Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 06:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

Having said that, above -

If I really and truly did "just happen to notice" that someone was short-counting the cashier, I'd probably speak up, in a non-confrontational way. Something like - maybe I'd duck down to pick up a coin that I didn't actually drop, then come back up and say "Oh - oh I think you miscounted, there's 6 in there, not five." Because that's the only way I can think of that I'd be able to see what's in the shopping cart in front of the guy who's in front of me - by ducking down to actually SEE the shopping cart.

And then let the cashier take it from there, or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 06:43 PM

17,540 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
A thief is a thief. I've never seen this but to me it would be the same as shoplifting and I would say something.
Me too

Old 08-17-2015, 06:51 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Wow OP, you're incredibly observant to be counting every single thing the customer in front of you had, noting how many items of each product he told the cashier he had, noting a discrepancy of one of each type of item among all the items the customer really had in the cart and how many items he told the cashier he had, observing how he paid for his groceries, then adding up how many $$$ in groceries this customer supposedly shoplifted. I'm smelling something fishy, and it's not just the groceries in the shopping carts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I don't understand why you were so interested in HIS transactions in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah you'd REALLY need to be particularly observant in a grocery line, to notice what's in the shopping cart in the guy ahead of you - since the shopping cart is typically in front of the guy, and you're behind him. How else would the bagger be able to put the bags in the cart? The cart has to be at the end of the belt. With the guy next, and you after that.
^^^This depends on where you live. Here in most stores, you unload the cart from the front onto the conveyor belt and if the person behind is in front of their cart starting to unload their cart, you look directly into the cart of the person in front of you. There is not a lot of activities to engage in while waiting to checkout and there are no privacy laws regarding looking into the cart of another person. I have had people ask me about products in my cart while standing and waiting in line.

A lot of posters here sort of sound like they approve of shoplifting and cheating.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:56 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

1. This depends on where you live. Here in most stores, you unload the cart from the front onto the conveyor belt and if the person behind is in front of their cart starting to unload their cart, you look directly into the cart of the person in front of you.

2. There is not a lot of activities to engage in while waiting to checkout and there are no privacy laws regarding looking into the cart of another person. I have had people ask me about products in my cart while standing and waiting in line.
Yup, yup. I agree on both issues.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:12 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It is the cashier's job to guard against this sort of thing. If she was not, then perhaps they were in cahoots. I worked for Home Depot briefly, and I counted everything on the carts because at least once a day, some dishonest customer was trying to steal.
Or else the cashier gets paid so little money that he or she doesn't give a crap. The store owner is probably saving far more money by underpaying his employees than he's losing on potato chips. Honest to God, do you people get equally worked up over the thieves on Wall Street who are spending your retirement money on a third yacht? Personally, on the list of crimes against humanity, "A poor person stealing food" ranks pretty close to the bottom of things that I'd get worked up about.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:19 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

there are more people not working than working,,,
What, are you counting teenagers, retirees, and the disabled?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:20 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,169 times
You would be amazed the ways people can think of to shoplift. A friend used to work for Home Depot and said that it was a constant battle...merchandise hidden inside other items, stuffed inside clothes, price tags switched, anything you can think of. Then a different person tries to return the stolen items for money, which is why we all get hassled at the returns desk.

That's also why you see guys in the parking lots trying to sell gift cards for less than face value. They try to return something, but the store will only give them a store card, not cash. They then try to sell the cars for cash. Don't ever buy from those guys...they are thieves.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:23 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
It's amazing that the "dishonest" person in these posts is always using an EBT card.

I couldn't even tell you what an EBT card looks like in my state and I don't care.

Some people have too much time on their hands and they aren't using that free time checking out their fellow shoppers, but are more likely using that free time to make up stories on the internet.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Please, I used to be a cashier and a clerk at a store. This stuff happens all the time. Some people are just dirt bags pieces of @#$%.

The best guess rational I get from my part of it is that they don't think it's stealing if it's swiping from a chain store, aka corporation.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:36 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
The recent comments on here are perfect examples of some observations that Ive been noting lately on forums. There is some kind of subset of people who, when presented with a topic, will take a stance against the author of said topic regardless of said topic's credibility. In other words no matter what you say, x percentage of the population will disagree with you. For instance the author of this post points out that they witnessed shoplifting, and in response 3 people insinuated that something was wrong with the observer rather than the shoplifting in question. Its truly fascinating.
I know...but never say anything!
You are gutsier than I.

All of a sudden the OP is some weirdo for noticing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink