Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 05:57 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

If I had a gift card to splurge, I would buy a cast iron dutch oven in a beautiful color. And some bamboo utensils and new baking sheets if i had money left over. Lucky duck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 06:59 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
I would not get an appliance that will take up counter space.

I would get more great knives.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:56 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Well, it depends what you already have. But in my opinion the most useful things in my kitchen are 1. a very good quality knife, 2. I would say skillet but since you already bought one, I'd say an enamel over cast iron Dutch oven (such as Le Creuset). That should take care of the rest of the money, easily. I am also inordinately fond of my Microplane grater and find it able to do things for which there is no substitute.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:18 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I would not get an appliance that will take up counter space.
We have a decent-size kitchen, but I have a big mixer and toaster that live on the counter along with the coffeemaker and dish drainer, and then I have a food processor, coffee grinder, food steamer, pasta maker, assorted crock pots, blender, food dehydrator ... those live in cupboards and the basement. I need like ten feet of counter space for that stuff. It's nuts! My husband thinks we should get a rice cooker but if I have to find a place for another chunky counter appliance I may lose my mind.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:48 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
We have a decent-size kitchen, but I have a big mixer and toaster that live on the counter along with the coffeemaker and dish drainer, and then I have a food processor, coffee grinder, food steamer, pasta maker, assorted crock pots, blender, food dehydrator ... those live in cupboards and the basement. I need like ten feet of counter space for that stuff. It's nuts! My husband thinks we should get a rice cooker but if I have to find a place for another chunky counter appliance I may lose my mind.
Hmmmm - I'm thinking this would be the PERFECT opportunity to convince your husband that you need to remodel your kitchen! After all - it's HIS rice cooker - and it should have a place to sit, right? So a complete kitchen remodel will be the most efficient way to make that happen! And you'll be needing the top of the line appliances/cabinets/countertops - it'll be the only proper way to set off and compliment the new rice cooker!

Old 08-13-2015, 03:58 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
How funny. I have a dinky kitchen with very little counter space, but the rice cooker and electric Zojirushi water kettle (which dechlorinates the water) stay out on the counter at all times. The Zojirushi is the most used item in my kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink