U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is yogurt the best food ever?
Yes 7 20.59%
No 26 76.47%
Pudding is 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:51 AM

667 posts, read 2,097,572 times

Advertisements

I do not know what breakfast would be for me if there was no yogurt.
The 'best food ever' well, I don't know about that, but I sure do love it!!
YOPLAIT whips (oooh...yummmm), Orange Creme, Thick French Vanilla, Pina Colada, Banana Creme Pie, Boysenberry, Strawberry....they are all SO wonderful!

This morning I had a Chocolate Mint Whips. So yum, but low on cals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 AM

31,159 posts, read 57,274,608 times
LOL about pudding being a choice in the poll!

Yogurt is one of those health foods gone wrong. All the sugar and other junk that goes into it ... it's not really much of a health food. I guess whatever it takes to get people to eat it ... and the sugary stuff does make a good dessert on occasion ... but I prefer nonfat, plain yogurt either on its own or with fresh fruit.

cspinet.org has some interesting info about yogurt.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:54 PM

10,117 posts, read 16,713,055 times
I don't like the sweetened fruit-flavored yogurts at all, but I eat plain low-fat yogurt regularly. I use it mostly when sour cream would be called for -- such as on potatoes or black bean tacos, or as the basis for onion dip. You almost can't tell the difference, and it's got a lot less fat and a lot more nutritional value.

I drain the yogurt first to thicken it, that's lots cheaper than buying the already thick Greek yogurt.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:14 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,148,217 times
I never buy sweetened or flavored yogurt.
Anything I eat it with is put there by me.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:44 AM

7,574 posts, read 9,553,992 times
I like vanilla or banana yogurt and I put my daily dose of flaxseed in it. I do try and watch the sugar content though because some brands are very high.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:45 AM

7,574 posts, read 9,553,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I never buy sweetened or flavored yogurt.
Anything I eat it with is put there by me.
Thats a good idea. I would like to try and eat the plain which is probably better for you and just add things to it for flavor.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:00 PM

746 posts, read 3,115,005 times
I like real yogurt, without the sugar or corn syrup. And if I can find yogurt made with sheep and goat's milk, I am in heaven!

The American stuff is just awful, over sweetened corporate glop. Like someone else said, I add my own flavoring.

The real yogurt from Greece that I like is FAGE and is thicker since they drain the excess water out, concentrating the flavor and making it creamier without additives.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:59 PM

955 posts, read 1,917,345 times
Basically, I have a dish of it every day and I love it. It's my evening snack and here is how I have it:

I thaw out some frozen blueberries and put some DanActive in the bowl. Then I top it off with low fat vanila yogurt. I mix it all together and put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes (kind of stiff but not frozen solid). I sit down at the TV and eat away. Sometimes I put some granola on top.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:01 AM

26 posts, read 112,086 times
Its hard for me to find any of the unsweetened yogurt here. Its all that commercial sweetened junk or Artificially sweetened. Its amazing how the fat people of TN buy the crap out of it and other diet stuff, and thinking having it for a snack after eating a 1/2 lb. whopper and king fries will help them loose weight.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 AM

367 posts, read 1,509,694 times
I am a huge believer in the goodness in Yoghurt and think that the greek style (which my local publix now sells in huge pots) is the best. It's more like a creme fraiche, or cream, less bitter than other plain yogs. I serve it to my children with fresh (or frozen if necessary) blueberries with a drizzle of natural honey over it.
They love it. Sprinkle on some grapenuts for crunch is what my husband does.
The other day I served it with some italian cookie things (can't remember the name of them, they look like very thin and crispy waffles) and raspberries and honey, dropped a couple of chocolate chips on it, and they thought it was a great dessert. The friend who joined them for lunch though it was an icecream sundae! Didn't realize he was eating yoghurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink