Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 03:19 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,001,124 times

Advertisements

Around here, if you're willing to take in unwanted roosters, there's abundant fresh chicken. They are generally really tasty, but generally not so tender. Mostly because by the time they are crowing and annoying the folks enough to get rid of them, they aren't tender anymore. Stewing hens are somewhat similar. Flavorful but not tender. So, you get a rooster or stewing hen to make the broth and a tasteless young chicken for the meat and you'll end up with a really good chicken soup.

If you have access to grasses and greenery, a few rabbits would be a really good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 10:46 AM

30,606 posts, read 18,164,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where in the heck are you getting any groundbeef for $1.99 lb? BTW, some fat on the chicken makes it more flavorful and not nearly as dry. Again, as has been explained over and over, you do not get good quality meats at a reasonable price. Not to mention what do you consider reasonable? $5.00 lb for ground beef, or $3.50 a lb. Chicken at .99 lb or 2.00 a lb?
The only place I find ground beef (and fresh, I might add) is at this Chinese supermarket (the place is huge) in Brooklyn's Chinatown we shop at. But, then again. all fresh meats and produce are cheap there.

At this market, chicken legs cost between $0.59-0.69/pound, leg quarters cost $1.19 a pound, goat meat is $3.99 a pound (for NYC, that's a good price for goat), sweet potatoes/cabbage/roma tomatoes all are $0.49 a pound. I absolutely love this place!

Old 07-23-2015, 01:32 PM

24,422 posts, read 10,748,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Thank you for all the detailed info, mainebrokerman!

I knew about watching for sales and flyers - but I wasn't aware of the possibility of buying primals and then cutting them myself. Can you do this at a regular grocery store or should I look for independent, local butcher shops and establish a relationship with them?
This might be a good solution as we have a small freezer in the basement.

I was also not aware of the "loss leader" strategy - interesting.
I wonder whether it would be really profitable for stores to use good quality meats as loss-leaders? ...
You can actually do it in the privacy of your own home. Just buy whatever you need from rabbit to cow. You can pick up skinned and hung depending locally. You can also go a bit off the grid by hunting. We had the most lovely venison and lots of it while we lived in Georgia and Alabama. Back to domestic - some farmers sell semi cut, some even sell freezer wrapped. Check your area's game butchers as they often work for farmers during off season.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:56 PM

32,621 posts, read 47,917,264 times
I've raised a lot of meat, of all species, for my family. I know what it costs to raise premium meat and, believe me, it is not cheap to raise it right. There is no way that anyone can sell you premium quality meat for cheap. If you want good meat be prepared to pay for it.

The only way to get superb vegetables and fruit is to raise your own or else be lucky and have a neighbor who gardens and over-plants.

I have places where I buy decent enough veggies and fruit that can at least be eaten. I buy all the beef that my family eats. My sources and my prices do you no good, OP. You dont live where I live so you can't shop where I shop.

I buy my beef at a restaurant supply store. It comes in big 20-40 pound chunks and I hand cut it I to pieces that I want and I've got a good meat grinder and I buy whole choice grade certified Angus shoulders and grind my own burger.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:56 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,930,121 times
I've learned a few things on this thread (thanks MaineBrokerMan!), and hope the OP has questions about buying seafood next!

Old 07-23-2015, 04:34 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,913,441 times
Will not waste my time reading all the posts as I was in the Grocery trade for 23 years and know all the angles......Whlse and RETAIL.

With the Meat cutters Union scale Meat is NOT going to be cheap. Have you ever seen how they acquire the meat for Ground Beef?.....they use a sharp boning knife to cut/scrape what meat is left on a bone and then will add FAT all going into a grinder for a blend mixture. That is why you will see a label saying "85% Lean and 15% Fat or close to those numbers.

The Govmt does check for accuracy re those numbers......then again a different cut of meat might get into the Ground Beef and thus a weird taste (happened to me at one purchase).

As for Fruit and Vegies depends on where they come from...local farmers or Imported from Mexico/South America..

With the price of Beef (supply/demand) a store I went to yesterday sold Ground Chicken and I bought some thick cuts of Pork center cuts for less then $3.69 a lb. Just happened to think I could cut into small pieces and use it for Tacos....instead of precut at a higher price.

Key word would be "Distribution" when it comes down to a cost of any item.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 07-23-2015 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-23-2015, 07:38 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,604,893 times
For good fruit and veg you need to develop skill in picking it out (smell! Your nose is so useful!), but also find a supplier you trust. The buyer is tasting the produce and deciding what to buy. If you find a shop where the buyer does a great job you'll be able to trust their stuff.

As for price, keep in mind what is in or out of season, that is a huge driver of cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink