U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 07:42 PM

7,243 posts, read 9,588,980 times

Advertisements

Some very interesting recipes. Keep them coming. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 04:14 AM

6,415 posts, read 10,035,247 times
Tons of different things you can do, depending on what you're tastes are.

Sliders of many varieties
Meatballs of many varieties
Empanadas
Taquitos
Mini-sandwiches of many varieties (mini-reubens, pbj, etc)
Stuffed potatoes using little red potatoes instead of big ones

Old 01-25-2014, 04:57 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,393,299 times
I always make Sausage and Cheese bread for my guests. People love this and so will you.

SAUSAGE BREAD
2 pounds Italian or hot sausage (or one of each)
6 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
3 Cups mozzarella cheese (I actually use two packages of cheese)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon dried chives
Box Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix

Brown sausage, drain and rinse with hot water to reduce the grease and then let cool completely. After cooled mix with all of the above ingredients except the roll mix.
Mix the hot roll mix according to the directions on the box, except only let rise once for 15 minutes.
After rising for 15 minutes, separate the dough in half and roll out each half (on a lightly floured board) until rectangle of 15 x 10 inches. Put half the sausage mixture on each rectangle and roll into a log shape. Fold in the ends and use both hands to carefully turn to seam side down on a greased/sprayed cookie sheet. Note: Turning over might take the help of a friend to help make sure the log doesn't come apart. With practice you can do it by yourself.
Beat one egg and brush top of each loaf with the beaten egg. Bake 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Here is a sausage dip you might like. I sometimes make this for get-togethers and wow do people like this.

SPICY SAUSAGE HOT DIP
2 pounds Italian sausage (I sometimes use one Italian and one hot sausage roll)
2 cans Rotel tomatoes (I used mild but you might want to spice it up and use a hotter type)
2 packages cream cheese (large size)

Brown the sausage and drain well. Put all of the ingredients in a crock pot and cook until melted. Set on lowest crock pot setting and stir occasionally during your party. Serve with Doritos or similar chips.

This is a chicken wing recipe which isn't so hot or you can add more hot sauce to make it hotter if you desire.

Chicken Wings
2 cups vegetable oil
10 whole, fresh chicken wings, cut in pieces (20 wing pieces)
1 stick butter
4 tablespoons brown sugar
5 tablespoons tomato sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano, fresh or dried
Dash beer
1 dash or two of hot sauce (recommended: Frank's Hot Sauce)

Directions

Chicken Wing preparation: Heat 2 cups vegetable oil to 350 degrees F in a large skillet on stovetop. Drop wing pieces into hot oil and fry for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp. Transfer wings to paper towels to remove excess oil. Or, do as I do, and put them in a baking pan and bake them, covered with foil for about 30 minutes and then uncover and bake another 15 minutes at 350 F.

Buffalo Wing Sauce: Melt butter and brown sugar together over medium heat in a small saucepan on stovetop. Add tomato sauce and hot sauce into mixture. Finally, add garlic, onion powder, white pepper, chili powder, salt, and oregano. Add a dash of beer, to taste. Stir over low heat until mixture is well blended.
Toss sauce liberally over chicken wings. I typically put them in the oven or under the broiler for just a bit to set the sauce and crisp the wings a bit. Serve buffalo wings with blue cheese dressing, carrots and/or celery sticks.

I think you should always have an easy dessert too. Here's my most favorite Peanut Butter Cookie recipe. This make a superb cookie somewhat like the cookie used for peanut blossums except they crackle themselves.

CRACKLE TOP PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
3/4 cup margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
sugar for rolling cookie balls
Cream margarine and both sugars. Blend in eggs, peanut butter and vanilla. Add flour, soda and salt. Mix well. Shape a overfilled teaspoon of dough into balls and roll in sugar. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 375 for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not let the cookies get really brown. Makes about 4 doz. NOTE: These cookies crackle on the top by themselves...you don't have to press the balls down. I love these cookies!! YUM

I hope your super bowl day is filled with great food and a winning team, whichever team you're wanting to win!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:13 AM

7,243 posts, read 9,588,980 times
Rural Chick, I am a hot sausage freak so I am having trouble deciding now they ALL sound so good. Will let you know which I decide to use.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:02 PM

5,683 posts, read 8,878,435 times
One of our all-time favorites is BBQ3000 Chicken-Bacon Poppers. Doesn't matter what the crowd is, these things will disappear in moments.

