U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:20 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,063,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debjane View Post
I would recommend avoiding water-based products in fondue. Fruit juice makes it awfully sweet, although I have often had fondue made with white grape juice and/or apple juice. I served as an LDS missionary in Switzerland, and some locals make it with sparkling cider, or even tomato juice. You can always use baking wine. Both chicken stock and milk can be used as additional ingredients, but I wouldn't use too much of either.

When making fondue, be sure to use at least two types of imported cheeses--one good and stinky and the other mild. It's good to throw in some cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, and Mirador (if you can find it at an import store).
Thanks for the advice Deb, its not that I am morally opposed to alcohol, I did however grow up in a religion that did not believe in drinking. As a result I rarely drink. I know very little or nothing really about wine.

I might try it with a combination of sparking apple cider and organic chicken broth. My daughter loves to drink Martinellis which comes in a wine like bottle but is only sparkling apple juice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 05:24 PM

20 posts, read 78,561 times
Oh, another quick note...the general rule for cheese is a 1/2-pound per person.

Be sure you're using a ceramic pot (not a metal because they're so thin that the cheese will burn--the metal type are meant for chicken broth and meat, known as Fondue Chinoix (as in Chinese fondue)). Anyway, cook it first on your stove on medium-high, stirring constantly. When it's ready, move it over to the traditional stand and burner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink