U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 10:55 AM

2,533 posts, read 2,695,029 times

Advertisements

So one thing I've been noticing about most foods in the grocery store or restaurants...the sodium levels are sort of disgustingly high. We are only supposed to eat 1500-2300mg of sodium per day[1]...yet I regularly see 1 serving of 1 item have 750, 900mg. I got a sub from Food Lion a few weeks ago and it had 2160mg. I just looked up Denny's Grand Slam breakfast, as I WAS planning on going there, and it's at 3610mg. A can of beans in my pantry has 700mg in a 1/2 cup serving. Who only eats a 1/2 cup? Not me!

Soooo what's the deal here? Is there any way to "counteract" a high sodium meal? You can work off calories and fat, but what about sodium?

[1]http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/sodium/art-20045479

Old 08-02-2015, 11:19 AM

101 posts, read 352,342 times
One can counteract a high sodium meal by drinking more water after the meal. When I eat salty foods, I get really thirsty! I love salty food.

Here's an article on how to de-bloat after too much salt:
How to De-Bloat After Too Much Salt Intake | LIVESTRONG.COM

One way to avoid this problem is not to eat packaged foods or canned food, and cooks meals at home made from scratch. It usually tastes much better, too! I try not to buy prepackaged food or food in a can. I do buy some items in a can, only because I'm too lazy to make it or it's just to hard to make from scratch. I do try to limit eating out of cans to just a few times a year.

I don't worry about my salt intake because I make most of our meals. I do eat foods that are pre-made and packaged once in a while, but when I do, I get super thirsty. We buy coconut water and that helps me rehydrate.

Also, my Vietnamese mother said she drinks hot tea while eating because it helps with digestion, especially if something is salty.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:37 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Avoid processed food with added salt. End of problem.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:53 AM

14,933 posts, read 26,640,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Avoid processed food with added salt. End of problem.
Agreed.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:04 PM

696 posts, read 1,327,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
A can of beans in my pantry has 700mg in a 1/2 cup serving. Who only eats a 1/2 cup?
Rinsing canned beans in plenty of water reduces the sodium level, but would be impossible to measure. If you insist on purchasing canned beans, many no or low-sodium varieties are available. Better yet, buy a bag of dry beans. Soak. Cook. No sodium, and big cost saving.

As with canned beans, there are many pantry staples also available with no or reduced sodium.

Many processed low calorie and low-fat products are higher in sodium than their full calorie, full-fat counterparts. Salad dressings for example.

You cannot control sodium in pepared foods, restaurants, etc., which is why, for those on a sodium-restricted diet or just watching their intake, eliminating processed foods is the only way to go.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:18 PM

14,933 posts, read 26,640,695 times
We cook and eat at home. Much healthier and cost effective also. The slow cooker is our best friend where beans and soups are concerned. We are filtering our water instead of drinks that contain sodium.

First step is reading labels so great job there!

Old 08-02-2015, 12:25 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,813,690 times
I don't cook with a lot of salt so I never noticed the high sodium until I was pregnant. Canned green beans made my ankles swell. We've noticed restaurant foods often have high sodium. We may notice it more because I don't add a lot of salt when I cook. I've been paying attention to what I cook. If I use a pre-packaged sauces or flavorings, bacon, ham, or certain other foods, I omit the salt so I don't end up over-salting the meal.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:00 PM

431 posts, read 325,581 times
It's a big problem if you have any issues with sodium.
I have a kidney problem so I have to avoid sodium. I basically never go out to eat nor can I buy anything pre packaged, including bread, sausage, chips, cookies, breakfast cereal etc. Even a lot of prepackaged chicken breasts are injected with high sodium chicken broth. I'm effectively a vegetarian.

It kind of sucks since so much of life revolves around food. Especially in the USA where people go out to eat all the time.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:03 PM

3,098 posts, read 1,466,091 times
Takes a lot of the joy out of eating, doesn't it. I have high blood pressure and try very hard to watch my sodium intake. My very favorite food is pizza and I rarely have it because of the carbs and my blood sugar, and also because of the sodium. When I do indulge, I no longer get meat toppings or olives, and would never get extra cheese. I don't buy deli lunch meat any more and often think how silly I was all those years when I was eating turkey sandwiches for lunch, thinking it was a healthier option, and the turkey is loaded with sodium. On the rare occasion that I buy deli meats, I ask about the sodium content and they are usually very helpful with that.

A lot of the eating places today, even fast foods, give the nutritional content of the prepared foods, so it's pretty easy to be selective when you eat out. Unfortunately, I love Asian-style food and that's often the worst offender.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:50 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I don't buy deli lunch meat any more and often think how silly I was all those years when I was eating turkey sandwiches for lunch, thinking it was a healthier option, and the turkey is loaded with sodium. On the rare occasion that I buy deli meats, I ask about the sodium content and they are usually very helpful with that.
Virginia ham from the deli has a lot less sodium in it than turkey from the deli. I don't know why I was so surprised to find that out, but I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.