BBQ 3000 Chicken-Bacon Poppers

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
1 lb. sliced bacon, cut in thirds
2 Tbsp Penzey's BBQ 3000 seasoning blend (see note)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Line a wide, shallow roasting pan with foil, lay a rack on the foil, and spray the rack with pan spray.

Wrap each cube of raw chicken with one of the one-third slices of bacon and secure with a toothpick. At this point, you can either put them in a covered bowl in the fridge until you are ready to bake them, or you can move straight on to the next steps.

Combine the brown sugar and BBQ 3000 seasoning in a wide, shallow bowl and mix thoroughly.

Drop each bacon-wrapped piece of chicken into the brown sugar and spice mixture and roll with your fingers to coat it liberally. Lay coated pieces of chicken on the rack.

Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes, until the bacon is crisp and the coating is nicely browned.

Note:
Penzey's is our favorite spice purveyor, and the BBQ 3000 blend is their version of a dry rub for barbecue. It's amazingly good in this recipe, but if you've got a favorite or preferred blend for a BBQ dry rub, it'll work, too.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:10 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am looking for some "WOW" appetizers for a super bowl party. I know about the ordinary ones which I actually love and will make. It doesn't necessarily have to be a theme type appetizer like wings for example.

I just want something that is different and a crowd pleaser in your experience. Thanks.
superbowl sunday is the second largest food consumption day of the year behind thanksgiving
and half of the consumption is wings and pizza over 90 million wings will be consumed

wings and or pizza sounds good to me,,,

meatballs are good

baby back ribs are good!!

kielbasa is good-sliced with dipping sauce as is sausage, bratwurst

shrimp is always good

breaded chicken tenders- real not formed

beef tips are always good...

Old 01-26-2014, 12:31 AM

3,043 posts, read 6,297,554 times
2 simple dips
Velveeta cheese and microwave with salsa then serve with Doritos or Tortilla chips
Spinach dip in a scooped out bread bowl. Then you cut up the inside of the bread bowl and eat it with the dip
Potato skins
If you don't want to order a whole pizza you can make individual ones

Old 01-26-2014, 07:37 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,393,299 times
@Nuts2. I thought of another recipe which has always gone over well at our super bowl house invite.

PIZZA MUFFINS

Ingredients: Canned Regular sized Biscuits - the number you need depends on how many muffins you want as each muffin takes one biscuit from the can (regular size contains 8 biscuits). (You can use grand size in the large muffin sized pan but I like the small ones better). You can use tomato sauce or pizza sauce, cooked and drained sausage (hot or Italian), ham, Canadian bacon, bacon, onions, green peppers, chopped pepperoni, sliced smoked sausage links, Mozzarella cheese or any of the listed items or any others you want - Be creative.

Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Spray the wells in a muffin pan with cooking spray. Put one raw biscuit and press the dough up the muffin well so it covers the well to the top. Use pizza sauce or tomato sauce (I use tomato sauce and mix in Italian seasoning, garlic and onion powders, black pepper and a bit of dried parmesan cheese) - spread the sauce on top of the biscuit. Start filling the muffin well with your chosen ingredients and top with Mozzarella cheese. Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until the muffin looks brown on the edges.

I used to take these to the office - I would always make about 3 dozen and they were always the first thing eaten! They are easy to make and you can assemble your ingredients ahead of time or even make them ahead and reheat them wrapped in foil although I always like to serve my guest freshly made items.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:43 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,709,568 times
Always do some wings, some chip and dip, shrimp, pepperoni and crackers...Stuff to munch on, nothing that involves any real
cooking..

Easy simple stuff for the game..Easy clean up too..

Old 01-26-2014, 12:10 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,810,086 times
Marinated crab claws say "wow" to me. The marinade can be made the day before, and the platter can be assembled very quickly. They're pretty expensive though. Marinated shrimp would be less expensive.

I also really like cheesy artichoke bread. It's just cream cheese, shredded Monterey jack, and chopped artichokes spooned into a hollowed out baguette. Run it under the broiler right before serving.

Crab Rangoon Mini Wonton cups - bake wonton wrappers in mini muffin tins, let them cool, and fill as needed with the crab/cheese mixture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink