U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 04:41 PM

34,555 posts, read 42,724,437 times

Advertisements

I made guacamole with chips and shrimp. Baked beans and corn bread for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 06:27 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,924,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I made guacamole with chips and shrimp. Baked beans and corn bread for dinner.
corn bread... Good corn bread is just about the best thing on earth. There was a time when I was able to make good corn bread, but somehow I lost my touch about ten years ago.

Are any of the store bought brands of ready made corn bread any good? Or can someone post a good corn bread recipe that is dunce proof?

Old 10-04-2009, 05:59 AM

14,933 posts, read 26,640,695 times
I continue to reference this thread for football Sunday's. Thanks everyone for your contributions!

Old 01-24-2010, 04:07 PM

14,933 posts, read 26,640,695 times
This year's Super Bowl is on February 7th. Anyone have any fresh menu ideas?

Old 01-24-2010, 04:45 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,459,022 times
My easiest go-to recipe for Buffalo wings: A can of chipotle, a jar of raspberry preserves, a stick of melted butter and some chopped Italian parsley in a blender. Cook the wings as normal either dredged in corn starch and fried, or baked/broiled. Then sauce them. If I bake or broil the wings I usually rebroil or throw them on the grill after saucing and brush with some reserved sauce, to deepen the glazing. Whenever I find raspberry preserves at the dollar store I buy jars just for this purpose. Simple and cheap. Orange marmalade and Dijon mustard with butter and red pepper flakes is another dollar store variation.

You can do a pulled pork or beef in advance in a crock pot. Let people serve themselves with warmed tortillas and garnishes. Milk-thinned sour cream, salsa verde and roasted salsas in squeeze bottles (prepared in advance). All do-ahead and easy. I know avocados are hard to find around the country and can be expensive. Try making a mock-guac with green peas cooked and mashed through a sieve. When seasoned with salt, chile powder, cumin, a bit of lime and roasted garlic it's really good in itself and keeps well.

Cheese Monkey Bread is perfect too. I also have a pretty foolproof pecan pie recipe that doesn't use corn syrup. But instead of chili or pulled meat, here's a good recipe for the tortilla wraps:

Chile Colorado

9 New Mexico dry chiles - washed, with stems and seeds removed
3 cups water
5 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cups beef stock or water

DIRECTIONS
Place chiles and 3 cups water into a medium stockpot, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes to soften. Strain into a bowl, reserving the cooking liquid. Place the chiles and some of the liquid into a blender, and puree until smooth. Add more liquid as necessary to form a smooth sauce. Pass sauce through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds and the tough skins; set aside.
Cut the roast into 1 to 2 inch chunks. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the beef chunks in the seasoned flour; set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add beef chunks a few at a time, so as not to overcrowd the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Remove cooked meat, and continue browning remaining meat. Return reserved cooked meat to the pot. Stir in pureed chile mixture. Add beef stock to just cover beef chunks, or to personal preference. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to lowest setting, and simmer for 3 hours, or until meat is tender. If necessary, adjust with more stock during cooking.

Last edited by Bunjee; 01-24-2010 at 05:27 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 06:03 PM

8,095 posts, read 12,743,355 times
Default Don't forget the ...

Super Bowl Eggs

1 dz eggs -- up to 2 dz.
1 white onion -- thinly sliced
1 jar yellow chilies with juice
1 can sliced beets -- up to 2 cans - NOT pickled beets!
1 c white vinegar
water

Hard boil and peel eggs. (The older the eggs, the easier they are to peel)

Layer in a gallon glass jar in order of ingredient list. Fill with water up to the top of the jar
Screw on a tight fitting lid, and put in the back of the refrigerator 3 days before the Super Bowl.
Serve with plenty of bheer. Yeehaw!

Old 01-25-2010, 02:14 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times
Here in Southcentral Texas its warm enough to grill...the love my kabobs

My tips...Pre-grill your meat. I use chicken, beef, pork, and polish kielbasa.

I grill and cut into pieces, then I place on skwers with onion, bell pepper, and fresh pineapple. then grill till veggies are tosty.

there a big hit with my group.

On the side of the grill, make some Jalepeno bombers...bacon wraped stuffed jalepenos

wc cut a jalepeno length wish and stuff with chicken oe shrimp, cream cheese and or monterey jack,
wrap with thick cut bacon, pin with tooth pick and grill...let cool slightly or creamcheese goes all over the place.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:40 PM

22 posts, read 25,882 times
Default Super Bowl Sunday menus???

First thread ... love to cook. We're having friends over for Super Bowl Sunday. I've been looking up recipes for entertaining.

Finger foods? Chili?
I'd like to do a few easy but new recipes. My cooking style is homemade, though I will take shortcuts, e.g. premade pie crusts for making empanadas. I'm wanting to experiment with sausage empanadas as an appetizer.

Ideas or favorite recipes???? We'll be having 6 to 8 people over.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 AM

4,574 posts, read 4,866,125 times
Question What are you cooking/eating for the Superbowl??

Big food day!! What are you eating/cooking today for the game? It will be a small gathering here today. Just my DD and myself (plus CW (the cat) and Bella (the piggy puppy).

Rotel/Velveeta dip. DD requested this one. I'll add more chili's to mine.

Garlic Herb Roasted Pork Loin
Roasted Potatoes
Fresh Green Beans sauted in EVOO and garlic

I'm also baking a whole chicken so I might make some chicken nachos.

GEAUX SAINTS!!

Old 02-07-2010, 10:02 AM

16,227 posts, read 21,985,147 times
Making my husband a huge batch of hot wings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink