Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:56 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times

Advertisements

Without being too pretentious it doesn't hurt to remember that preparing food en gelee or in aspic has a long and respectable history and was once the signature of fine dining.

I guess Jello just brought it to the huddled masses. I'm thinking aspic is to Jello what a fine wine is to strawberry schnapps.

Aspic | The Real History
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 10:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Do you have a picture? That sounds simply beautiful!

I remember stained glass Christmas cookies in the 70s.
I still make those cookies every Christmas. I don't like baking cookies all that much, so when I do, I like to really knock it out of the park.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:16 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Without being too pretentious it doesn't hurt to remember that preparing food en gelee or in aspic has a long and respectable history and was once the signature of fine dining.

I guess Jello just brought it to the huddled masses. I'm thinking aspic is to Jello what a fine wine is to strawberry schnapps.

Aspic | The Real History

Very true! My family spent some summers at a rather upscale mountain resort where "jellied madrelene" was always on the menu as was tomato aspic.

It was one of those dress for dinner and lunch places - not unlike the one depicted in "Dirty Dancing".

Good times. Games on the lawn. Sing alongs and jellied beef soup.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/vo0436mj...lene-soup.html

Old 08-04-2015, 10:26 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,157,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Do you have a picture? That sounds simply beautiful!

I remember stained glass Christmas cookies in the 70s.
I tried to find a picture on the Internet for you, but what I did find didn't show off the beauty of the Cathedral Window Jello dessert. I have never made this before, but I remember seeing this dessert in person and it was awesomely gorgeous. I think you have to make it yourself or see it in person to appreciate how beautiful it is - pictures do not do it justice. I remember the Christmas Stain Glass cookies and they were also very beautiful, especially when they had a light reflecting behind them - incredible! If I do run across a picture that rightfully shows off the Cathedral dessert's beauty, I will be back with it.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Jell-O cake is still a staple a Lutheran church potlucks in the summer. It's good!

Pretty, too...

Old 08-04-2015, 10:40 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
One of my maternal aunts used to make the best jello parfaits when I was kid. I swear she had a zillion different recipes.

I spent half a summer at my cousins house in the mountains one time and seemed like every other night she had a different type. That lady loved to cook. This was on the Italian Oakie side of my family.

Some of my best summer memories are of spending time with my cousin riding dirt bikes, playing army with pellet guns, fishing and hunting rabbits, birds in in the mountains around Jackson California. Then getting home for dinner which was always fantastic as well but oh those jello parfaits.

No one has every been able to make the ones as good as my auntie T.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,714,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
For holidays, my mom always makes the Jello salad that her mom made--black cherry jello with canned black cherries in it. As far as Jello molds go, it's not bad.
So did my mother. The recipe was layers of black cherry Jell-O alternating with layers of canned green grapes, sour cream and canned sour cherries. I used to think it was the classiest Jell-O dish ever and look forward to having it, but now the thought of it makes me queasy.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
OMG some of those aspic recipes from the 40's, 50's and 60's are crazy.
I love tomato aspic and so does my brother or he did anyway. I have fixed it in years. The rest of the family thought I had lost my mind. This makes me want to try it again.

I doubt I have made jello salad in 30 years, but when I had my knee replaced ealier this year a friend brought dinner. One think that she had made was a basic raspberry jello salad with just the jello and fresh raspberries. It really was awesome. If nothing else this brings back the days when I was growing up. Mom made some sort of jello once a week.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Was the green stuff pistachio pudding? Sounds like she was making watergate salad: Watergate Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Speaking of salad, it's funny how the definition used to include something with pudding and marshmallows! It seems like almost all of these Jell-O recipes were called salad, even if it consisted of meat and cheese inside gelatin. I guess any cold dish was called a salad back then.
No, it was lime Jell-O (my favorite) with (I think) cottage cheese. I did try to make Watergate salad once because my husband loves pistachio pudding, but I could not get the powder to dissolve properly and it was rather gritty. It sounds good though.

I know aspics have a long and proud history but meat aspic? tomato aspic? Nope nope nope.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
Now I'm really craving some jello. Nothing weird, just with some berries in it or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink