plant it for its flowers. Some varieties are gorgeous.

Last edited by Threestep2; 07-22-2015 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
sanctimonious jingoist attitude
Wow!!! Never heard it. Thanks a lot for expanding my vocabulary.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:40 PM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
If you hang out with expats you will talk food sooner then later. The need to hang onto things and it keeps a lot of import businesses very happy and gives expats something to gripe about. OP did not answer my question about her home country.
I took a leisurely trip through grocery stores in the NW Ft. Worth, TX area today. My excused for playing hooky was scouting for cabbage. Eight stores later I still have no cabbage but lots of corn which is pig feed where I am from. My target was Aldi to Market Place. Google is your friend here.
My parents - in Europe - bought only a specialty cabbage and made their own sauer kraut. Please help me out here - Spitzkraut. It looks like a cone, has a mellow flavor but does not keep well and is particular about growing conditions.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Has the fact that the USA feeds the world entered into the picture?
How it is relevant?

And, instead of making presumptuous statements, go check the data.

Agricultural Exports and Imports - The 2012 Statistical Abstract - U.S. Census Bureau

US imports twice more of fruits and vegetables than it exports. That IMO confirms that fruits and vegetables here (not FM ones) are crap.

When I eat produce in AK I always think about orcs created by Saruman out of dirt in the caves below the ground ("Lord of the Rings" movie). I feel that produce is manufactured in a similar manner.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:51 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
I don't know the OP, so I can only base this on what they have said here, which while at times not particularly articulate it never seemed rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think there's anyone on here who is being an apologist for corporate agriculture; on the contrary, it has been recognized throughout this thread by a fair number of posters that OF COURSE the supermarket produce is sub-par. That's a known Fact Of Life In The United States.
Well you and I will have to just disagree on that, because I think comments like these indicate otherwise:

"Move back to your country of origin, where apparently everything is perfect; Grow your own vegetables; Buy vegetables only in season directly from growers; or Quit complaining."

"You are on the American team. You chose to live here. You just want to talk about how great where you came from is......but you chose to leave that place"

"I am not threatened by anything that the original poster has stated. I just find it odd that a country that has not jobs besides head cabbage grower also lacks manners."

"Yeah, our country has Monsanto.......and jobs. When a good job in your country is cabbage grower you better have some good cabbages. "

"Any complaints with the food? Grow your own food. You can grow tomatoes anywhere. Grow your own. Has the fact that the USA feeds the world entered into the picture? "

"Welcome to the American Internet. Let me know when your country lands someone on the moon, something the United States did over 40 years ago. k"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Don't believe me? Read the second sentence of the first post in this thread: For non-Americanophiles, what are qualities that even YOU would credit the US culture with?
I just did and it says: "I suppose I could qualify as a non-Americanophile. I tend to identify more negative aspects of American culture and lifestyle than I identify positives. However, all cultures have their positives and negatives, no matter how you twist it."

So why are you shocked by that? Because they said it in a public forum? Get out a bit and talk to people who were not born in this Country and you will find that a number of them share that sentiment. Or, even better travel to other Countries. Even our neighbor to the North is frequently simultaneously amused and disappointed in us. Issues such as our fight over whether or not every citizen is entitled to healthcare, the fact that we still support the death penalty, our high rate of gun crimes, and the huge number of people we have in prison does not make us particularly well liked in most other Western Countries. That they disagree with us on those issues does not mean that they hate us.

This will be my last post on the issue, I would much rather talk about food than this kind of crap. If anyone wants to continue it, please feel free to start a thread in an appropriate forum and I will gladly participate.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:03 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
I don't know the OP, so I can only base this on what they have said here, which while at times not particularly articulate it never seemed rude.

Well you and I will have to just disagree on that, because I think comments like these indicate otherwise:

"Move back to your country of origin, where apparently everything is perfect; Grow your own vegetables; Buy vegetables only in season directly from growers; or Quit complaining."

"You are on the American team. You chose to live here. You just want to talk about how great where you came from is......but you chose to leave that place"

"I am not threatened by anything that the original poster has stated. I just find it odd that a country that has not jobs besides head cabbage grower also lacks manners."

"Yeah, our country has Monsanto.......and jobs. When a good job in your country is cabbage grower you better have some good cabbages. "

"Any complaints with the food? Grow your own food. You can grow tomatoes anywhere. Grow your own. Has the fact that the USA feeds the world entered into the picture? "

"Welcome to the American Internet. Let me know when your country lands someone on the moon, something the United States did over 40 years ago. k"

I just did and it says: "I suppose I could qualify as a non-Americanophile. I tend to identify more negative aspects of American culture and lifestyle than I identify positives. However, all cultures have their positives and negatives, no matter how you twist it."

So why are you shocked by that? Because they said it in a public forum? Get out a bit and talk to people who were not born in this Country and you will find that a number of them share that sentiment. Or, even better travel to other Countries. Even our neighbor to the North is frequently simultaneously amused and disappointed in us. Issues such as our fight over whether or not every citizen is entitled to healthcare, the fact that we still support the death penalty, our high rate of gun crimes, and the huge number of people we have in prison does not make us particularly well liked in most other Western Countries. That they disagree with us on those issues does not mean that they hate us.

This will be my last post on the issue, I would much rather talk about food than this kind of crap. If anyone wants to continue it, please feel free to start a thread in an appropriate forum and I will gladly participate.
I'm not "shocked" by that at all, and lol, believe me, I am surrounded by people not born here (which happily makes where I live and work a gold mine of culinary choices!). That is not the issue. You completely missed my point. Doesn't matter, it's done.

Yes, let's talk about food. That is what this forum is supposed to be about--which IS my point.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:10 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
OP is most likely living somewhere with rubbish veg.

The US has excellent selection of foods in many areas, of course some are better than others, I find in the south the selection does not suit me as well, but on the upper west coast, there is everything and more. And each year the fresh food departments get bigger and better, bringing all sorts of produce from around the world.

We are spoilt for choice and quality.
Perfect example: Today I walked several blocks to a farmer's market in Manhattan where there were farmers from NJ and PA. I got beautiful red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, beets, peaches, nectarines, and a cucumber. They had samples out so you could taste the peaches, nectarines, cantaloupes, and tomatoes before you buy. I didn't buy the cantaloupes because they didn't have that much flavor, but the other items were delicious. The fruit and vegetables were not all perfectly shaped and uniform in size.

Then I ran into the Whole Foods a block away to get a piece of salmon from their salad bar/buffet to go with my salad. They too had produce. I noticed perfect-looking plum tomatoes with a sign proclaiming that they were from California and Mexico. I'm pretty sure that what I got outside under the tents tastes a lot better than what WF was offering.

In the winter, however, if I really want tomatoes, I might have to settle for that.

I see a lot more coming in from South America now, too, especially when it's their summer and our winter.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-22-2015 at 02:34 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:

^^^^
This.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:15 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
They built Parthenon when Americans (and their ancestors) were... well... how to say it politely... almost savages. It was 447 B.C. And Greeks and Romans called them Barbarians back then ). So technically, US is well behind. My ancestors were probably wearing animal skins, too.
Yeah, they had a hell of a lead. And what have they done since then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink