Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 12:17 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion99 View Post
I read recently that the rotisserie chickens were actually cheaper than a whole, raw chicken. The sight and smell of the chickens cooking away enticed people to buy one and then add a few sides (potato salads and so forth). So the store makes the money on the sides and takes a slight loss on the chicken.
It really depends on the store and the chicken. I've been singularly unimpressed by most of those rotisserie chickens I have seen in either grocery stores. Publix and Winn Dixie in this neck of the woods sells rotisserie chickens weighing around 2 lbs or so, for about $6.99, and often they're dried out and just look pathetic to me. Most packaged whole raw chickens of comparable weight I've looked at at the same time I looked at rotisserie chickens were several dollars less than that, even more when they were on sale. I agree the smell is mesmerizing, but when I have checked out the chicken, I wasn't impressed. And Walmart's rotisserie chickens, I have never seen them looking anything but sad sad sad. Maybe they sit too long, but they look like mummy chickens, LOL.

The only exception I can think of are the rotisserie chickens they sell in Costco. They are larger ( 3 lbs each) than grocery store rotisserie chickens and sell for $4.99 each. They sell quickly and are replaced all day and I have never had one of their chickens that was not fresh, hot and juicy. Those I imagine might be a loss leader for Costco.

I suspect you're right though, about the smell of those rotisserie chickens attracting the customers who then buy the sides to go with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
I agree with Travelassie. Rotisserie chickens can cost upwards of $8, but today, I'm going to Safeway to buy a whole chicken for 99¢/lb. I should be able to get a nice one for about $6 and I'll roast it myself. It'll probably taste better, too. I can get at least 4 to 5 meals off of that and 6 cups of chicken stock.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:57 PM

279 posts, read 361,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
The only exception I can think of are the rotisserie chickens they sell in Costco. They are larger ( 3 lbs each) than grocery store rotisserie chickens and sell for $4.99 each. They sell quickly and are replaced all day and I have never had one of their chickens that was not fresh, hot and juicy. Those I imagine might be a loss leader for Costco.
I am a sucker for those as well.

I agree with another poster that fresh chickens roasted by yourself are much better for you, but I do have a slight addiction for still hot Costco rotisserie chicken. Great now I'm hungry... What were we talking about again?!

Old 08-19-2015, 03:01 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It really depends on the store and the chicken. I've been singularly unimpressed by most of those rotisserie chickens I have seen in either grocery stores. Publix and Winn Dixie in this neck of the woods sells rotisserie chickens weighing around 2 lbs or so, for about $6.99, and often they're dried out and just look pathetic to me. Most packaged whole raw chickens of comparable weight I've looked at at the same time I looked at rotisserie chickens were several dollars less than that, even more when they were on sale. I agree the smell is mesmerizing, but when I have checked out the chicken, I wasn't impressed. And Walmart's rotisserie chickens, I have never seen them looking anything but sad sad sad. Maybe they sit too long, but they look like mummy chickens, LOL.

I suspect you're right though, about the smell of those rotisserie chickens attracting the customers who then buy the sides to go with them.
Yes, tempting, but not very good. Too small and undercooked IMO. I've had to throw them in the oven to finish cooking them. Hate raw chicken.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Yes, tempting, but not very good. Too small and undercooked IMO. I've had to throw them in the oven to finish cooking them. Hate raw chicken.
Aren't you supposed to put them in the oven? We always do and I think the labels say to as well( something like "before serving, reheat in oven until temperature reaches 165 degrees). By the time you get home with the chicken, they're not going to be hot.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:40 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Aren't you supposed to put them in the oven? We always do and I think the labels say to as well( something like "before serving, reheat in oven until temperature reaches 165 degrees). By the time you get home with the chicken, they're not going to be hot.
good post right here

Old 08-19-2015, 07:16 PM

33 posts, read 38,238 times
I was tempted just yesterday to cheat by writing the wrong number which was cheaper (bulk nuts where you write the number). However, it was just a temptation and I didn't do it out of principle. And because even if no one else is watching, God is watching.

Also, I probably would not notice someone doing what you described, because I usually don't stick my face into people's business like that and counting the number of items in their bag to see if they are lying (especially when I'm not the cashier). Maybe I would, but then again I don't think it's your responsibility.

Also, it may have been an innocent mistake. Maybe he did bad math. Maybe, he had the number in his head, and then subtracted one forgetting that he already subtracted one by taking one out.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:39 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah you'd REALLY need to be particularly observant in a grocery line, to notice what's in the shopping cart in the guy ahead of you - since the shopping cart is typically in front of the guy, and you're behind him. How else would the bagger be able to put the bags in the cart? The cart has to be at the end of the belt. With the guy next, and you after that.
This is silly.

First, everywhere I shop, the customer puts his own bags into the cart. But even if the OP's store is different, do you think they're bagging the items left in the cart? Are they going to set the bags of the other items on top of the items in the cart? Or is the shoplifter going to put his own bags into the cart?

Second, customers don't typically leave items in their carts, so MAYBE (ya think?) the procedure is a little different when the items are in the cart rather than on the conveyor belt? Like maybe the customer doesn't roll a cart full of food on down the aisle as if he were about to stroll right out the door without paying. I know that when I'm at Target and buying four or five gallons of bleach, and the checker suggests that I leave all but one in the cart to save me some trouble, I walk around in front of the cart.

Third, it is laughably easy to see what's in the cart of the person in front of you even if the person is in between your cart and his. If I'm in the express line, and I think someone might be over the limit, it's simple to count up his items.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:46 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,293,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
The recent comments on here are perfect examples of some observations that Ive been noting lately on forums. There is some kind of subset of people who, when presented with a topic, will take a stance against the author of said topic regardless of said topic's credibility. In other words no matter what you say, x percentage of the population will disagree with you. For instance the author of this post points out that they witnessed shoplifting, and in response 3 people insinuated that something was wrong with the observer rather than the shoplifting in question. Its truly fascinating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
Agreed ^^^
I also notice everything too, I don't have my eyes glued to my phone..
2 Thumbs up for these posts from me too.
Original OP, yes, next time say something. Realizing sometimes people may need assistance - temporarily, they may have cheated at the checkout, which they probably took some time to figure that racket out.
But on a probable bigger scale, they may have figured a way to beat the EBT system as well.
That is all our money and none of theirs. And it's all our responsibility to see our $$ goes to those who truly need it.
If you are on the ball enough to spot it - report it. I see and tell and feel better for doing so when the occasion arises and not one person ever could tell me I was wrong and make me believe it.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:50 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I was in line at the grocery store and the man in front of me had about 5 different types of items in his basket. He took one of each and put it on the conveyor belt, and then left the rest in the cart. So for example, he had one bag of chips on the belt, and then several more of the exact same type in the cart.

When he got to the cashier, he told her that there was X number in the cart for each item. So she would take each item and scan it X times. As he said this, I looked down into his cart, and I noticed that he gave her a lower number than was actually in the cart. It was just one lower than the actual amount. So he ended up getting about 5 items for free.

I also happened to glance over as he scanned his card and saw that it was an EBT card (food stamps). (Just an observation, not a judgment).

He only ended up getting maybe $5-$7 dollars worth of free merchandise.

I felt somewhat awkward as I had just witnessed someone shoplift.

Have you ever seen something like this? What did you do?
Sounds to me like a crooked customer and a crooked cashier. If this is a national chain, I would get in touch with the home office. They need to know they have a problem because this is costing all of us. We have to pay for that person's groceries twice. Once when we pay taxes and second when you pay for your groceries. It seems to me like groceries are skyrocketing and things like food stamps and shoplifting are two causes for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink